USE flags question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyborat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: USE flags question Reply with quote

Forgive me for beeing such a newbie dork...

I got to the point of the install where you pick your USE flags, and I figured I'd pick more extensively later. So, I just used the ones they listed, but I included both Gnome and KDE, unlike the example in the install manual. Then, I went ahead to the next step and did emerge gentoo-sources. This brings 2 questions up:

1) Is it ok that I didn't pick all flags now, or should I start over? I think I'm fuzzy as to when I should go through and pick everything I'm going to be using, so I have an inclusive USE variable set up. I realize I can update these flags later, but I'm not sure what to set them to during my initiall install.

2) Is it bad that I want to have the option to use both Gnome and KDE? Maybe I've been spoiled on other flavors of linux, but I like to keep an eye on what each environment is up to as they keep getting updated - BUT - please let me know if it's just too much for a newbie to figure out how to get the system to give me both options.

Thanks in advance - I'm feeling like I'm going from looking for the easiest Graphical install to a very complex setup. I want to learn it, mind you... but I'm just afraid I'll FOOBAR the whole thing ROFL! Hey, at least I've gotten this far! Now, if I can only get the new Transgaming system running nicely... :)

Um - note to self - don't do:
Code:
emerge -u world

when you haven't done:
Code:
emerge sync

in two months!!! D'OH
LeTene
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very quickly:

1) yes, it's OK to just leave out the USE flags for the moment (set them to USE=""). When you have installed the gentoo base system i.e. you can boot your box to a nice text console login, and are ready to emerge a graphical window system & all the apps you want - then start worrying about the USE flags.

2) Nope, it's not bad! The choice is yours - install as much/little in the way of desktop environments as you want. If you install Gnome & KDE you can use one of their login managers, the GDM variant is easiest to install in my opinion (there is separate gentoo documentation on installing Gnome/KDE and it's mentioned at the end of the install handbook).
chevron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I will try and answer these questions to the best of my ability.

1) Its your choice. But when you get to the part where you emerge packages, the packages mentioned require HUGE dependencies. So the USE variable can be used to disallow certain packages from being emerged. Like "emu10k1", emerging this package would also emerge GTK, which will emerge X and so on. All together it is about 17 packages. So, if you have the time (make a sandwich, watch TV) you can emerge the entire package.

To check which packages will be emerged, type
Code:
emerge --pretend <packagename>

As this will print out the list of packages that will be emerged along with your package.

2) You can install as many desktop enviroments as you like. But be sure to edit /etc/rc.conf to change the enviroment. Or you can do it from console. I forget the commands (Google might be of some help here)

If someone could correct me if I'm wrong on any of these, it would be appreciated :P
cyborat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Thanks!!!! Reply with quote

That is great!

One more question (for now) would be - How well does Gentoo handle new hardware? When I install new hardware, does it auto-detect stuff similarly to Kudzu? And I assume the drivers for my hardware (vid-card etc) all get updated with a sync?

Man, can't wait to get off work today, so I can go get more Gentoo installed (left it waiting for me)! If I can get this system running like I want, and the new Transgaming engine truly plays at least most of my games, I forsee my Windoze partition getting smaller, and smaller, and smaller, until >POP< just like Pacman!

=)

Um - note to self - don't do:
Code:
emerge -u world

when you haven't done:
Code:
emerge sync

in two months!!! D'OH
jkt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!!! Reply with quote

cyborat wrote:
One more question (for now) would be - How well does Gentoo handle new hardware?

as well as any other linux. and if the HW is located outside the computer case (printers, scanners, cameras,...), that depends on the aplication that controlls the device, which is usually up-to-date if you're updating.

Quote:
When I install new hardware, does it auto-detect stuff similarly to Kudzu? And I assume the drivers for my hardware (vid-card etc) all get updated with a sync?

of course not. only kernel (well, that's not entirely true...) has permission to tuch your hw. so you have to upgrade kernel regulary (that's done by `emerge sync && emerge -uv your-sources` and by kernel rebuild). Xserver (XFree86 or X.org) should be updated too.
jkt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more thing - if you're tweaking USE flags, do it once. USE flags affect features supported by your software. don't add kde flag without others that you're going to use, that will result in nedd to recompiling.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: