Failed to bring eth0 up
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casch810
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Failed to bring eth0 up Reply with quote

I know there are a miriad of threads about this problem, I've looked through them and not found anything to help me.

During the install, I couldn't get my card working until I typed
Code:
modprobe 8139too

after that my card was recognized and it worked like a dream. I just reboot and logged into my installation for the first time, and got the error
Code:

Failed to bring eth0 up

Error: Problem starting needed services.
"netmount" was not started

I'm a total Gentoo noob, so I tried typing in modprobe 8139too again, but it couldn't find it. ifconfig isn't even a recognized command and neither is net-setup. Don't really know where to go from here.

AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.4gHz
AOpen AK77 Pro mobo
DLink NIC (I forget the model number)
monkey89
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Failed to bring eth0 up Reply with quote

A few odd things here...

As for the network problems, it just sounds like you forgot to compile support for your network driver into the kernel. cd back into /usr/src/linux and make menuconfig, and under (device drivers first if you are using 2.6) network devices look for 8139too (if you go to the help function, it tells you the module name in case you aren't sure).

Net-setup is probably a script only found on livecds, however ifconfig is most definitely installed by default. You sure it didn't work? Were you root when you tried it?
Casch810
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I just wasn't logged on as root. Ifconfig works now.

I'm running the 2.4.25-gentoo-r6 kernel. I couldn't find 8139too in the menuconfig program, so I recompiled my kernal with tulip support as I've read in some cases NIC cards work with both 8139too and tulip. Still no go...

Alrighty, I found 8139too in menuconfig, recompiled, added it to modules.autoload.d and reboot. It's working great now :oops: I have a lot to learn
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: