STAGE 3 P4 CORRUPTION
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: STAGE 3 P4 CORRUPTION Reply with quote

Ok first off i'm a n00b. with that said I cannot install the "stage3-pentium4-2004.1.tar.bz2" I recieve:

"
bzip2: Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
perhaps it is corrupted? *Possible* reasoon follows.
bzip2: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test the integrity of such files.

You can use the 'bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
"

After reading through other posts YES I was in the gentoo directory, and yes I was using "tar -xvjpf stage?-*.tar.bz2" and im using the install-x86-universal-2004.1.iso cd, so i tried downloading only the stage3 from the internet (firefox) and burning it on a cd (can't get eth0 working in the gentoo kernel..i think it may work in smp but i'll get into that another day) the only thing is i cant switch cd's cause then it cant find any commands on the cd. I tried copying all the folders from the universal cd and recieved a few errors here and there about files... the only stage i recieved an error about is the one i wanna use (stage3-pentium4-2004.1.tar.bz2)... so im guessing it is corrupted.

so my questions are:

1. Should I just go with stage 2 (what would i have to configure)?

2. When downloading the "install-x86-universal-2004.1.iso" should i use a FTP client rather than firefox, and if yes which? Also is nero ok for burning?

3. what files/directorys would i have to copy to a cd along with a NON-coorupt download of stage3 if i just wanna copy it to /mnt/gentoo and work from there?

4. What iso program would you reccomend for editing the universal cd and putting in the good P4 Stage3?

5. LAST RESORT --> Go back to windows :cry: , I really wanted to get gentoo up and running this is my first linux expierience but maybe i'm not ready for it..i read up alot and i'm willing to work long nights on it to learn, but windows might be better for some people.
codedmart
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I would say you should go with a stage 2 the doc are greatly written and easy to follow, as far as getting networking to work with the 2004.1 it is know that you will need to modprobe for the module for your network card.

2. & 3. I would just use the universal CD you have.

4. Don't know

5. If this is your first experiance you either need to start with something a little easier for experiance or have the time and patience to learn and stick with it. I installed gentoo at least 10 different times before I got a system working. Gentoo is IMO the best linux has to offer and these forums are full of so much info and the people are great and willing to help.

Sitck with it and you will be happy.
Rice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOO!!! all I had to do was download and burn a new cd on a newer computer :D !! everything else is going through ok now with the setup.. but im still a bit confused about the /etc/fstab but since these forums are so helpful it will be no problem!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: