Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Anyone tried Operation Flashpoint with new WineX 3?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
occe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Anyone tried Operation Flashpoint with new WineX 3? Reply with quote

Hi,

It seems as though Operation Flashpoint should run with the new winex according to the forum on Transgamings website, and it installs fine, but its really slow, anyone tried it? its about 1 frame every 5 s..... :(

/occe

AMD64 3000+
Nvidia Geforce6600GT
sandcrawler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried flashpoint but it was the GOTY edition and it wouldn't let the install proceed to the second CD since the first was locked in the CD-ROM.

Anyone else got a solution?
ormi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it and had the same issue. Winex ran it very poorly and wine (20031016) couldn't even run it (gfx was just a mess).
JusKickNit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mos19k wrote:
I've tried flashpoint but it was the GOTY edition and it wouldn't let the install proceed to the second CD since the first was locked in the CD-ROM.

Anyone else got a solution?

There's and app in portage called "cdctl". You force it to unlock you efect button. Still have to remount the new cd though. I used on Sim City 4. If I remeber correctly it's cdctl -oA /dev/cd*
subzero349
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

while installing the game, when it asks for cd2:

1. open up a terminal window
2. as root type: "eject cdrom" (without quotes) this will unmount the cdrom and physically eject it.
3. insert cd2 and remount
neurosis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

subzero349 wrote:
Hi,

while installing the game, when it asks for cd2:

1. open up a terminal window
2. as root type: "eject cdrom" (without quotes) this will unmount the cdrom and physically eject it.
3. insert cd2 and remount

This doesn't work - the drive is flagged as being 'busy' and it won't unmount, even with -f (force).

cdctl didn't work for me either - the installer simply doesn't recognize that the second CD has been inserted.

Time to try copying all three to the hard drive...

-unknown
neurosis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. the manual copy-over worked to get it installed.. But I'm having the same problems as with any other WineX version. The textures are all screwy, some are missing, others are dark or misplaced.

Does anyone have this game running acceptably in Linux?

-unknown
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I tried to install it. Manually ejecting the CD during the setup does not work (it is busy).

I tried to copy all 3 CDs to the HDD, but it has the same error: hangs and waits for the second CD to be inserted...
How could you install it? What is the trick?

Regards,
Sipi
neurosis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sipi wrote:

I tried to copy all 3 CDs to the HDD, but it has the same error: hangs and waits for the second CD to be inserted...
How could you install it? What is the trick?

Sorry - I copied over a working installation from a Windows partition.

-unknown
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. And it did work? I think it needs some registry entries showing that the game is installed. How could you set these settings?
(I have a w2k on the system for testing, and I think wine doesn't handle w2k registry too well.)

Sipi
neurosis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sipi wrote:
Hm. And it did work? I think it needs some registry entries showing that the game is installed. How could you set these settings?

It seemed to work without the registry settings, but I was getting graphical errors that made the game unplayable. Textures were missing, leaving alot of the 3d objects completely black.

-unknown
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's an interesting and it seems quite obvious solution to the cd swapping problem. they play a .wav file from the cdroms, so you need to change the permissions for /dev/dsp while installing the game :).

update: i just tried that and it's a no-go. don't know why, but my cdrom still stays busy. i'll try wine.

-- John Sheridan - Babylon 5, Season 4
Moofed
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resorted to copying from windows as well. :(
The only version of winex the game runs correctly in is 3.1 which you have to rename the 3.2 ebuild to install. After that, make sure not to use Direct3D T&L or else a bunch of textures will look really faded (foggy).
The sound in version 3.1 has some problems, but replacing /usr/lib/transgaming_winex3/winex/lib/libdsound.so with the one from winex 3.3.2 fixes that.
Finally, if you're going to do multiplayer only use sockets, not directplay.

Oh yeah...if you have the GOTY edition or the expansion pack, install the newest patch (1.96) as it removes the cd check. :D
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have installed it on Windows, played a little bit.
Than rebooted to Gentoo, copied to wine dir, but it can't be started. It says that a debugger is detected, please, unload it...

BTW, when running wine, I always get that --debugmsg is deprecated, use WINEDEBU env. variable.
I exported it, I use it, I have WINEDEBUG=-all defined everywhere, but I always get this message... Why? Is this only a warning, or it has no effect?

I use GOTY edition v1.91. Did you "played" it with 1.96 patch?

Sipi
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, managed to do it.
First, wine wrapper script (/usr/bin/wine) is too old, need some editing.
In it, one could find at the end of it a line starting up wine itself. It has a --debugmsg appended to it - but now it is deprecated. Here comes the warning message.
Simply delete it, modify to

WINEDEBUG=-all "$RUNWINE" "$0"

Second, OpFlash needed registry settings. So, I searched the registry in Windows. It finds 5 places for it, 3 is only some garbage, only two are needed. First is the serial number, second is the uninstaller line.

After it, OperationFlashpoint.exe still gives the debugger deteted error, but Resistance.exe can be run.

And it is EXTREMELY slow, so unplayable... But, there is some light, because it can run it. Maybe future wine versions works better.

Sipi
Moofed
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it plays nicely with the 1.96 patch. The "debugger detected" message is a byproduct of the cd-check, which is removed with 1.96. What wine/winex version are you using? In my experience the best version for OFP is winex 3.1. Make sure to run the preferences program, im not sure what the default settings are if you dont set them yourself.
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, I'm so sad you wrote it is nicely playable...:)
I don't have winex, just pure wine. Latest one.
With it, with the registry importing, I can start the game, but it is unplayable... So slow...

But it is good to hear that winex runs it well. It means, I have to wait a while and wine will run it, too! :)

Sipi
neurosis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have better luck with WineX 4.0 (Cedega)?

I was anxious to try it last night, but it loaded up with the same black textures... Perhaps because I copied it over from my Windows installation it's the 'FADE' copy-protection kicking in for some reason?

-unknown
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wasn't able to completly install the game, even though it's about finished. there isn't really anything special on the 3rd cd, but it can't detect it and won't finish the install. therefore you need to cancel it, and even though you can save the directory by temporarily renaming it, you don't have no registry entries, and therefore can't apply a patch...

-- John Sheridan - Babylon 5, Season 4
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I wrote, you can make it if you install under Windows, copy to Linux, and write some (two) registry entries into Wine's registry. On code is for System registry, one is for User. (One is the serial number, one is some other. :) )

There will be about 3 other entries in registry, but they are not important.
This way the patch should be applied, and the game will not scream about not finding its key.

Sipi
neurosis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sipi wrote:
As I wrote, you can make it if you install under Windows, copy to Linux, and write some (two) registry entries into Wine's registry. On code is for System registry, one is for User. (One is the serial number, one is some other. :) )

There will be about 3 other entries in registry, but they are not important.
This way the patch should be applied, and the game will not scream about not finding its key.

Could you not just patch it under Windows?

I'm wondering if your method will solve my 'black textures' problem..

-unknown
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry, of course you can...:)

I didn't get any texture problem on the main screen. (It was so slow, that I can't start the firefighting itself.)
But I think that because the main screen uses live action scenes by the game engine (soldiers, tanks firing...), and it is good, the game should be good, too.

Maybe you need to switch HW T&L on/off, or in setup, choose the other DirectX method (one is with T&L, one is pure DirectX).

Sipi
neurosis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sipi wrote:
Yeah, sorry, of course you can...:)
I didn't get any texture problem on the main screen. (It was so slow, that I can't start the firefighting itself.)
But I think that because the main screen uses live action scenes by the game engine (soldiers, tanks firing...), and it is good, the game should be good, too.
Maybe you need to switch HW T&L on/off, or in setup, choose the other DirectX method (one is with T&L, one is pure DirectX).

Yeah, I've tried messing with the graphics settings - every combination I can think of.. :( I'm using Nvidia hardware - a GeForce4 ti4200. Unfortunately, the title is a bit old and I doubt we'll see Transgaming put any effort into getting it going... too bad, because its such an awesome game :)

-unknown
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nVidia, too, a GeForce2 GTS. :)
But I use wine... And because this is almost the only game I would like to play, I wil not buy WineX...

Anyway, some effort should be done, because older wine versions refused to start the game. Now, I can start it, but slow. Who knows, maybe in some months it will playable. :)

Sipi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: