Grub timeout problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lsikk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Grub timeout problem Reply with quote

While booting system grub does not timeout and I have to press enter to start gentoo

heres /boot/grub/grub.conf file

default 2
timeout 5
title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
title=gentoo linux 2.6.12-r10
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r10 root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,12$title=gentoo linux 2.6.16-r9
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.16-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,128$
MetalWarrior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Grub timeout problem Reply with quote

Your grub.conf is missing one line, the title of the third option.. it should be:

Code:

default 2
timeout 5

title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r10 root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,12$title=gentoo linux 2.6.16-r9

title=gentoo linux 2.6.16-r9
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.16-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,128$

Without the third "title" line, grub could not start anything "on timeout", since option "2" could not be found (remember that it starts counting from 0, so "default 2" means "the third boot option")

:)
lsikk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: still not working Reply with quote

OK tried it but still not working

For little more info- im using Intel Centrino DL71 notebook
I also have some problems with graphics but that shouldnt effect grub am I right?
MetalWarrior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Grub timeout problem Reply with quote

MetalWarrior wrote:
Your grub.conf is missing one line, the title of the third option.. it should be:

Code:

default 2
timeout 5

title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

root (hd0,2)

root (hd0,2)

Without the third "title" line, grub could not start anything "on timeout", since option "2" could not be found (remember that it starts counting from 0, so "default 2" means "the third boot option")

:)

I've noticed only now that the lines I wrote are really a mess.. there was a "title = " on the line of "kernel =" which I missed... I've answered too quickly without paying much attention :/ Excuse me...
BTW, can you post exactly the content of your grub.conf? Clearly there's something missing in your first post..
lsikk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

default 2
timeout 5

title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r10 root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1280x800-24@60

root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.16-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1280x800-24@60

And I want to boot the 2.6.16-r9. When the list appears, the correct kernel version is selected but then nothing happens
MetalWarrior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm.. I can't see anything wrong... Perhaps you have already tried it, but did you try to change the defaul boot option, ex: "default 0"? I hope someone else can help you with this annoying prolem..
RageOfOrder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever reason, Grub's timer starts before you actually see the menu. My guess is the timer runs out before your boot choices have even loaded, and so nothing happens.

Try setting your timeout to 10, like mine. When my boot menu comes up, I have only 5 seconds to pick, despite my timeout being set to 10.
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try putting your windows partition last. Every example of dual boot I ever saw had it last, and it is last in the handbook, so that is how I did it, and it works. This may have no bearing once so ever. Also, a timeout of 30 is not bad at all. I use it even when there is only one option to boot, in case I want to manually do something.
lsikk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried putting windows to the end of list - still not working
Changeing default and timeout values also not working.
While Im a bit new to Gentoo (and Linux general), is grub.conf the only conf file for grub or it takes info from others too?
What I mean is may it be because I have something wrong with my time settings?

But anyway... thanks for help :)

BTW I just now realized there is a sticy for grub problems :oops: ... How do I move this thread there - for the greater good?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: