View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23, 24, 25  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNugget
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo - The Developers Method - Stage1 and N Reply with quote

ali3nx wrote:

Mounting Proc and dev into the Livecd
----------------------------------------------
Before chrooting you must mount procfs from the running
livecd into the hard drive's newly extracted filesystem for stuff to
operate properly while chrooted. Also /dev on the livecd should be mounted into the chroot also as you may experience some dufficulties setting up grub if your using a promise or other offboard ide card

Code:
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev

I think mounting /dev is a bad idea. It destroyed my whole bootstrap while installing baselayout (which generates some devices). While compiling this packet and generating the devices it kills my knoppix cd/dvd by "flooding" the devices and so i wasn't able to open another terminal or do anything. Without mounting /dev/ everything worked fine.
needlern1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This helped me out a lot. Thank you, ali3nx. I just completed a bootstrap of my emachines (laptop) M6805 (amd64). I used the now testing 2004.3 iso from
http://dev.gentoo.org/~jhuebel/2004.3-testing

At this time I had to add to the boot line the infamous 'pci=noacpi noapic' parameters, in order to get networking going. So the live-cd boot line looks like:
Code:
gentoo pci=noacpi noapic

This allowed me to load the via_rhine module and then I did a net-setup to config my eth0. Actually it might have been detected. I tried so many things before I found that boot line.... Anyway, it works.

I haven't tried the grub skin or frame buffer things yet. HTH, Bill

Last edited by needlern1 on Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
bishop00s
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why am i getting this error when compiling app-arch/tar-1.14.90-r1?
Code:
In file included from /usr/include/stdio.h:28,
                 from argp-fmtstream.h:32,
                 from argp-fs-xinl.c:27:
/usr/include/features.h:265:41: operator '&&' has no right operand

blender.org, gimp.org, inkscape.org!
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zion1 wrote:
why am i getting this error when compiling app-arch/tar-1.14.90-r1?
Code:
In file included from /usr/include/stdio.h:28,
                 from argp-fmtstream.h:32,
                 from argp-fs-xinl.c:27:
/usr/include/features.h:265:41: operator '&&' has no right operand

It's broken. This is the simplest solution:
Code:

echo ">app-arch/tar-1.14" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

Remove that mask when there's a new version that isn't b0rked ;)

There are some dirty hacks to get 1.14.90-r1 compiled but I wouldn't use them ;)
JDHarris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my nbench results on my Athlon64 after using this guide to install

http://63.75.163.189/My%20Pics/nbench_results_11_03_2004.txt

And in order to get udev to work (device files to show up in /dev) I had to add the following arguments to the kernel line in boot.lst:

devfs=nomount gentoo=nodevfs

I was unable to boot completely without this line, /dev/sdX and all the other system devices never showed up so Linux was unable to mount any of the partitions, USB devices, nothing.
nVidia GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

added hdparm after boot section, conf.d/rc example updated for new baselayout in ~x86, added /dev umount and fixed some of my schpellin mistakez :oops:

enjoy =]
Compile long and Prosper!
maztaim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: One-Liner Comment Reply with quote

The only thing I have a beef with is the "Super-Duper One-Liner."

For the average Joe that might be trying this and if a step in the one-liner happens to fail, then you have no idea at what step it goofed. They would have to start all over again from the beginning of the one-liner; They would have to bootstrap all over again.

This isn't so much of a problem if you are familiar with the whole process of setting up Gentoo and you know what to look for to give you an idea of where to start again. I got stuck due to a problem with the tar ebuild during emerge system (must have been a bug). I was able to correct with a sync and restart from emerge system. A cut here and a paste there and the one-liner continued on it's merry way.

Perhaps it would be best to break it down step by step in the article, then provide a link to the one-liner for those that wish to take the plunge? Or, even a quick note with dis/advantages to the one-liner, then a link to the step by step breakdown for those that would prefer stepping through?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: One-Liner Comment Reply with quote

maztaim wrote:
The only thing I have a beef with is the "Super-Duper One-Liner."

For the average Joe that might be trying this and if a step in the one-liner happens to fail, then you have no idea at what step it goofed. They would have to start all over again from the beginning of the one-liner; They would have to bootstrap all over again.

yes, "stacking" multiple commands on one command line could make things confusing, especially for us n00bs. but the reason that he's doing it is because it imparts a tremendous amount of time saving for the user!

if stacking of the commands into a "great one-liner" weren't being done, you'd have to wait for each process to finish before you could start the next one. that is VERY impractical when you're talking about events that could take 1 hour on a fast PC, but serveral hours (or even days!) on a slow PC.

stacking the commands on a single command line relieves the user from having to come back to the PC every hour or so to check on the progress of the big operations like bootstrapping and emerging the system. but concactenating these processes, the user can leave the PC alone for as long as it takes to complete the tasks, and is LIBERATED from being tied down to monitoring the PC's process.

I'm a little late to joining this thread, but right now I'm in the middle of the super-duper bootstrap/emerge one-liner on a Pentium-3 equipped PC. this is my 3rd gentoo installation in a period of 2 weeks, and this one is the most enjoyable one yet. i cannot stress how satisfying it has been to find this thread and follow ali3nx's wonderful HOW-TO. ali3nx, THANKS!!! 8)

maztaim, if you find the concactenated command strings too cumbersome, just replace each pair of double ampersands with a hard carriage return and the result will be a series of simple one line commands. the downside to doing this is that you'll be spending ALOT more time staring at the screen of your PC.

now that i'm already midstream in the installation process, ali3nx, i do have a couple of questions:

1. when you say this:
Quote:
You must add USE="nptl" regardless to bootstrap supporting nptl threading.

i don't follow where the USE="nptl" statement is actually made. i don't see it in make.conf, and i don't see it in the displayed output of make.defaults. where is it?

2. is USE="nptl" germaine only to the Pentium 4, or will I benefit from it on a Pentium 3 as well?

ali3nx, thanks again for all of your effort in documenting such an oustanding HOW-TO!
JDHarris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: One-Liner Comment Reply with quote

[quote="Bob P"]
maztaim wrote:

1. when you say this:
Quote:
You must add USE="nptl" regardless to bootstrap supporting nptl threading.

i don't follow where the USE="nptl" statement is actually made. i don't see it in make.conf, and i don't see it in the displayed output of make.defaults. where is it?

2. is USE="nptl" germaine only to the Pentium 4, or will I benefit from it on a Pentium 3 as well?

ali3nx, thanks again for all of your effort in documenting such an oustanding HOW-TO!

You put the USE="nptl" in your /etc/make.conf file. If the USE variable is not in there, it's okay to add it.
nVidia GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB
maztaim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: One-Liner Comment Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
maztaim, if you find the concactenated command strings too cumbersome, just replace each pair of double ampersands with a hard carriage return and the result will be a series of simple one line commands. the downside to doing this is that you'll be spending ALOT more time staring at the screen of your PC.

I am not disagreeing that it's a time-saver. The problem is that it becomes difficult to troubleshoot if you don't have experience with the build process. Giving somebody an alternative to the one-liner doesn't hurt. Granted it takes a little longer and requires more TLC, but it also helps the inexperienced become familiar with the build process.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: One-Liner Comment Reply with quote

JDHarris wrote:
You put the USE="nptl" in your /etc/make.conf file. If the USE variable is not in there, it's okay to add it.

whew! i'm 4 hours into the super-dooper bootstrap, and i'm glad to see that i do have "nptl" in my /etc/make.conf file. it was buried in the middle of ali3nx's sample make.conf file, which i edited. somehow i managed not to see it in the middle of that huge USE= statement. needless to say, i'm glad i don't have to start over!

so can anyone tell me: is the "nptl" fucntionality something that's supported in the P3 or is it part of the hyperthreading instruction set in the P4?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: One-Liner Comment Reply with quote

maztaim wrote:
I am not disagreeing that it's a time-saver. The problem is that it becomes difficult to troubleshoot if you don't have experience with the build process. Giving somebody an alternative to the one-liner doesn't hurt. Granted it takes a little longer and requires more TLC, but it also helps the inexperienced become familiar with the build process.

although it may not appear intuitive, the only difference between the one-liner and typing everyting on separate command lines is the "&&" concactenation operator. so if anyone is reading this but would prefer to have the one-liner paragraph parsed into something more digestable, just hit a <CR> every time that you see the "&&" and delete the "&&" from the command string, and you're all set to go.

the one-liner install operation is VERY similar to the install guide in the GIH (Gentoo Installation Handbook). although it may not be obvious, if you open the two files in side by side windows and read the code, they pretty much follow one another.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reiser 4 Performance Question Reply with quote

I'm doing my stage 1 installation using the "Standard" minimal installation disk (stable) and the gentoo mirrors. the best that I can do with this method, as far as file systems go, is ReiserFS 3.3. how much performance difference am I giving up by staying with the stable branch instead of going with Reiser 4?
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: One-Liner Comment Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
JDHarris wrote:

whew! i'm 4 hours into the super-dooper bootstrap, and i'm glad to see that i do have "nptl" in my /etc/make.conf file. it was buried in the middle of ali3nx's sample make.conf file, which i edited. somehow i managed not to see it in the middle of that huge USE= statement. needless to say, i'm glad i don't have to start over!

so can anyone tell me: is the "nptl" fucntionality something that's supported in the P3 or is it part of the hyperthreading instruction set in the P4?

NPTL or Native Posix Threading Library is usable in any pc that i'm aware of or at least i've used NPTL in anything ranging from a p75 to a dual 248 opteron 8) A Pentium3 would certainly benifit. My previous smp Pentium3 LOVED nptl threading. Despite the fact that one could just go buy an athlon64 coppermine's with the thick core die react very well to NPTL. I'd not hesitate building another one if i had the opportunity. Native POSIX Thread Library is unfortunately also not included in most UNIX distributions and certainly not proprietory UNIX. Any linux system compiled with Native POSIX Thread Library could and most likely would slaughter UNIX based servers for scalability, agility and overall capacity. Sorry slowaris and *bsd you just got your pink slips in the mail :D

Last edited by ali3nx on Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:12 am; edited 3 times in total
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Reiser 4 Performance Question Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
I'm doing my stage 1 installation using the "Standard" minimal installation disk (stable) and the gentoo mirrors. the best that I can do with this method, as far as file systems go, is ReiserFS 3.3. how much performance difference am I giving up by staying with the stable branch instead of going with Reiser 4?

Reiser4 does offer performance however the linux kernel developers are faced with the changes that Hans Reiser wants to make to the semantec layer of linux filesystems vs using the current state of affairs involving vfs. Everything is still in flux. I support the possibilities and funtionality that Reiser4 has to offer but it should be used with care. I started using Reiser4 at 2.6.1 on a dedicated gaming server and the performance numbers were astounding. 4 half life and one bf1942 and gameservers on one machine with /home mounted as reiser4 and the loads were amazing. Slow disk i/o on hosting boxes can brink a server to it's knees in no time. I often hear admins of Redhat servers claiming they get nervous when user counts get to around 350 users on one server. Bollocks. I've had 8,000 users on one ircd on a gentoo linux server setup with the same procedures here and it never choked once. Here's some old logs i managed to find of our old 2.20 Celeron running Reiser4 from last march. Note that this server was also running NPTL :wink:

Code:
fr0stb1te linux # uptime
02:26:49 up 2 days, 43 min, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
fr0stb1te linux #
fr0stb1te linux # uname -a
Linux fr0stb1te 2.6.3-gentoo-r2 #1 Tue Mar 9 20:17:01 CST 2004 i686 Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
fr0stb1te linux # ps aux |grep bf
bf1942 9542 0.0 0.2 3140 1096 ? S Mar10 1:32 ./ventrilo_srv -d
fr0stb1te linux # ps aux |grep hlds
unknown 19693 0.0 0.2 2100 1024 pts/0 S Mar11 0:00 /bin/sh ./hlds_run +maxplayers 12 -game cstrike +map de_dust +port 27015 -autoupdate +sys_ticrate 10000 +pingboost 3
unknown 4557 0.0 11.4 63124 55184 pts/0 S 00:56 0:03 ./hlds_i686 +maxplayers 12 -game cstrike +map de_dust +port 27015 -autoupdate +sys_ticrate 10000 +pingboost 3

ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo - The Developers Method - Stage1 and N Reply with quote

MrNugget wrote:
ali3nx wrote:

Mounting Proc and dev into the Livecd
----------------------------------------------
Before chrooting you must mount procfs from the running
livecd into the hard drive's newly extracted filesystem for stuff to
operate properly while chrooted. Also /dev on the livecd should be mounted into the chroot also as you may experience some dufficulties setting up grub if your using a promise or other offboard ide card

Code:
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev

I think mounting /dev is a bad idea. It destroyed my whole bootstrap while installing baselayout (which generates some devices). While compiling this packet and generating the devices it kills my knoppix cd/dvd by "flooding" the devices and so i wasn't able to open another terminal or do anything. Without mounting /dev/ everything worked fine.

The dev mount into chroot example is in the official Gentoo Linux x86 handbook and considering that allot of gentoo's developers have either directly or indirectly contributed to this tutorial and some have advised me it is best to include it is here aswell.

<edit> there's some days that adding sleep would be most likely advisable before making comments. :oops: </edit>

Last edited by ali3nx on Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Reiser4 about 1,5 month now. I have nearly one terabyte of space, Reiser4 all the way. Not a single problem or whatsoever ;)

Reiser4 obsoletes ReiserFS, and it should be the most stablest filesystem (and fastest too ;)) because all actions are atomic.

I've been thinking of getting 2x36 GB Raptors in a RAID-0 and Reiser4 as a filesystem 8)
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again ali3nx for your advice on Reiser and threading. I'm really looking forward to seeing how well i can tweak this Pentium 3!

i'm back at the PC to check on the progress of the "sooper dooper spectacular bootstrap-bugfixed oneliner magic", which took just a tad over 6 hours to complete. it looks like i ran into a problem:

Code:
20:50:23 (45.58 KB/s) - '/usr/portage/distfiles/gettext-1.03.tar.gz' saved [4064/4064]

>>> md5 src_uri ;-) gettext-1.03.tar.gz
/usr/portage/eclass/perl-module.eclass: line 168: perl: command not found
/usr/portage/eclass/perl-module.eclass: line 171: perl: command not found
/usr/portage/eclass/perl-module.eclass: line 174: perl: command not found
/usr/portage/eclass/perl-module.eclass: line 177: perl: command not found
/usr/portage/eclass/perl-module.eclass: line 180: perl: command not found
/usr/portage/eclass/perl-module.eclass: line 183: perl: command not found
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking gettext-1.03.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/Locale-gettext-1.03/work
>>> Source unpacked.
/usr/portage/eclass/perl-module.eclass: line 56: perl: command not found

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

!!! ERROR: dev-perl-molule_src_compile, Line 65, Exitcode 2
!!! Function perl-module_src_compile, Line 65, Exitcode 2
!!! compilation failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message

okay, i have to admit that i don't know that the topmost build error is -- otherwise i'd be posting it here. :oops:

looking back at how i followed the directions, everything went smoothly according to alien3x's instructions in the first post, with one minor exception: setting the local timezone.

when i issue the "date" command, i receive the following output:

Code:

livecd portage # date
Tue Oct   5 02:24:02  Local time zone must be set--see zic manual page 2004

i thought it was interesting to note that in alien3x's example in the tutorial, the system clock was set to CDT. i followed the instructions exactly, but since i am booting from a Live CD onto a freshly partitioned hard disk, i don't have a default timezone set. i followed the alien3x example to the letter, and didn't perform the Timezone Setup routine as described in Section 7.a. of the Gentoo Installation Handbook:

Code:

Code Listing 1: Setting the timezone information

# ls /usr/share/zoneinfo
(Suppose you want to use GMT)
# ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT /etc/localtime

i have to admit, i don't know whether this is the source of the problem, but i do wonder whether this is what killed perl for me.

any ideas?

thanks again!

EDIT: corrected a spelling error: "tompost" vs. "topmost"

Last edited by Bob P on Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
thanks again ali3nx for your advice on Reiser and threading. I'm really looking forward to seeing how well i can tweak this Pentium 3!

i'm back at the PC to check on the progress of the "sooper dooper spectacular bootstrap-bugfixed oneliner magic", which took just a tad over 6 hours to complete. it looks like i ran into a problem:

Code:
20:50:23 (45.58 KB/s) - '/usr/portage/distfiles/gettext-1.03.tar.gz' saved [4064/4064]

>>> md5 src_uri ;-) gettext-1.03.tar.gz
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking gettext-1.03.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/Locale-gettext-1.03/work
>>> Source unpacked.
/usr/portage/eclass/perl-module.eclass: line 56: perl: command not found

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

!!! ERROR: dev-perl-molule_src_compile, Line 65, Exitcode 2
!!! Function perl-module_src_compile, Line 65, Exitcode 2
!!! compilation failed
!!! If you need support, post the tompost build error, NOT this status message

okay, i have to admit that i don't know that the tompost build error is -- otherwise i'd be posting it here. :oops:

looking back at how i followed the directions, everything went smoothly according to alien3x's instructions in the first post, with one minor exception: setting the local timezone.

when i issue the "date" command, i receive the following output:

Code:

livecd portage # date
Tue Oct   5 02:24:02  Local time zone must be set--see zic manual page 2004

i thought it was interesting to note that in alien3x's example in the tutorial, the system clock was set to CDT. i followed the instructions exactly, but since i am booting from a Live CD onto a freshly partitioned hard disk, i don't have a default timezone set. i followed the alien3x example to the letter, and didn't perform the Timezone Setup routine as described in Section 7.a. of the Gentoo Installation Handbook:

Code:

Code Listing 1: Setting the timezone information

# ls /usr/share/zoneinfo
(Suppose you want to use GMT)
# ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT /etc/localtime

i have to admit, i don't know whether this is the source of the problem, but i do wonder whether this is what killed perl for me.

any ideas?

thanks again!

It would appear you have found a dependancy bug in portage related to perl not compiling as a dependancy of emerge system. I'll bring this to vapier's attention. For now run the following command.
Code:
emerge libperl && emerge libperl && emerge system

syncops
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear all,

Having some probs with the sooper dooper spectacular bootstrap-bugfixed oneliner magic command.

in gettext-0.14.1.log:
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

configure:exit 1 in config.log for gettext-0.14.1

Make.conf settings:
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=nocona -mtune=pentium4 -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -frerun-cse-after-loop -pipe -msse3 -mfpmath=sse"
USE="nptl"

Logs created in /var/log/portage:
1800-portage-2.0.51-r2.log
1801-portage-2.0.51-r2.log
1802-linux-headers-2.4.21-r1.log
1802-linux26-headers-2.6.8.1-r1.log
1803-linux26-headers-2.6.8.1-r1.log
1803-portage-2.0.51-r2.log
1804-portage-2.0.51-r2.log
1805-linux26-headers-2.6.8.1-r1.log
1806-linux26-headers-2.6.8.1-r1.log
1806-gnuconfig-20040214.log
1807-gnuconfig-20040214.log
1807-gettext-0.14.1.log

any ideas, anyone ?

<edit>
I would like to note i'm trying to create a <stable> production Apache/modSLL/PHP/Perl/Mysql server
maybe i'm better off using a stage 2 pentium 4 stage ?
</edit>
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncops wrote:
dear all,

Having some probs with the sooper dooper spectacular bootstrap-bugfixed oneliner magic command.

in gettext-0.14.1.log:
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

configure:exit 1 in config.log for gettext-0.14.1

Make.conf settings:
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=nocona -mtune=pentium4 -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -frerun-cse-after-loop -pipe -msse3 -mfpmath=sse"
USE="nptl"

Logs created in /var/log/portage:
1800-portage-2.0.51-r2.log
1801-portage-2.0.51-r2.log
1802-linux-headers-2.4.21-r1.log
1802-linux26-headers-2.6.8.1-r1.log
1803-linux26-headers-2.6.8.1-r1.log
1803-portage-2.0.51-r2.log
1804-portage-2.0.51-r2.log
1805-linux26-headers-2.6.8.1-r1.log
1806-linux26-headers-2.6.8.1-r1.log
1806-gnuconfig-20040214.log
1807-gnuconfig-20040214.log
1807-gettext-0.14.1.log

any ideas, anyone ?

<edit>
I would like to note i'm trying to create a <stable> production Apache/modSLL/PHP/Perl/Mysql server
maybe i'm better off using a stage 2 pentium 4 stage ?
</edit>

I would assume that your CFLAGS are the problem. remove -march=nocona. it's invalid. Tame them down a bit, remove mtune for all stage built gcc versions and last read my make.conf exaple. it has all the valid gcc examples you will require. You may wish to read the acovea gcc optimization chart aswell. It explains in great detail about implied optimizations. google for acovea. you'll find it.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ali3nx wrote:
It would appear you have found a dependancy bug in portage related to perl not compiling as a dependancy of emerge system. I'll bring this to vapier's attention. For now run the following command.
Code:
emerge libperl && emerge libperl && emerge system

ok. i did that. it looks like i ran into another set of fatal errors. here's what's visible onscreen:

Code:
tar: shadow-4.0.5/etc/pam.d/Makefile.in: time stamp 2004-10-26 01:34:04 is 1799634 s in the future
tar: shadow-4.0.5/etc/pam.d/useradd: time stamp 2004-10-23 23:38:25 is 1619895 s in the future
tar: shadow-4.0.5/etc/pam.d/chage: time stamp 2004-10-23 23:38:07 is 1619877 s in the future
tar: shadow-4.0.5/etc/pam.d/chpasswd: time stamp 2004-10-23 23:38:10 is 1619880 s in the future
tar: shadow-4.0.5/etc/pam.d/groupadd: time stamp 2004-10-23 23:38:12 is 1619882 s in the future
tar: shadow-4.0.5/etc/pam.d/groupdel: time stamp 2004-10-23 23:38:14 is 1619884 s in the future
tar: shadow-4.0.5/etc/pam.d/groupmod: time stamp 2004-10-23 23:38:16 is 1619886 s in the future
tar: shadow-4.0.5/etc/pam.d/login: time stamp 2004-10-23 23:34:57 is 1619687 s in the future
tar: shadow-4.0.5/etc/pam.d/newsuers: time stamp 2004-10-23 23:38:20 is 1919890 s in the future
tar: shadow-4.0.5/etc/pam.d/usermod: time stamp 2004-10-23 23:38:27 is 1619897 s in the future
tar: shadow-4.0.5/etc/pam.d: time stamp 2004-10-26 21:57:17 is 1873027 s in the future
tar: shadow-4.0.5/etc: time stamp 2004-10-26 21:57:17 is 1873027 s in the future
 * Applying shadow-4.0.4.1-nonis.patch ...
 * Applying shadow-4.0.5-nls-manpages.patch ...
 * Applying shadow-4.0.5-login.defs.patch ...
 * Applying shadow-4.0.4.1-passwd-typo.patch ...
 * Applying shadow-4.0.5-skey.patch ...
 * Applying shadow-4.0.5-remove-else.patch ...
 * Applying shadow-4.0.5-hack-X-envvars.patch ...
 * Applying shadow-4.0.4.1-nonis.patch ...
 * Using GNU config files from /usr/share/libtool
 *  Updating config.sub
 *  Updating config.guess
 * Patching ${S}/ltmain.sh
 *   Applying portage-1.4.1.patch ...
 *   Applying max_cmd_len-1.5.0.patch ...
 * Applying uClibc/libtool patches ...
>>> Source unpacked.
./configure --prefix=/usr --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-desrpc --with-libcrypt --with-libcrack --enable-shared=no --enablestatic=yes --with-lipbam --without-libskey --without-selinux --enable-nls
configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane ... configure: error: newly created file is older than distributed files!
Check your system clock

!!! ERROR: sys-apps/shadow-4.0.5-r2 failed.
!!! Function econf, Line 449, Exitcode 1
!!! econf failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

as i type this message, the date on my PC reads:

Tue Oct 5 16:46:27 UTC 2004.

i executed your commands at 03:30 this a.m.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just realized that I set my system clock to October instead of November. Duh. :oops:

Last edited by Bob P on Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'OH!! It took me a long time to realize that I had mistakenly set the date to OCT 5 instead of Nov 5!

so now I'm trying this:
Code:
emerge shadow && emerge shadow && emerge system

and i hope to be back into action shortly. :wink:

assuming that this works, what's next? do I just resume the one-liner instructions starting after "emerge system"?
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo - The Developers Method - Stage1 and N Reply with quote

ali3nx wrote:
The dev mount into chroot example is in the official Gentoo Linux x86 handbook and considering that allot of gentoo's developers have either directly or indirectly contributed to this tutorial and some have advised me it is best to include it is here aswell.

It's not in the current official x86 handbook.
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
D'OH!! It took me a long time to realize that I had mistakenly set the date to OCT 5 instead of Nov 5!

so now I'm trying this:
Code:
emerge shadow && emerge shadow && emerge system

and i hope to be back into action shortly. :wink:

assuming that this works, what's next? do I just resume the one-liner instructions starting after "emerge system"?

Yep.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 7 of 25

Jump to: