Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installing Windows on a partition whithout killing my MBR...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coume
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Installing Windows on a partition whithout killing my MBR... Reply with quote

Hello,

Ok, don't blame me, but I really have to installl windows on a spare partition to test my tuner card... That's the only way for me to know if it's dead or not...

But I heard that installing windows when you have linux installed is a pain and it could damage my grub. Any idea or info on the steps to follow to install this great "windows" lol

Ludo
P.S.: I cant believe that I have to reinstall windows on a computer... 2 years without windows and has to install it for testing a card out :( :(
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just take it to a friends place who uses windows and stick it in their system? Would be a lot easier.
Coume
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakin wrote:
Why not just take it to a friends place who uses windows and stick it in their system? Would be a lot easier.

Cos' I'm in workplacement around 800km from where I usually live, and as I arrived not long ago, I know nobody here :( Or I do know so people, but they all have laptops :/

Ludo
nein
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use lilo so i am not sure of this but you can probably boot with the gentoo boot cd and reinstall grub by mounting the partition where the grub config file is and telling grub to use that config file.

You can also save and restore your MBR manually but:

BE CAREFULL IF I MADE TYPO OR IF YOU MAKE ONE YOU CAN WIPE YOUR HARDDISK:

You can save your MBR (including the partition table) with this command (it saves to a file the first 512 bytes of the hda disk)
Code:

dd if=/dev/hda of=./myMBR count=512 bs=1

Save the myMBR file to a floppy disk or CD, and after installing windows you can boot with a boot floppy or CD and restore it (it writes the 512 bytes you saved to the disk):

Code:

dd  if=./myMBR of=/dev/hda count=512 bs=1

Once you booted linux again, configure grub to take windows into account and you are done
polle
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always decide to instal grub again afterwards.
I used before Boot Magic to dualboot linux and windows. (grub was installed in the bootpartiton of linux)
One day I decided to get rid of boot magic, simply booted from the instalation cd installed grub in the mbr and adjusted the grub.conf
everything worked fine
Captain Sumo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed Windows 98 to my Gentoo machine a couple of weeks ago, so I can tell you my experience with Win9x, as far as it goes. From what I could tell, every Win9x version thinks it has a god-given right to do what it wants to your MBR, no questions asked. There's not a lot you can do to preserve it as it is.

As long as you don't trash your Gentoo partition(s), have kept your kernels in a safe place, and you have a way of booting back into Gentoo (live cd, boot floppies etc), you can always get back come back there later and re-install your chosen boot manager. I was using LILO, but I can't see why Grub would be any different in this respect.

One more thing. I do hope that the partition you want to put windows in is on your first hard disk. Whatever happens, Windows wants an active DOS partition on the first hard disk to write to during the installation, and abandons the setup if if can't find one. If your free partition is on another disk, then you are going to have to make space on two disks to do this.

I haven't tried this with NT/2000/XP, but I guess these OS's also think they own the MBR.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: