View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwantm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: KDE and multiple users Reply with quote

Iam a newbie to linux and ive just installed gentoo and Ive got my kde up and running under my root account.

Now I do not wish to work under my root account, but my kde does not work under my kwantm account.

How can I get kde to work under a different user than the user under which I installed the kde (in this case root).

Regards Marc
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you be a little bit more verbose? :wink:

What does not working under your user account mean? How do you start kde? Are you using a login manager? Are you using startx? If the later is the case, did you put startkde in your .xinitrc?

Also, did you take a look at the gentoo desktop guide?
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you followed the install guide? If you go step-by-step and create a user and setup KDE as described, you shouldn't have any problems logging in with your user account.
kwantm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now a bit more verbose :) ive emerged kde, then ive run the config to configure my kde. But ive done all this under the root account. Furthermore I do not boot with a graphical logon.

The kde works fine under root, but when I use my alternate account then I get errors of missing configs etc..

Should I run the config again, but then under the account I want to use kde with??

Regards Marc
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What config did you run? If you mean you configured your xserver as root, that is the right way to do it and you don't need to configure it again.

So how do you start kde?

If you want to start it from the command line, just create a file called .xinitrc in your home directory (nano -w .xinitrc) and put startkde in it. That's all. Now you just have to type startx to start kde.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: