2 problems after install.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deviant_user
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: 2 problems after install. Reply with quote

Ok I'm completely new to Gentoo and still pretty new to Linux in general and I hit a snag with Gentoo.

I did a stage 3 install and got everything to work execpt for 2 problems.

1. I get a error when loading up that says

...can't load module 8139cp
missing kernel or user mode driver 8139cp

I know that this is some sort of network card error and I have heard that there are some problems with the 2004.1 releases, is this related? And if so how do I fix.

2. I am dual booting this with Win2000 and no matter what in either OS when I shut it down it will reboot.

AHHHHHH
Somebody please help!
beowulf918
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us some more information, like kernel version, and if it was built by hand or with genkernel, and what 'lspci' sees your ethernet card as. For starters, you may try replacing 8139cp with 8139too in your /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-VERSION.

As for the second problem, I have no clue. Did it do this before you installed gentoo? It sounds like it might be a BIOS problem.

James.
deviant_user
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I used genkernel, vanilla sources., kernel-2.4.24
lspci sees it as a realtek something or other Im actually in windows right now so Ill have to boot up Gentoo to check the rest.

The rebooting problem only occured after I installed Gentoo I never had this problem before, except for the last time I installed Gentoo. But I have been running Red Hat 9 and it has worked fine, I go back to Gentoo and I get the rebooting thing instead of shutdown,

I'll get the rest of the info soon.
beowulf918
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing the kernel version helps. If the 8139too module doesn't work for you, check that 8139cp was enabled when the kernel was built: 'grep CONFIG_8139CP /usr/src/linux-VERSION/.config' . Also, I'm looking in my 2.4.26-gentoo config menu and the driver is labelled as experimental. If the above grep doesn't return any lines, it's possible that the 8139cp driver was part of the gentoo patchset, yet enabled by default in the genkernel default config (peek at /etc/kernels/default-config ).

By the way, is there any particular reason you're using the vanilla-sources instead of one of the more robust patchsets included in portage? Gentoo-sources work very well for desktops.

James.
deviant_user
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah 8139too didnt do a thing when I did a module-update I got

depmod unresolved symbols on /lib/modules/2.4.24/kernel/drivers/net/wan/comx.o

no real particular reason that I'm using vanilla I'm seriously considering redoing it and manually configuring it myself instead of genkernel

ill check out the config file to see if it was enabled next thanx for the help so far and btw lspci returns realtek 8139/8139c/8139c+ so it knows it its just not loading the driver correct for some reason.
beowulf918
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While genkernel is a fantastic idea, I never had much luck getting it to build properly without unresolved symbols. The stuff about your system that you learn by rolling your own kernel is enough that I would encourage everyone to do it by hand. You'll probably run into a flock of errors and missing modules and hardware troubles on the first few builds, but you can progressively tune it until you've built a fine purring kitten. For what it's worth, lspci identifies my card with the line
00:10.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
and I have never had trouble with the 8139too module.

James.
deviant_user
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Im going to try to recompile manually in the morning, anyone got any Ideas about the problems with it rebooting instead of shutting down?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: