Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
upgrade 2.4.22 benh -> 2.6.7 + NPTL.. how?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruben
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: upgrade 2.4.22 benh -> 2.6.7 + NPTL.. how? Reply with quote

Currently i am still using the ppc-sources-benh-2.4.22-r7 kernel (which is no longer in portage), but i would want to upgrade to a 2.6 kernel and while i'm doing that i wanna use NPTL as well. I recently upgraded my gcc and glibc to gcc-3.3.3_pre20040408-r1 and glibc-2.3.3.20040420. However since that upgrade i seem to have some problems compiling certain things. (no stability problems though, and i do use '-fno-strict-aliasing') So i have a couple of questions.

* after a glibc upgrade, is it recommended to re-emerge world, or is there no need to re-emerge packages? (i didn't re-emerge everything, but some packages have been upgraded since the gcc/glibc upgrade)
* do other people notice compile problems with these versions of gcc and glibc?
* i read somewhere that NPTL should be stable on ppc with those versions of gcc and glibc, but is an upgrade going to work (contrary to a whole install from scratch) and is it needed to re-emerge world (will existing packages just not take advantage of NPTL, or will they break)? which steps should i follow to upgrade my system from 2.4 to 2.6 + NPTL ?
* are there still problems with ALSA in 2.6.7 (for iBook G3, 800Mhz), i remember there were some problems with the sound not being very clear, and very silent ? (currently i use OSS+ESD, but there always is a delay between playing a sound and the time you actually hear it, so i plan to use ALSA+dmix, which should work better and more transparently)

Well, i'd like to upgrade to 2.6 + NPTL because of the good things it promises, but on the other hand, everything on my laptop works and is stable; so before i upgrade i wanna be sure everything is gonna work and will be stable, because i guess there's no easy way back after upgrading glibc with NPTL, right ?

Ruben
fb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: upgrade 2.4.22 benh -> 2.6.7 + NPTL.. how? Reply with quote

ruben wrote:
Currently i am still using the ppc-sources-benh-2.4.22-r7 kernel (which is no longer in portage), but i would want to upgrade to a 2.6 kernel and while i'm doing that i wanna use NPTL as well. I recently upgraded my gcc and glibc to gcc-3.3.3_pre20040408-r1 and glibc-2.3.3.20040420. However since that upgrade i seem to have some problems compiling certain things. (no stability problems though, and i do use '-fno-strict-aliasing') So i have a couple of questions.

* after a glibc upgrade, is it recommended to re-emerge world, or is there no need to re-emerge packages? (i didn't re-emerge everything, but some packages have been upgraded since the gcc/glibc upgrade)

I don't know for kernel 2.6 and NPTL I am myself waiting a bit for migrating
especially since there has been problem in 2.6 with the rivafb driver for
nvidia graphic card.
But for the glibc, first it is usually a good idea to recompile
gcc to put gcc and glibc in sync (There has been some problem in the past
compiling kde because the STL++ are part of gcc). You don't have
to recompile everything, I haven't at the moment, but from time to time
you will need to recompile a dependency. Since moving to glibc2.3.3 I
recompiled mozilla-firefox. Firefox depends on libpng and you will get
error message if you haven't compiled libpng with the same glibc,
but gtk doesn't need to be recompiled. I guess
you could say that is a good bet that sooner or later you will have to recompile
various library on your system so that they match with the new glibc.
Shan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: upgrade 2.4.22 benh -> 2.6.7 + NPTL.. how? Reply with quote

I'll start off by saying I have 0 experiance with 2.6 kernels, but I'll try to help where I can.

ruben wrote:

Its not required but it really shouldn't hurt. The only time you might have problems is when you have libs compiled with different versions than the program that requires it.

Quote:
* are there still problems with ALSA in 2.6.7 (for iBook G3, 800Mhz), i remember there were some problems with the sound not being very clear, and very silent ? (currently i use OSS+ESD, but there always is a delay between playing a sound and the time you actually hear it, so i plan to use ALSA+dmix, which should work better and more transparently)

Don't hold me to this, but I *think* the alsa-drivers are built into 2.6 now, so you just have to enable them when you build the kernel. I'm sure a 2.6 install guide can tell you for sure.
ruben
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed about the problem with libpng, i needed to re-emerge libpng for an update of gtk to succeed. The other problem i had, was when trying to recompile an 2.4.22-benh kernel. This failed, but searching a bit in the forums, it seems that the 2.4 kernels would need patches to compile with gcc 3.3. Changes were done to the 2.6 kernel to let it compile with newer gccs, but those changes were not backported to the 2.4 kernels. At least, that's what i conclude from what i found in the forums and on bugs.gentoo.org. So, I guess there isn't necessarily a problem with gcc/glibc, but rather problems with a (hopefully small) number of packages. (I noticed also gprolog refuses to compile.. hmm.. maybe i should emerge the old gcc in a different slot...)

I know it shouldn't hurt to re-emerge things, but i rather don't do it as long as it's not needed.

I know that the ALSA drivers are included in the 2.6 kernel tree and I also know that there were problems with it, so I wonder whether those problems are solved in the mean time.

In any case, before going NPTL, I need to get a 2.6 kernel running. So, I'll first get that up&running.
sumin k'adra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've use 2.6 on my ibook g3 700 since .0 and ALSA has worked fine IF the dmasound driver is loaded and unloaded before loading the ALSA modules, otherwise the sound is very quiet and the mixer doesn't work. I simply added

Code:
/sbin/modprobe dmasound_pmac 2>/dev/null
/sbin/modprobe dmasound_pmac -r 2>/dev/null

to the beginning of load_modules() in init.d/alsasound and it works fine for me. My guess is that there's a more elegant solution.

You may or may not have the same problem though.

-sk
ruben
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumin,

I didn't have the problem you described. I have everything compiled in (not as modules), and the sound works, as does the mixer (alsamixer). Weird that you have that problem since our hardware must be almost perfectly the same.

So, by now, i have a 2.6.7 kernel running with ALSA, dmix, and the builtin OSS emulation. The only drawback is that the OSS emulation does not mix with the ALSA sound, but for now i can live with that. Read this for more information.

Ruben
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: