Burning up in Britain
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuppe666
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Burning up in Britain Reply with quote

I know most of you don't care about me in sleepy ruislip. or england in general but recently I posted this little number https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=174654&highlight= of which I recived a few posts and my hard disk decided it would like to be a barbacue and entered some kind of meltdown(curse these attractive sff). I have spent well just too long using knoppix(comes with k3b which is of no value as you cant take the disk out to burn something thank goodness for command line burning). Downloading and used of various disros Xan(somthing 5 second install) suse. before getting debian in enough of a state to burn a gentoo live cd and then I was off). 3 to 4 days and I'm still getting it back into a working state minus, all those lovelies I've been playing with udev, latest kerne(2.6.nextgen)l, graphical login(Its in rc.whatsisname for hevens sake). I am with the limited tools available to me, well none at present going to attempt to extract some data of it at some point but it is not looking good. Although I have got a slower hard disk, a 5400 instead of a 7200 that will stop me being greedy(ok it has got faster DMA (133 not 100) so what do I do with it. I install hddtemp I now can keep track of my frying hard disk to well its 48 C or F well that clears that up. I'll post something more sensible later after I've compiled OpenOffice(how big is that program its not like *wordstar*). Any help on how to deal with this loss would be helpful :twisted:
jkcunningham
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken two runs at that narrative and still come up empty. Is there a question in there?

;-)

Last edited by jkcunningham on Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
tuppe666
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry just dispair. I have a hard drive that got too hot It won't boot anymore, I have replaced this and done a fresh install on it.Nut I have lost a lot of data on my old hard drive It does recognise partitions. I suspect it is dead. I am going to try and retrive some information from it. If I have a question. How do I low level copy (bad sectors and all) from one hard drive to another, and then what. I am not 100% sure what next to do. I have never had a hard drive go wrong in linux before.
jkcunningham
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have my sympathies. I've lost drives before. Are all the partitions hosed, or just one? What happens when you fsck it (from a boot disk, of course). If you can get another drive in and up, or boot off Knoppix and access another machine over the network, you night try rsync'ing the whole thing and see what happens. I've never heard of a low-level copy. Maybe someone else has?
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st keep the case open and disks out before trying to mount the old disk to a new dir and cp

Code:
 mount hdb3 /mnt/temp
cp -R /mnt/tmp /home/user/temp

if no joy put it in the frezer, its meant to sink the heads or some such and be a temp fix

ps for the live of god learn to use whitespace
tuppe666
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my hard drive in the freezer. I hope this isn't a pisstake my girl looked at me like I was from mars. I explained, but she looked at me a little dubiously
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not tryed it myself but search the forums and you'll see it is recomended by many folkes if the drive is on its last legs, any joy yet
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: