View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Sharing Mozilla Thunderbird profiles in Windows and Linux Reply with quote

Hi there,

a few weeks ago I was assembling my new computer and the new hard drive is already partitioned with an upcoming gentoo installation in mind. It's going to be a dual boot box and currently holds Windows XP only. Yeah, shame on me, but I was waiting for my new graphic card to arrive before going through the whole X configuration thing. Well, not really a big deal, I know, but time is currently sparse. So anyway...

...what I want to achieve is having the same email accounts available whichever OS I boot. Thus I require to share the same profiles in Windows as well as gentoo.

My plan right now is to install Thunderbird on Windows first and set up my email accounts there. Then, after installing Thunderbird on gentoo, I'd mount the Windows partition (NTFS) containing the Thunderbird profile folder (should be at C:\WINDOWS\Anwendungsdaten\Thunderbird\Profiles\default\) and symlink the Thunderbird profile folder in gentoo (should be at ~/.thunderbird/default/) to the mounted Thunderbird profile folder.

What do you think? Will this work out? Or do you have a better idea to achieve shared Thunderbird profiles?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreas,

NTFS support in linux is somewhat limited. You need to put the shared items on a FAT32 (vfat) partition.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
dreas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
dreas,

NTFS support in linux is somewhat limited. You need to put the shared items on a FAT32 (vfat) partition.

Darn, I thought NTFS (including write) support got pretty stable during the last year. I would rather not re-install windows on a FAT32 partition and I don't think Thunderbird offers the option to choose an alternative profile folder. Cause if this would be the case I could simply drop the profiles on the already shared FAT32 partition (containing music, docs and stuff)...
rafael
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you make a small ext2 partition and mount it to your profile in linux, you could also use ext2fsd to mount the same partition in windows and link your settings folder to that partition. :)

I hope you understand what I mean.
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dual boot between win2k/gentoo and use thunderbird to share email between them, but...

AFAIK, linux can't read ntfs partitions, but updating ntfs is "experimental" - I haven't had the guts to try it, but if you do, I would backup everything first.

I don't think you can share the profiles directly - some of the prefs files (prefs.js or user.js I think) have full windows path names (c:\documents ...) in them - I don't know how you could make linux understand them.

What I did was set up a shared FAT32 partition between windows/linux and share email folders and the address book on it, like this:

1) In windows, start tbird with the profile manager and create a new profile on the fat32 partition and tell him to start that profile by default.

2) Copy your existing NTFS profile to the new one. You might rename the old one to be sure it's really running with the new one.

3) Move your email folders to the fat32 partition. In the tbird email account settings, I think under server properties, you can set the full pathname of the email folders. Exit tbird and copy your email folders to the new directory.

4) In linux: start tbird and set the email folders there to the same directory created in step 3 on the fat32 partition.

5) To share address books - in your linux tbird profile, delete or rename the abook.mab file there. Then symlink abook.mab to the abook.mab in your fat32 tbird profile.

HTH
piquadrat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

Darn, I thought NTFS (including write) support got pretty stable during the last year.

It did, with a little trick: Captive NTFS
dreas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Section_8 wrote:
1) In windows, start tbird with the profile manager and create a new profile on the fat32 partition and tell him to start that profile by default.

So it is possible to set up a profile on a different partition than the one Thunderbird got installed on? Well, I guess I'll have to try that, thanks a lot!
Robaer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I managed this by doing the following trick: I have an NTFS Partition for Windows and a Fat32 for my files. During logon /-off a script copies the neccessary file like the adressbook or filter rules from the sync folder on the Fat32 partition.

It's not a perfect solution, but it works..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: