Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Get help on partitioning here [Part 1]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Brentnall
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: is this partition scheme OK? Reply with quote

nikoladsp wrote:
Hi,
i encountered some problems during gentoo install routine,and i suspect that my partition scheme maybe is wrong...anyway,before i continue in my attempts to install gentoo,is this scheme is OK:

/dev/hda:
/boot 128 MB
swap 1024 MB
/var 4 GB
/ 2GB

/dev/hdb:
/usr 3.5GB
/usr/portage 3.5 GB

I have had similar problems as Nikoladsp, but with the "standard" partitioning scheme recommended in the Gentoo Handbook. I thought I'd stick to a basic configuration, as I'm new to Linux, and thought I'd be brave and dive in with Gentoo, having installed Mandrake 9.1 previously and felt that it was little more than running an installer, which didn't teach me much about Linux! Now I'm attempting to install Gentoo, I feel that I can learn much more, as I've encountered a problem during the installation, and I'm a firm believer that you only learn from your mistakes!

I have done as the Handbook suggested, which is as follows:

Code:
1.  Downloaded and burned Gentoo Universal LiveCD and Packages CD from The UK Mirror Service (UK/ftp)
2.  Dropped the Universal LiveCD in, and booted from it
3.  At the livecd # prompt, I did as it suggested and changed the root password using the passwd command
4.  I added a user, ed, with the useradd command, and changed the password as follows:

useradd -m -G users ed
      passwd ed

5.  At boot, all my hardware was detected properly and I was able to get out to the 'net, so I carried on after confirming that all was OK by reviewing the results of the following two commands:

/sbin/ifconfig
      ping -c 3 www.google.co.uk

6.  All was fine, and I'm using a DHCP-assigned IP address from my router, which I will fix later, but for now, no problems, so I went on to preparing the disks, and began setting up the partitions with:

fdisk /dev/hda

Making partition 1 a 32M partition
      n
      p
      <Enter>
      +32M

Making partition 1 bootable
      a

Making partition 2 a 512M partition
      n
      p
      <Enter>
      +512M

Making partition 3 take up all the rest of the disk
      n
      p
      <Enter>
      <Enter>

Changing partition 2 to a Linux Swap partition
      t

Writing the partition table to disk
      w

Applying filesystems to the 3 partitions

mkreiserfs /dev/hda1
      mkreiserfs /dev/hda3

Setting and activating the swap partition
      mkswap /dev/hda2
      swapon /dev/hda2

Mounting the partitions

mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
      mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
      mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot

7.  So far, so good, so I check the date with:

date

8.  Next, I go to extract the stage tarball from the LiveCD with:

ls /mnt/cdrom/stages (this gives me a list, and proves that the CD-ROM is mounted)
      cd /mnt/gentoo (which hopefully changes to my gentoo mount point on the hard disk)
      tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/stages/stage3-athlon-xp-2004.3.tar.bz2

And at this point, it begins extracting, gets to about the /usr/consolefonts/ folder and then continually reports "No space left on device" errors for the remainder of the files, and then times out, dropping me back at the # prompt.

So, for some reason, even though I'm changing directory into the Gentoo mount point (cd /mnt/gentoo), when extracting the tarball, it appears to be going into memory and filling up.  I don't seem to be able to chroot, because I don't appear to be able to do that until I've got a stage tarball extracted into the Gentoo mount point, hence the Catch 22 situation.

Can anyone point out where I'm going wrong in this process, as I'm sure it's something very simple that I've missed, but I don't have the experience to work out what that might be!

In case they're relevant, my PC specifications are as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (TwinMOS)
ASUS A7N266-VM Micro-ATX motherboard (onboard GeForce 2 MX graphics, 10/100 network and audio)
Seagate 7200.7 200GB 7200rpm ATA-100 IDE Hard Disk (Primary Master)
ASUS CD-ReWriter (Secondary Master)

I look forward to hearing from you all.
Ed Brentnall
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so here's a weird thing. I thought I'd try again while waiting for replies, and guess what? It only went and worked, didn't it! I did exactly the same thing as I did before, after deleting the existing partitions first, and this time, it worked. Bizarre. I'm now going to get on with the Portage installation, and if there are further problems, I'll be back!

:lol:
rush_ad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the swap/boor/root partition need to be primary? i already have two ntfs on the hard drive and planning to install gentoo on the same drive. what should be my partitioning
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rush_ad wrote:
does the swap/boor/root partition need to be primary? i already have two ntfs on the hard drive and planning to install gentoo on the same drive. what should be my partitioning

No, the drives can be logical. The boot partition needs to be marked "bootable" though. And the Windows partition should be the very first drive. You can make it work otherwise but it's so much easier to let windows be first. Here is the wiki page with a HOWTO.
rush_ad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, got it running.
Xenon2050
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've read over the forums a bit more and took the advice of some people and came up with this sceme for partitioning...

Code:
hda1 /boot 64MB
hda2 /swap 1024MB
hda3 / 512MB
hda4 /tmp 3GB
hda5 /var 5GB
hda6 /home 25GB
hda7 /usr 25GB
hda8 /www 10GB

What do you guys think? Its an 80GB drive... Should I have more or less in any place? I plan on using it to host the internet but also to play the ocational game, listen to music, edit documents, make web pages etc...
Any more tips or thoughts before i take the dive? Thanks
Xenon2050
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I said in a previous post that i have two 80 GB drive and I wish to dual boot one for XP one for Gentoo... My XP partition is the NTFS and I want to be able to access it when using linux (cuz that's where all my music and documents are) so can linux read the NTFS or should i make a seperate fat32 partition?
rush_ad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linux will read your ntfs partition. just enable the ntfs option in the kernel. it also has write support but i would not enable that as its not to well supported.
once you enable the ntfs support in kernel, make changes in fstab and you should be able to read ntfs.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rush_ad wrote:
linux will read your ntfs partition. just enable the ntfs option in the kernel. it also has write support but i would not enable that as its not to well supported.
once you enable the ntfs support in kernel, make changes in fstab and you should be able to read ntfs.

The ntfs kernel driver can write as well as read. I have used it several times. However, it's not 100% like the fat driver is. I would take rush_ad's advice and create a fat32 partition for files you want to share between win and nix.
rush_ad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, creating fat32 seems like the best idea as of now. also, there is captive that can write ntfs pretty well. i have never tried it but many people have good things to say about it. try out captive.
GoodVibrations
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the following disclayout (hda1 is Windows):
(My fdisk "talks" Danish)

Disk /dev/hdc: 120.0 Gb, 120034123776 byte
255 hoveder, 63 sektorer/spor, 14593 cylindre
Enheder = cylindre af 16065 * 512 = 8225280 byte

Enhed Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdc1 * 1 3039 24410736 83 Linux (/)
/dev/hdc2 3040 7294 34178287 5 Udvidet
/dev/hdc5 3040 3161 979902 82 Linux swap
/dev/hdc6 3162 7294 33198291 83 Linux (/home)

I have Debian installed on the above partitions.

I'm quite new to Linux and thought I would try a Gentoo installation. Thinking that It might teach me a lesson or two about Linux :-)

But I'm not quite ready to wipe my Debian (its' working :-))

So I thought I'd create an extended partition (hdc3).
With:
hdc7 boot
hdc8 root
and either use hdc5 as swap or create hdc9 as swap.

Ie the three partitions used as an example in the Handbook.

But when I say "new" in fdisk, I'm only getting the choice of primary or logical. No extended ?
If i create a primary, I'm not allowed to change it to type 5 (extended) afterward.
If I try to just create a logical partition I get a message saying something like "no available free sectors".

What to do ?
TIA
rush_ad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logical and extended are the same things as far as i know. well, knowing that i setup my gentoo.
GoodVibrations
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.

I thought that extended partitions were primary partitions, which held logical partitions?

But still... as mentioned, I'm not allowed to create any more logical partitions either.
rush_ad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try it with logical, should work. worked for me
GoodVibrations
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Googling around I think I've found the answer.
You're only allowed *one* extended partition.
So I need to add the free 60GB to the end of hdc2.
Then I should be able to create som more logical partitions.

I'll try that with DiskDrake.

Btw I took a look at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_boot:

" Partitions Recommendations
/dev/hda1 Primary - WindowsXP - 3GB minimum
/dev/hda2 Primary - /boot - 32MB
/dev/hda3 Primary - swap - 2x ram
/dev/hda4 Logical - / - 2.5GB minimum
/dev/hdax Logical - Any other drive you wish to have "

How can hda4 be a logical partition?
Isn't 1-4 reserved for prim./ext. partitions?

Shouldn't that read:
/dev/hda4 Extended
/dev/hda5 Logical - / - 2.5GB minimum
/dev/hdax Logical - Any other drive you wish to have "

?
rush_ad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i think now its going beyond my knowledge. wait till someone else shows some interest.
GoodVibrations
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it worked.
I resized my extended partition (hdc2) to use all of the free space on the disk (60 GB) and then I was able to create the logical partitions I wanted.

I used qtparted though. I couldn't find out how to see my extended partition in diskdrake.

So on with the show, and in with Gentoo. :D
rush_ad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good, have fun with gentoo
Feu_Argent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't catch this question anyywhere else in the forums... I may be daft, but I have a very simple question.

Is it requried to have a partition to install Gentoo, and if so, does creating a partition erase the second partition? (in other words making one partition creates two empty partitions total...). And if not, how do I make a partition? I have a partitioning program through my DOS prompt, but I forget the name of it, and I don't remember if the Gentoo install process has automatic paritioning programs in it. Please help!
airjunman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: installing linux with just one primary partition free.... Reply with quote

hey,
another newbie here ... amtrying to install gentoo on a 60GB HDD with Win XP already installed on it . this is a Sony VAIO laptop and had the partitions set as C: and D:... i freed up some space after the D drive and made a Linux partition using Partition Magic 8.0 ... now when i booted using the LiveCD and got to the part of fdisk(as per the installation handbook) and listed the partitions it showed the following:

(name,cylinders,type)
hda1 1-654 Compaq diagnostics(i assume thats somethin Sony put on the laptop to be used during a recovery, it doesnt show up when listing the hard drive space in XP)
hda2 655-2478 HPFS/NTFS
hda3 2479-5987 W95 exte'd (LBA)
hda4 5988-7296 Linux
hda5 2479-5987 HPFS/NTFS

now how do i install boot, swap and root partitions on this since there is place for just one linux partition according to this .... do i have to delete or merge a Windows partition in order to make space for the Linux partitions?

'JUNman
P.S:to get away from the problem, why do I have an extended partition for Windows when there is just one logical partition? couldn't it have kept hda3 as a primary partition of type HPFS/NTFS instead? Is that to keep the option open of adding more logical drives later on?
manpage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: wierd partition question Reply with quote

hello gentoo folks

i am planning of installing gentoo on my machine but i wanted something that the "HANDBOOK" doesn't say so... i hope you would take this as a curious question about gentoo

if let's say i have a 4gb hd and i want to partition

/ 100mb <--- root partition
swap
/boot 25mb <--- boot partition
/tmp 128mb
/home 500
/usr 2024
/var 500mb <------ ????

i know it may sound wierd because the gentoo handbook says you need 1.5gb but what if i just want a running gentoo kernel? to boot linux and put the shell can i spare the 1.5gb and make it smaller?

my question rather is ....

how small can the /var partition IF ( /var has it's own partition) be, to have a running/booting gentoo linux ?

any answers would be greatly appreciated

thanks,
manpage
Mårten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I'm new to this forum, and to Linux. Recently i heard about Gentoo from a friend. He said it was a good variant of Linux. What I've figured out is that it's pretty much a hardcore system and not for noobs, or am i wrong?
I have never succeded in installi a full linux system. Well, i tried to install Debian but i couldn't get the graphic part to work. Well, i have now decided to download or buy Gentoo.
I have worked with both Window and Mac OS. My first problem is how to partition my harddrive.
I have one 80 Gig seagate which i will use for both Windows and linux. But what i don't understand is which boot(program, like windows start diskette) to use. And how do i get the labels "/home", "/boot" and "/user". Mb this is too much toi ask for. But i would like a guide, probably there is already one out (i haven't fpound it) how to partition a system.
Well, that's all for now.
I hope that u don't find me too much of a noob. I know alot about Windows (which i hate) but now i want a better OS that i can REALLy work with.
So long for now.

Thanks in advance
Mårten
manpage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in order to make the gentoo install happen you need to read the gentoo handbook

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml

it basically explains each step though they often say that it's not for noobs... hey it's linux if anyone else can try it
so can you :wink: just follow the steps and choose your own gentoo stage... there might be some other issue why you weren't able to install linux using some other distribution (HARDWARE FAMILIARITY, ETC.) just read the docs carefully and you should be able to make it happen :D

cheers!
brassj41
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: wierd partition question Reply with quote

manpage wrote:
hello gentoo folks

i am planning of installing gentoo on my machine but i wanted something that the "HANDBOOK" doesn't say so... i hope you would take this as a curious question about gentoo

if let's say i have a 4gb hd and i want to partition

/ 100mb <--- root partition
swap
/boot 25mb <--- boot partition
/tmp 128mb
/home 500
/usr 2024
/var 500mb <------ ????

i know it may sound wierd because the gentoo handbook says you need 1.5gb but what if i just want a running gentoo kernel? to boot linux and put the shell can i spare the 1.5gb and make it smaller?

my question rather is ....

how small can the /var partition IF ( /var has it's own partition) be, to have a running/booting gentoo linux ?

any answers would be greatly appreciated

thanks,
manpage

Unless you are doing a server and you are very concerned about security, or you specifically need separate partitions, I would recommend because of the tight space:
/boot 25mb
/swap ??
/home 2024
/ {whatever is left}

/var, /tmp, /usr will all be on the same partition as /. You may want to consider making home smaller as well. If all want is a shell, then 4 gig will be plenty adequate.

PS: If you plan on installing apache, and using it for a web server, then you may want to consider a /var/www/ht-docs partition that is (~100mb, depending on website size)
manpage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: wierd partition question Reply with quote

Quote:

Unless you are doing a server and you are very concerned about security, or you specifically need separate partitions, I would recommend because of the tight space:
/boot 25mb
/swap ??
/home 2024
/ {whatever is left}

/var, /tmp, /usr will all be on the same partition as /. You may want to consider making home smaller as well. If all want is a shell, then 4 gig will be plenty adequate.

PS: If you plan on installing apache, and using it for a web server, then you may want to consider a /var/www/ht-docs partition that is (~100mb, depending on website size)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not building a server environment I'm planning of putting a gentoo linux on my IBM Thinkpad 750C it has very limited space so i don't want to set the /var to have like 2gb or a gig .. i want it to have something smaller like for a OPENBSD Installation

for a Typical File System Layout

for x86

/ <--- 40mb
/usr <--- 250mb
/var <--- 25mb
/usr/X11R6 <--- 100mb

you can also do this on slackware

/ <--- 100mb
/boot <--- 50mb
/home <--- 500mb
/usr <--- 2024
/var <--- 100mb

can this be done on gentoo?

thanks for the reply
manpage
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: