Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo Linux on the Compaq R3000Z (or HP Equivalent)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Gentoo Linux on the Compaq R3000Z (or HP Equivalent) Reply with quote

OK, so I'm a high school senior in the market for a laptop for college. This morning, my dad pointed out the Compaq R3000Z as a cool laptop he'd want, so we took a trip down to the local Best Buy to check it out. Realized that on the surface, this laptop had about everything I wanted (plus about three pounds, heh...), but there was one thing I'm not sure on.

How easy is it to get Gentoo Linux to run on it? Or, more specifically, does Linux in general have any major issues running on this laptop? I know that the NForce 3 chipset, as well as the AMD 64 chips themselves, are relatively new hardware, and Linux usually doesn't get really good support for hardware until it's been out for a while.

Lastly, are there any other 64 bit laptops out there that aren't from "shady" companies? I don't have too much of a problem with buying generic parts for a desktop, but I'm rather leery of buying an entire machine from a third party company, even though it's probably fine, I'd rather not take the chance. I haven't been able to find many besides the HP/Compaq model, and it's kind of a shame.

Oh, and one more thing, how's the Linux support on HP/Compaq laptops in general?
kwiqsilver
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the two links mentioned here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=180542&highlight=
They both have details on getting linux (slackware and debian) on compaq amd64 notebooks.

Also, buy directly from Compaq/HP. I got mine nicely equipped for $400 less than at Circuit City. They shipped it for free, didn't charge sales tax, and included a $100 mail in rebate.
By ordering it directly, I was also able to get a better battery, more memory, etc. And I had it less than two weeks after I placed the order.
servo888
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 3190US :-). I'm still working on getting it fully running. Some things to point out; there are problems with the pcmcia expansion slot (only 16bit cards will run). There is also suspend / hibernate problems.

But; this is a 64bit laptop; so though you may loose these minor functions you still gain the advantage of a 64bit envoirment. Plus no more windows :-). So far I've got Gentoo running on it; I used the 2004.1 x86_64 min cd, and the 2.6.6 kernel.

As on all laptops expect to spend a week working on getting things to work.

The biggest problem I'm having is not being able to the synaptics driver running... As soon as x uses the driver x just crashes... I think it's just segfaulting; which could because it doesn't like the 64bit envoirment.

Over all the laptops in the store; I liked mine the most :-). Plus the 2.2Ghz AMD beats all Intel's HT's.

good luck :-)

PS: I use these sites to get my laptop running:
http://cmb.phys.cwru.edu/kisner/linux/compaq-r3000/
http://www1.uop.edu/~khughes/presario-r3120us/
kwiqsilver
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

servo,
Are you getting the 1280x800 resolution to work?
That's my main focus right now (then the touchpad, then the pcmcia wifi).
servo888
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwiqsilver wrote:
servo,
Are you getting the 1280x800 resolution to work?
That's my main focus right now (then the touchpad, then the pcmcia wifi).

yea 1280x800 in x. That wasn't a big deal; a lot of how-to's give you a modeline to use. Though with the modeline if you go back to fb everything becomes blurry (possibly because of the refresh rate); so you wont be able to use the console (like alt ctrl f1) if you've loaded up x. Strange problem but no biggy =\
kwiqsilver
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the blurry console even now. But if I can get X to work at 1280x800, I won't need a console. :)
Time to go home and try it.
servo888
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if anybody knows what the blurry console is all about...
servo888
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at this:

Quote:

Monday, 26 April 2004

Recently I noticed that on my laptop's NVidia GeForce 4 448 Go card, almost every distribution that boots into something graphical is very blurry. Knoppix for example uses a framebuffer to support as many graphics cards as possible. However, my NVidia chip does not like the framebuffer drivers very much.

If you try to install Fedora Linux or any other distribution with a graphical installer, you will have a hard time reading the screen. There is no solution really to this problem, since you can't boot a custom kernel when installing Fedora.

However, if you experience this problem also when you have already installed Linux, there is a solution available!

This solution also works when X actually does work, but you can't go back to any text based consoles from X, because they show up entirely black.

In the kernel configuration there are several options concerning the framebuffer. The trick is to disable all those options, except 'VESA Framebuffer' support. With only that option enabled, the blurry screens and blank consoles should be gone. At least, it worked for me.

I wonder if this really works... I'm going to try it as soon as I finish boot strapping.
Vishal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--
kwiqsilver posted :

Also, buy directly from Compaq/HP. I got mine nicely equipped for $400 less than at Circuit City. They shipped it for free, didn't charge sales tax, and included a $100 mail in rebate.
By ordering it directly, I was also able to get a better battery, more memory, etc. And I had it less than two weeks after I placed the order.
--

kwiqsilver, could you let me know Compay/HP's link online ? I am located in NY. Have been unable to get Compaq or HP's online shopping for quite some time. If anyone could point their link to me, I'd be grateful. Also could you let me know the effective cost of the model you purchased ?

Thanks.
kwiqsilver
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HP/Compaq store.
Hmm...I just double checked that link and it loads a blank page, which is strange since it's the same url as in the next tab, and that one works fine.
If it doesn't work for you, just go to http://www.shopping.hp.com and choose Compaq Presario under the notebook tab near the top.
There's an HP Pavillion in the same list that's identical except for the packaging (even costs the same). I'd suggest a trip to your local CC or BB to see which case you like more, then get that one.

I recommend the 12 cell battery: 50% more power for $25 is pretty good. And don't get the built-in broadcom wifi, unless it's a "free" upgrade, since it doesn't work with linux.
Vishal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwiqsilver,

Thanks a lot for giving me that link. That link works perfect ! I am close to making a decision on which configuration I want. Just that I am wondering what is the difference between getting the same config from HP or Compaq. There is difference in cost if I get the config from HP or Compaq.

HP Pavilion zv5000z series customize notebook
- AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3200+ 2.00 GHz
- Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home
- 512MB DDR SDRAM (1x512MB)
- 60 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
- 4X DVD+RW/R & CD-RW Combo Drive
- 54g(TM) Integrated Broadcom 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
- FREE Upgrade from 15" XGA to 15.4" WXGA (1280x800)
- 64MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(TM) 4 440 Go +1394 & 5-in-1
- Microsoft(R) Works/Money
- 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
- hpshopping in-box envelope
$1,648.00

Compaq Presario R3000Z customize notebook
- AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3200+ 2.00 GHz
- Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home
- 512MB DDR SDRAM (1x512MB)
- 60 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
- 4X DVD+RW/R & CD-RW Combo Drive
- FREEUpgradeto54g(TM) Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN !!
- FREE Upgrade from 15" XGA to 15.4" WXGA (1280x800)
- 64MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(TM) 4 440 Go +1394 & 5-in-1
- Microsoft(R) Works/Money
- 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
- hpshopping in-box envelope
$1,479.00

As you see, there is a difference of 169 USD for the same config, HP being the more expensive one. Is it really due to a better build in the HP brand or its just nonsense ? If I really have some advantage in getting it as HP [good case, layout of keys, maybe different motherboard?] I dont mind paying the extra 169 USD. Can anyone let me know ? If I get this sorted out I can place my order ASAP.

Thanks a lot, thanks again kwiqsilver.

Vishal.
kwiqsilver
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that compaq is giving you the wlan card (which won't work under Linux) "free". Or perhaps they want to sell out of the compaqs for some reason (maybe HP is cancelling the line).
The two machines are virtually identical. They're probably even made on the same assembly line.
I checked them out at a local retailer (I preferred the Compaq's layout) and couldn't find any differences, except the casing, touchpad, and keyboard. That included a cursory search through the windows device manager.
When I priced mine, the two were identically priced at my option level.
K.B.
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about time I joined this thread. I just got my CTO R3000Z!

GeForce 4 GO 440
ATHLON 64 3400+
1x 512MB RAM
30 GB 4200 RPM
8x DVD-ROM
802.11 B/G
12 Cell Li-ion
5-in-1 Card Reader
400Mbps Firewire
1280 x 800 TFT
WinXP Home
MS Works & MS Money
-----------------------------
$1199 including shipping!

I uninstalled the K8 driver and it passes Prime 95 at 1.450V 2200MHz.

I will create a 3 GB NTFS partition and see what happens from there!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: