boot to a console
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrepti
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: boot to a console Reply with quote

I might be running a part-time eAthena server, and I would like to have as little running on my machine as possible when the server is running, meaning booting into a bare console without X.

In other distros, I could edit /etc/inittab and switch between pre-configured runlevels (3 would be console, 5 would be KDE) but the guides for Gentoo dump everything in to runlevel 3.

So what I need to know is, how can I create a runlevel that will just start me up in a console, with not much else?

Either that, or an easy way to terminate X and all KDE apps without destroying anything.
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by default gentoo doesnt start x on boot.. If your trying to turn it off try turning off the rc script for kdm or xdm..
gnuageux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still edit /etc/inittab to change the default runlevel from 5 to 3. As far as start up services are concerned take a look at the symlinks in /etc/runlevels/default. (much like chkconfig --list on other distros) If you want to disable a service at startup you can remove the link to the init script from this dir by using the following command:

rc-update del sendmail (whatever service) default

Hope this helps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: