Having a few problems :-(
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willingtolearn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Having a few problems :-( Reply with quote

Not impressed so far with Gentoo but that's my own fault for being such a newbie :P. I decided to start from Stage One looking for a bit of a challenge at first boot it wouldn't detect my network card in the Gentoo kernel took me awhile to figure out how to fix that - just booted up in the smp kernel. My next problem was during bootstrapping I had a few troubles with some packages failing so I decided to start from scratch again making sure I followed all of the steps exactly from the x86 handbook then this time I ran into the same problem when bootstrapping but with different packages "sys-devel/M1-1.4-rl Failed" then I tried once again and I got the same error but this time concerning binutils. I am growing weary after up to five bootstraps :roll: any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I have searched the forums and tried most of the recommended fixes.
jkcunningham
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the best way to start out with Gentoo is to install stage 3 so you get it up and running and familiarize yourself with its ins and outs. You lose nothing by it, because you will inevitably build everything from scratch over time, and by that time you will know how to troubleshoot most of the stuff you're running into.

But whatever you do, when you have a problem, it usually helps to post the tail of the compile - from a little before you got an error to beyond. It also helps to specify your USE flags, and the exact step you were trying that failed. Posting the output of 'emerge info' is also useful.
willingtolearn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll do as suggested and continue with a Stage 3 install then work my way back to Stage 1 eventually.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: