Before I start..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lobsterbak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Before I start.. Reply with quote

I'll be installing(trying to)Gentoo again (I finally got another Harddrive). I have one harddrive with one partition for WinXP Home, and the other harddrive will have Gentoo (With Boot,Swap,and Linux partitions). What would the fstab and grub.conf look like?

I'll be moving to an apartment this weekend until our new house is finished, and I won't have the internet till its done, so I want to make sure I know what I need before I leave.

Thanks so much!
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the gentoo handbook
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml
and you will see how to setup your fstab and grub.
The best installations guide ever :wink:
400GB + 250GB Samsung SATAII HDD
Gentoo - BeyondSources 2.6.19-20
Ben2040
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll never learn anything if you keep asking questions....

OR, see above...

Ben
nathandial
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately without seeing more of your system it's impossible to say what fstab and grub.conf will look like. There's no telling which HD is on which controller, so you might have (hd0,0) in a place where one might expect (hd1,1), /dev/hda vs. /dev/hdc, and stuff like that. That's what the handbook is for.

GRUB's tab-completion is very handy for this part, as it will tell you about the filesystems of the various partitions, to make sure you don't try to mount your swap partition as root or something.

Likewise for your fstab. You'll probably have to change it a few times before everything is working right. I try to make sure I have the partitions right to boot the system, then there's some trial-and-error stuff to get your Windows partitions mounted right. for this (and fstab) you might want to write down your fdisk info when you're doing it near the beginning.

And of course. Read the handbook. Love the handbook. It really will help to go over the entire book before you start installing, and go over it again while you're installing. I've noticed all the happy Gentoo people who know what they're doing and help others, they all know the handbook like the back of their hand. (hence, the "read the handbook / it's in the handbook" replies) here's that handbook link again: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: