Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Where is c:\program files\enlightenment.exe? (completed)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frozenJim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Where is c:\program files\enlightenment.exe? (completed) Reply with quote

So. In just over 24 hours I have installed gentoo.
I have emerged enlightenment.

So how do I make it "GO"?

"go-go gadget enLIGHTENMENT!"

What is the trick to making an app run?

I am horrified :oops: to be such a noob.

frozenJim

Last edited by frozenJim on Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
JPMRaptor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using a graphical login manager (xdm...) it should be a session option when logging in.
frozenJim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's the situation...

I log in and there is a text-based system that looks much like DOS.

End of story. Beyond this, I know nothing.

What is an "XDM"? How do I make one go? What is a session option?

"go-go-gadget XDM!!!" (?)

help me.... :cry:
collosi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you installed xfree or xorg already?

if you haven't then you need to do that before you can use enlightenment.
Code:
emerge -av xfree

or
Code:
emerge -av xorg

if your not sure how to do this check out this page
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml
once you got your X configured correctly, then what you want to do is
Code:
emerge -av gdm

or which ever login manager you'd like. If you don't want a login in manager you can edti your
/etc/rc.conf file.
Code:
nano -w /etc/rc.conf

scroll down to the bottom and edit the last line to look like this
Code:
XSESSION="enlightenment"

now you can type in "startx" in your terminal and Enlightenment should pop-up.
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is not the best Linux distro to start with.

Something like mandrake is more suitable. Once you get used to mandrake, you'll get to used to how linux works (we hope :)). then gentoo is a nice step.
simulacrum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that is such a true statement. While Gentoo will require a bit more effort for a new linux user, it will show what linux is really all about and lay a good foundation for understanding down the road. A major beef of mine has been distributions that attempt to dumb down linux to the point that the user doesn't understand what is going in the first place and isn't able to troubleshoot problems they may encounter.

That being said, hopefully frozenJim is able to get things going. As collosi pointed out, the Gentoo documentation is really top notch, if you follow along you should be able to get things off the ground. If you have any problems along the way, you know where to ask! Good luck.
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simulacrum wrote:
I'm not sure that is such a true statement. While Gentoo will require a bit more effort for a new linux user, it will show what linux is really all about and lay a good foundation for understanding down the road. A major beef of mine has been distributions that attempt to dumb down linux to the point that the user doesn't understand what is going in the first place and isn't able to troubleshoot problems they may encounter.

That being said, hopefully frozenJim is able to get things going. As collosi pointed out, the Gentoo documentation is really top notch, if you follow along you should be able to get things off the ground. If you have any problems along the way, you know where to ask! Good luck.

Even though i agree to what you said, sometimes gentoo can scare people off :D
Its too much stress for a beginner.
Anyway, is frozenJim has just finished uni/school and has some free time. Then go ahead, experiment with gentoo :)
Johto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Where is c:\program files\enlightenment.exe? Reply with quote

frozenJim wrote:
So. In just over 24 hours I have installed gentoo.
I have emerged enlightenment.

So how do I make it "GO"?

"go-go gadget enLIGHTENMENT!"

What is the trick to making an app run?

I am horrified :oops: to be such a noob.

frozenJim

I would highly recommend that you get your self a nice stack of unix/linux books. You need / should learn the basic workings of unix.

I imagine you undestand DOS, so its actually much the same, but you need to understand the basics of "unix".

Learn the layout, basic commands, file permissions stuff == basics of using the shell. Default shell is the bash in linux. Shell is same thing as in DOS, the command prompt.

I remember my first time using linux way back in '97. I was kinda lost because i didnt know any commands to navigate or run programs, or even read the ASCII help files i found using "cd and ls" commands :)

You should go to http://www.tldp.org/ and read some basic guides. Of course there are some differences between distributions but it doesnt hurt because the basics of shell usage is almost same.

This is nice reading to get the overview:
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/gs/gs.html
frozenJim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Gui is installed. startX says no DISPLAY was chosen, but I assume that somewhere along the way I'll find a config file to tweak. Any ideas?

-------------------------------------
Regarding WHY a noob chooses to use Gentoo; my son, who knows me pretty well, insisted that it was the only distro that I would not get frustrated with. So far he's correct.

I chose Gentoo knowing that it was a hands-on distro. The only Unix I've ever used is HP-UX, and that only very briefly. But I've been a power-user since CPM-70, Dos 3, dual-floppy power-machines and RBBS-PC Maple 14 (anybody remember?). Give me a month or two and I'll be a power user of Gentoo too :twisted: .

What I'm missing here are the basics, obviously. I think that the link to the Linux Documentation Project is just what I was after.

The reason I had no GUI installed is because there was no chapter on installing a GUI in the installation guide. Following the guide leads you to a 100% text-based OS install with no apps.

Once I'm a bit better at this, I'll start a thread or site for "power-noobs" or "window-noobs".
Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, the fact that u actually got gentoo installed itself prooves that u're no NOOB ! a noob would have gotten scared even at the thought of Linux if not then after seeing the installation manual of Gentoo :twisted: ,.

But as u've made it so far,. i Bet it shouldnt take u long o master the basics and make gentoo work for you, just as it works for all of us.

Umm, after getting the gui workin, i would reccommend u read the other guides at the gentoo Docs, like the network guide, Udev guide, Gui guide, Kernel Guide etc etc.. so u know exactly where you're heading..

After this u get a clear understanding of what's best suited to your architecture,. Yep gentoo is quite specific to single users, what works for one Might not work for the other..

So u gotta go with things that work exactly for you, and your architecture (of the PC i mean)..

Umm, later once u've figured out how things are done the Gentoo way,. read the posts in the Documents and Tips section on the forums, those are excellent unofficial guides to get things done in Linux and Gentoo..

So, Best of luck and we hope u have a pleasure Ride :wink:
If u got any probs, make sure u ask them here , people are more than glad to help :D

Bye,
Jazz
In 2010, M$ Windows will be a quantum processing emulation layer for a 128-bit mod of a 64-bit hack of a 32-bit patch to a 16-bit GUI for an 8-bit operating system written for a 4-bit processor from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
frozenJim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx Jazz. I'm having fun already :D
Johto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frozenJim wrote:
Thanks all. Gui is installed. startX says no DISPLAY was chosen, but I assume that somewhere along the way I'll find a config file to tweak. Any ideas?

You need to configure your base config for X.
Have you read this:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml

Anyhow, there are many other documents for Gentoo too:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml#doc_chap5

Basicly you run "xf86config" command as root. You need to set your settings for monitor, display card, mouse etc...

Consult the "Desktop Guide" for details. I'm sure your going to surf the web in no time :)

Btw, using Nvidia card is usually the easiest way to get it working and it is has generally best support for hardware accelrations and such.
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
feardapenguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frozenJim wrote:
But I've been a power-user since CPM-70, Dos 3, dual-floppy power-machines and RBBS-PC Maple 14 (anybody remember?).

I'm afraid I do remember. Anyone who has been around since CPM-70 has my respect. You shouldn't have any problem getting off the ground with Gentoo. Don't worry about Mandrake or other distros.
frozenJim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK all.

I am now the proud user of a LINUX BOX! I have my NVidia working just great, Triple-booting 2.4.25, 2.5.6 (under construction) and Windows XP.

Grub is a god-send! Microsoft should be sooo jealous about Grub and liveCD! Man, how many lost Windows PC's could have been saved with liveCD and Grub (Microsoft versions I mean)?

I am really getting into my Enlightenment. It's just what I've always wanted. NOTHING is on the screen!

And who knew that Firefox and Opera were so good? They SUCKED in Windows!

Screwed up your kernel? Who CARES!!!! liveCD and rebuild it!

But what I like best is that there is NO BLOAT! I don't install an app and wonder if it will ruin my entire system. Everything is so well contained and controlled. I am confident in my system for the first time in my LIFE.

Linux, and Gentoo with a hand-rolled kernel in particular, is a geeks wettest of wet dreams!

So you can see how excited I am. Thx all for the help.

Oh, and for the ANSWER to my original question:

First you need to install XFree (or something to make the gui go) which was NOT in the handbook.
Then Enlightenment works fine but you STILL can't run your apps because you have to REFRESH YOUR MENU'S in Enlightenment in order to see your new apps.

A very happy camper indeed,

frozenJim :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: