Compiling for i586 on i686
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Compiling for i586 on i686 Reply with quote

I need to compile some stuff for my Pentium 120 MMX on my Pentium III 750. I tried this before but it came back with "illegal instruction". I then compiled the same thing on the machine itself and it ran fine. I believe this is because gcc on the faster machine is using i686-pc-linux-gnu and not i586-pc-linux-gnu. I think it's possible to have and use both (in the same way that it's possible to cross compile for Windows) but how can I do this safely? Do you think temporarily changing my CHOST in Portage to i586-pc-linux-gnu and emerge gcc would do it? Problem is that all the stuff in i686-pc-linux-gnu would be deleted at the end of the merge. Any ideas?
Banjer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your goal is to reduce the compile-time and your machines are networked together you could take a look at distributed compiling. I use it to compile stuff for my P3 notebook. Two P4 desktops help, and they reduce the time it takes to compile.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/distcc.xml
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah I know all about distcc. I have gcc on the host machine but I'm kinda shifting between distributions and kernels and stuff. A long story. But I'm afraid I might find myself without gcc on the host machine and need to compile something in order to get any further. It's a weird beast. No floppy drive. No CD-ROM drive. No USB ports. PCMCIA network card. Heh.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: