eth0 found, but no connect to lan, light out w/boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:06 am    Post subject: eth0 found, but no connect to lan, light out w/boot Reply with quote

Hello all,
Ok...gave up on the Linksys wireless card install...found a nic card that I have no idea what it it. On booting the boot CD...strangely enough, the light on the card goes out. But, after logging in...I do the net-setup eth0, and it seems to take all my settings.

I'm hooking to DSL via a linksys DSL router/4 port switch. I have it hooked to the nic card. When I turn on the machine, the nic card's light comes on, but, when the boot cd starts, the light goes out.
I do net-setup, and set the static IP of the machine, it takes the settings, but, I cannot then ping any of my machines on my local lan, much less the rest of the world.

Sorry I don't know the card...nothing I see written on it, but, I do know I've used it a about 5 months ago on another machine before I turned it wireless...so, I'm 99.99% sure it is a working card.

Any ideas or things I can look at? I'm a bit of a network newbie...I've looked at all the posts I can read here...but, haven't found anything similar to my problem yet...

TIA

C
8O :roll: 8)
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:30 am    Post subject: Tried again with known card. Found, but, no lights/connect Reply with quote

Hi all,
Just came back from a friend of mine's house...loaned me a D-Link DFE-530 TX Fast Ethernet card...I plugged it in. Lights never came on it, but, the boot CD found it....however, after setting the net-setup, still can't ping any other computers on my lan...nor the net.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

cayenne
fixer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does ifconfig say? And have you tried a different network cable?
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: Yup..ifconfig shows normal...but, still...not connecting... Reply with quote

fixer wrote:
what does ifconfig say? And have you tried a different network cable?

Hello, and thanx for the reply!

I do ifconfig, and is says it is up and running...in fact, gives the same good looking info that my working linux box does ('cept for different static IP address). It looks like it should be working, but, cannot ping any other machine on my network, nor get to the internet.

I'll check it with a diff. cable, but, this cable was being used recently and seemed to work just fine.

One concern is, the lack of lights on the back of the nic card. When I install it into the machine, one light lights up.....and when I turn the machine on...it stays lit...till just after the CD boot process starts (during probing?)...and then, no lights are on. But, I can still configure the card, and it shows normal with ifconfig.........just doesn't seem to want to talk to anyone tho.......

Thanks for the reply....any other suggestions greatly appreciated. I'm really wanting to get Gentoo working, I'm very excited about a completely compiled system.....

cayenne
:D :lol: :D
scsimodo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

The missing light means there's no connection to your DSL-Router. I had a similar problem here, the solution was to use a 10Mbit network card instead of 100MBit. Maybe that's your problem, too. Since then it works like a charm.

Are you using a "normal" network cable or a crossover cable to connect to your router? A non-crossover cable is highly recommended.

Maybe it solves your problem...

scsimodo
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D-Link card will work. It has a Realtek chipset and uses the 8139too driver. I have three machines that use that chipset to connect, all connected to a Netgear router similar to yours, and all running Gentoo. You can check for sure that it got recognized by doing 'dmesg | less' and looking for it. Too bad that drivers are built in rather than using modules in the 1.4 installation but it works.

Since you have fixed your IP address you need to specify the gateway. If you haven't already, you can do it like this:

route add gw 192.168.0.1 eth0

Using your router's address of course.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/etc/conf.d/net is an ideal place to setup IP information, including gateway.
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 1:33 pm    Post subject: Ok....turns out it was a bad port on the ROUTER....geez... Reply with quote

scsimodo wrote:
Hi!

The missing light means there's no connection to your DSL-Router. I<sniop>

Maybe it solves your problem...

scsimodo

Hello, and thank you one and all very much for all the help and suggestions. Ok, solved the problem, and thought I'd add ONE more thing for newbies like myself to look for.

Just because your router is new, don't assume all the ports on it WORK!!

Get this, started to experiment with the cables to see if the long one I was using was bad. I left it plugged into the router in slot 2 where it had been, I disconnected this box from port 1, and used the port 2 cable. No connection...so, assumed cable was bad. Then, just for shits and giggles, I plugged this machines working cable back in, but, switched it from port 1 to port 2. Voila...no signal. Anyway, ports 2 and 3 on my router do not seem to want to work, but, 1 and 4 do.

Once I got the cable into a working PORT....the boot found the card (as it had been doing), but, this time, it could see the network. So, now, I'm off and running to start the partitioning portion.

Thank you all for giving me some leads....and for the next person, make sure and try other router ports on DSL routers. Mine is a Linksys Etherfast Wireless Access Point + Cable/DSL router with 4-port switch. Don't assume they all work....

:oops: :oops:

Cayenne
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: