First time gentoo user...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petterah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: First time gentoo user... Reply with quote

Hi, i'm a new gentoo linux user, and there are a couple issues i can't figure out...

First, the discussion on "emerge -u system" vs. "emerge -uD world". When i try to run one of the two above, my output (-av) looks the same, just missing a few packages.. What's the main difference on these commands?

Second, when installing from the LiveCD 2004.1, stage3 (i686), my old laptop would probably burn up if I run emerge -uD world :) There are alot of updates from the 2004.1 release to this date.. e.g. glibc and gcc... is it safe to update these? would it break other programs?

These quick updates are quite new to me, as I have used Debian and Red Hat.

All this is probably PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair) but i can't find any good answers to my questions...? If i want to install 2004.1 release from the live CD's BUT keep up to date, as in serious bug-fix' and security errata... is it emerge -u system then? or world? Would the major updates in glibc and gcc break stuff?

-petterah-
jkt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a) read the handbook.
b) `emerge -u world` vs. `emerge -uD world` - "-D" option means "deep scan" - it will check also "dependencies of dependencies" of your favourite packages - I suggest you to read thru the portage documentation.
c) you can upgrade whatever if you want...
d) security-only updates: `emerge gentoolkit && glsa-check -t all`, but it's not intended for production systems-> read the docs ;-)
petterah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks :D

I'll read the portage docs and alot of other docs too, but it will take som time :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: