Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Get help on partitioning here [Part 1]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetoo wrote:
...Actually, i've got 2 windows partitions (one with the OS and one with data), i also have one last free partition.
so i'm sure i can install gentoo on the free partition right?
how can i make the free partition (about 4gb) to be available for gentoo?

Can you use a LiveCD to produce an 'fdisk' table, & post it for our collective perusal? The earlier one didn't list the disk-size & 'cylinders; heads; sectors' information, & i'm confused about this 'free' partition, because it didn't appear to be shown, at all...
darkfolk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your partitions are properly mounted, since that could cause you to run out of of space, due to you being in a virtual filesystem.[/list]
Frerk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Partition Magic 8 NO, SystemRescueCD GO! Reply with quote

Partition Magic 8 just screwed my 5 logical partitions with a running Gentoo Linux installed. It said the partition table had an error #141 and if it want it to be fixed. I clicked OK with mixed feelings but otherwise I would have had no access to the menus of PM.

All seemed well, I repartitioned and rebooted. Effect:

Win98 did boot normal, Gentoo didn't. And a new boot with PM
said error # 180 , but this time no fix was offered!

After studing Partitioning for 2 days I solved it with the help of the Gentoo Live CD based SystemRescueCD and the Ranish Disk Partition Tool (for Dos) which is freeware and included as a boot option.

Partition Magic seemed to have 'corrected' all of my logical partitions to begin at some strange boundaries some 63 sector after the real beginning and leaving some 0,4MB - 0,6 MB unused space between them.

I changed the beginnings until there was no more unused space between them and voila it worked again!

After going through partition hell I have 2 whishes:

1) qtparted should be capable of converting the first logical partition into a primary partition (the reason I used PM). Or did I miss something?

2) a partition table editor as good as Ranish as a Linux Version. Or simpler a harddisk-viewer-editor with hex display of sectors and an option to interpret it as a partition table. Does such a beast exist?

Frerk
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would i go about installing windows on the 3rd hard drive in my system, i know there is a way in grub to fool windows into thinking its the 1st hard drive..?
dr chalcopyrite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noob question:

I have Mandrake 9.2 on hda, would like to put Gentoo on hdb. How should I partition hdb? When I try to run the harddrake from within Mandrake, it doesn't like my making a / directory. Should I follow the Gentoo install handbook and make the directory structure as shown then add hdb to to either grub or lilo?

I have plenty of room on hda for /home to strore files.

thanks
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
how would i go about installing windows on the 3rd hard drive in my system, i know there is a way in grub to fool windows into thinking its the 1st hard drive..?

There is a HOWTO here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=18319

It shows how to put windows on hdb. you can easily adapt this to use hdc I believe. If you need help respond in that thread, I'm subscribed, and I'll help you out.
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr chalcopyrite wrote:
Noob question:

I have Mandrake 9.2 on hda, would like to put Gentoo on hdb. How should I partition hdb? When I try to run the harddrake from within Mandrake, it doesn't like my making a / directory. Should I follow the Gentoo install handbook and make the directory structure as shown then add hdb to to either grub or lilo?

I have plenty of room on hda for /home to strore files.

thanks

taipan67 wrote:
Partitions & directories aren't the same thing.

With every other distro i've played with (& that's practically all of them), the partitioning tool used prompts the user to name each partition as they go along. The first big lesson i learned with Gentoo is that the partition table has nothing to do with what's stored on it, until those partitions are mounted into the directory tree. As far as Linux is concerned, each partition is just a device-file, & what's stored on them is governed by the '/etc/fstab' file, & the 'mount' command.

The above quote is from my post a page back (you can go straight to it by clicking here). It's what makes 'fdisk' such a fantastic tool, once you get past the fear of doing things from the command-line :? .

I've already re-written this post 3 times, trying to be as clear as possible, but without any notable success. Perhaps the best approach would be for you to post your existing partition layout for Mandrake, along with what you'd like for Gentoo. Then i & others will be better able to offer suggestions about partition-schemes, grub-configuration, & the /etc/fstab file... :wink:
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis119 wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

There is a HOWTO here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=18319

It shows how to put windows on hdb. you can easily adapt this to use hdc I believe. If you need help respond in that thread, I'm subscribed, and I'll help you out.

excellent, that was just what i wanted
dr chalcopyrite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps the best approach would be for you to post your existing partition layout for Mandrake, along with what you'd like for Gentoo. Then i & others will be better able to offer suggestions about partition-schemes, grub-configuration, & the /etc/fstab file...

Right now I have 120 G spread out over

hda1 / Journalized FS Linux 6 G
hda5 Linux swap 512 M
hda6 /home Journalized FS 87G
hda7 /home1 Ext2 17 G

I have added hdb to the system although not mounted yet. My hda is the Master and hdb is slave. I need to take it out and check it in a windows box and see if there is another partition, it is a 40 G drive but only showing 10 right now. I can run some Western Digital software and eliminate any partitions to get the entire drive space useable unless there is another solution.

I would like to put the Gentoo on hdb and dual boot. I tried this a week or so ago with a single drive and tried to put Gentoo in hda7, got to the point of untarring and there was an error, I forget the exact error, something about not finding / .

When all is said and done, I am not too particular about where it is loaded, hdb or hda7 but I'd like to get this distro up and runnig to see if I will get rid of my Mandrake.

Thanks
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr chalcopyrite wrote:
I would like to put the Gentoo on hdb and dual boot. I tried this a week or so ago with a single drive and tried to put Gentoo in hda7, got to the point of untarring and there was an error, I forget the exact error, something about not finding / .

The error probably occurred because the full path to hda7 was incorrect. This is my main beef with programs like 'harddrake' - they give you the false impression that they are assigning fixed names to your partitions.

Installing to hdb would probably be best, until you inevitably decide to shit-can Mandrake & re-install Gentoo on your big, main drive. :D

How you go about it depends on how you intend to install Gentoo; are you using a LiveCD, or are you doing a 'network install' from within Mandrake?

(I apologise if i seem to be dragging this out. I started writing a long guide, but realised it was only applicable to one scenario) :roll:
dr chalcopyrite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the iso image so I can load from there.

As for getting rid of Mandrake, I am for it. Some of the stuff crashes and I am sick of having to go in and kill processes all the time. I could start from scratch, backup my data and go from there with a reformated drive and install gentoo.

As for writing a long guide, it would be great. I can figure out things on my own if I have an outline as to where to get started.
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delayed response - there was the small matter of beer & Premier League soccer to take care of 8) .

In my opinion, the least complicated - not to mention most prudent - approach would be to install Gentoo onto your 2nd drive by booting the LiveCD, & for the time being, to pretend that your other drive (the one with Mandrake on it) doesn't exist. Once you've successfully installed everything - including embedding 'grub' into hdb's Master Boot Record - you can put hdb before hda in your BIOS' boot-sequence. This will give you a chance to learn from any mistakes you encounter, while still having the option to revert to an Operating System that's up & running (even if it is Man-break).

I've actually spent part of this weekend trying to plan a 'tutorial' for the forums, tentatively entitled "Installation tips for first-timers", but i'm afraid it's not ready, yet. In the meantime, the first tip to go into it would be TAKE YOUR TIME! My only copy of the LiveCD is 2004.1 vintage, & i'm not sure how things have progressed from there, but when you first boot into it, you should see a 'boot:' prompt, above which is some advice about your boot-options (pressing F1 to list available kernels, stuff like that). Take the time to read everything you can, & if possible, select a 2.6-generation kernel, as opposed to a 2.4. That might require you to boot the 'SMP' kernel, but that's okay - it'll still work.

If your keyboard isn't of an American specification, you'll need to add the 'dokeymap' option to your boot-command, otherwise you'll have loads of fun trying to find your hash (#) key, amongst others.

Once your desired kernel is booted & the correct keymap selected (if necessary), you'll be automatically logged into the LiveCD as the 'root' superuser. The very first thing you should do at that point is change the superuser-password to something of your own choosing. I say this because the next thing to do is to log into more than one 'virtual terminal', & you can't do that unless you know the password. To change the password, simply type 'passwd' (just the six letters, not the quotes) & press enter, then follow the screen-prompts to enter your new password & confirm it.

Now you can log into at least one more terminal. You move around between terminals by holding down the 'Alt' key, & pressing any one of the first six 'Function-keys' (F1, F2, F3 etc.). This allows you to open the Installation Handbook in the 'links' web browser in one terminal, & enter the commands to install your system in another one, so you don't have to keep stopping & starting the browser with the Handbook in it. You could also log into a third terminal & use 'links' again, but this time to access these forums, & use them as referrences during the install.

The other thing that really makes life easier is knowing how to 'copy & paste' with the mouse in a text-mode environment. For your first install, i'd suggest following the Handbook's example with regard to partition layout & so on, & as such, many of the commands will be almost if not exactly identical. So you can avoid the tedium of re-typing everything, as well as the risk of mis-typing something, by highlighting it in the Handbook example by holding down the left mouse-button & dragging the mouse to the end of the desired text, just as you would in a 'windowed' environment. But then, instead of right-clicking & expecting to see a pop-up menu, you simply go to the terminal you want to enter the text in, make sure the cursor is in the right place, & (for 3-button mice) press the middle button (or wheel) to paste the highlighted text in. For 2-button mice, you use the right button.

That should avoid at least some of the most common hiccups you would encounter. I'll probably incur a bollocking for going so far off-topic, so i'll let you get on with it. If you have any installation-related questions that can't be answered by searching the forums, feel free to send me a personal message - i'll try to help as much as i am able :D .
dr chalcopyrite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the Super Bowl here today, I understand about beer and soccer.

I'll work on getting this working. Maybe I'll swap hard drives in the boot sequence or remove hda and keep it on the side in case something takes a tank and I can keep swapping.

I'll get to work on it and follow your suggestions.

thanks,

dc
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr chalcopyrite wrote:
Maybe I'll swap hard drives in the boot sequence or remove hda and keep it on the side in case something takes a tank and I can keep swapping.

I left something out to try to avoid making things sound any more daunting than they already were; If you use my suggestion about altering the boot-sequence in the BIOS, you will still be able to boot into either system by putting an entry for Mandrake in your new 'grub' configuration file. Therefore, i'd leave hda where it is, if it was me.

But that's a ways off in the distance, yet. Good luck, & don't be afraid to ask questions if anything doesn't make enough sense.
dr chalcopyrite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As is my norm, I screwed something up. Everything went fine, but I over wrote my boot record, so I had to do a fix on the other drive. Later this weekend, I'l remove my hda and go from there, reinstall and go on from there.
plut0nium
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to reinstall my laptop (dual boot WinXP & Gentoo), it has a 60Go HDD. After reading this thread, I think i'll use the following partitionning scheme:

/boot >>> ~100Mo
swap >>> 512Mo
C: (Win) >>> 13Go
/ >>> 13Go
/home >>> 4Go
Shared Docs (Fat32) >>> the rest, about 30Go

what do u think about it ?
should i make the system partitions (C: and /) bigger ?
HriBB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

256ram, 20gb disk, apache2, mysql, php, ssh, mail
mainly for learning and testing, will host few low-traffic sites

what do you think?
50M /boot
500M swap
4G /
1G /tmp
3G /var
4G /usr
4G /home
~2giga spare (it's in the docs... should i rather just allocate it)

thanx
oegat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HriBB wrote:
256ram, 20gb disk, apache2, mysql, php, ssh, mail
mainly for learning and testing, will host few low-traffic sites

what do you think?
50M /boot
500M swap
4G /
1G /tmp
3G /var
4G /usr
4G /home
~2giga spare (it's in the docs... should i rather just allocate it)

thanx

With /var, /usr, /tmp and /home on separate partitions, 4G for / are probably overkill. Most stuff will go in those four filesystems, I have a similar layout as yours with 200M / wich is only half full after almost 2 years. If you dont know what to do with those gigs, I would either increase home with it or keep it unpartitioned for future freedom.
ShinFu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi everyone

i have installed gentoo a year ago so... i can remember certain things (back then i installed gentoo on a clean drive)

but i have gotten a new machine and so lost my gentoo partition

my current drive (160gigs) looks like this:

win (games)
win (work)
win (audio)
ntfs (audio data)
ntfs (backup data)

now i want to replace the win (games) partition with a gentoo partition, without repartition the
whole drive (i still need the rest)

how do i proceed??
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShinFu wrote:
hi everyone

i have installed gentoo a year ago so... i can remember certain things (back then i installed gentoo on a clean drive)

but i have gotten a new machine and so lost my gentoo partition

my current drive (160gigs) looks like this:

win (games)
win (work)
win (audio)
ntfs (audio data)
ntfs (backup data)

now i want to replace the win (games) partition with a gentoo partition, without repartition the
whole drive (i still need the rest)

how do i proceed??

Boot from a livecd. cfdisk. Change the "type" of the win(games) partition to linux83, write the partition to disk and then mke2fs -J /dev/hd<whatever partiotion games is>. Now you have an ext3 partition that you can install gentoo on.
ShinFu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis119 wrote:

Boot from a livecd. cfdisk. Change the "type" of the win(games) partition to linux83, write the partition to disk and then mke2fs -J /dev/hd<whatever partiotion games is>. Now you have an ext3 partition that you can install gentoo on.

that easy? thanks!

but now i have a problem to distinguish the win partitions :oops:

cfdisk tells me:
Code:

sda1        Boot     Primary      NTFS     [^B]     20974,47
sda5                 Logical      NTFS     [^B]     20974,47
sda6                 Logical      NTFS     [^B]     20974,47
sda7                 Logical      NTFS     [^D]     41940,71
sda8                 Logical      NTFS     [^F]     55166,96

the desired partition is one of the three 20gig ones

is there a way i can read out the labels windows displays??
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShinFu, sda1 is C: always. Windows always installs itself to C: and C: is always the first logical drive. sda5 should be D: sda6 should be E: and so on. The only thing that would mess this up is if windows is assigning D: to a CDrom drive then sda6 would be E: and so on. If you want to be absolutely sure you can always boot from a liveCD and mount the individual drives and look at what data is on each drive. Knoppix makes this very easy with it's GUI if doing it from a gentooLiveCD is to much for you.
brassj41
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, I have bought a new computer with a new hard drive, which is twice as big as anything I have ever had. As such, I have a few questions about partitioning.

How many partitions can you put on a drive?

Here is my proposed scheme: (120Gig drive)

Code:

1:  ext2      /boot             100meg
2:  fat32     windows       15g
3:  fat32     misc.             5g
4:  swap                          512
5:  ext3       gentoo64       20G
6:  ext3       gentoo32       20G
7:  ext3       /home             40G

partitions that I would like to have:
/var/www so if I redoo, its easier to keep my php's safe
/extra for storage, or remastering knoppix, or anything
portage? to share between OS's?

I also thought about LVM2, I don't have any experience with it.
If I were to go LVM, then what would ya'll recommend on partion chunks?

LVM2 questions:
1: is a logical volume sized by the partition? ie, it spans 2 partions, so it is the size of two partitions. or can it be limited to 1.5 partitions?

2: can you expand a LV that is towards the front of a drive? Will it push the other LVs further down?
ie: LV1 2G -> LV1 3G
LV2 2G LV2 2G
LV3 *

(experience) 3-5 years using Mandrake, 1 year using Gentoo. So I feel pretty confident, except that my old harddrive had 4 different OS's squeezzed into 40 gig. So 120 Gig is a dream come true. actually, the whole new computer(Athlon 64) is a dream come true.

Last edited by brassj41 on Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xenon2050
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone!
I have two 80GB drives. One is completely for my Win XP partition and the other will be completely for my Gentoo partition.

So what I'm wondering if what you guys think would be a good setup. I am going to use the computer for games, music, web browsing and as a web hosting server. Since I plan on using it as a server for the web I want it to be fairly secure. Thus I'm wondering what the best ideas would be and how to implement them. You see i have only installed Gentoo once and i used the default stuff int he user manual, so how would you go about mounting the extra partitions and what order shoudl they be created in.

I was thinking something like this...

hda1 boot 32MB
hda2 swap 1GB (I have 1 GB ram)
hda3 root 5GB?(isn't root also / ?)
hda4 tmp 2GB
hda5 var 5GB (what's the var for again?)
hda6 home 15GB
hda7 usr 15GB
hda8 www 10GB (use as the main hosting spot)

I have a few GB left so what are some good ideas? Thanks for you help.

Oh and what would you recommend for FS for all of these? I was thinking ext2 on boot and ext3 on the rest, but I was also thinking maybe reiserfs...
brassj41
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenon2050 wrote:

hda1 boot 32MB
not bad, though I would be tempted to bump it up to 50MB
Quote:

hda2 swap 1GB (I have 1 GB ram)

not bad
Quote:

hda3 root 5GB?(isn't root also / ?)

This is probably too much. /var, /usr, /opt tend to be where most of your space is taken up. So when you move them out to thier own partitions, you won't need as much for root (and yes / = root). If you look at oegat's posting, he only has a 100MB root.

oegat wrote:

With /var, /usr, /tmp and /home on separate partitions, 4G for / are probably overkill. Most stuff will go in those four filesystems, I have a similar layout as yours with 200M / wich is only half full after almost 2 years. If you dont know what to do with those gigs, I would either increase home with it or keep it unpartitioned for future freedom.

Quote:

hda4 tmp 2GB
hda5 var 5GB (what's the var for again?)
hda6 home 15GB
hda7 usr 15GB
hda8 www 10GB (use as the main hosting spot)

I would put the rest gigs on /home, or leave them unpartitioned for future expansion. I don't have a working system right now, or I would look at how much space /var and /usr take up on my system. Though, later today, my new system should be here, so I get to start building gentoo again. One thing I really like about linux, is if you find you have totally misallocated the space, you can save all your files, reallocate the space, and copy your files back. You might have to edit the fstab file. but its not to hard once you understand the concept.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: