VFS: Cannot open root device "ataraid/disc0/part3"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 3:53 am    Post subject: VFS: Cannot open root device "ataraid/disc0/part3" Reply with quote

ihave finished my install abd the systems is booting but ...

VFS: Cannot open root device "ataraid/disc0/part3" or 00:0a
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:0a

help i just cant figure it out!!
BernieKe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try following this guide
SingleHanded
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: VFS: Cannot open root device "ataraid/disc0/part3&q Reply with quote

kiwi wrote:
ihave finished my install abd the systems is booting but ...

VFS: Cannot open root device "ataraid/disc0/part3" or 00:0a
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:0a

What kernel sources do you use, got the same prob with gentoo-sources r9, changing to mjc-sources solved my problems :lol:
BernieKe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a very common fault, it just means that the kernel cannot find your root partitition during boottime

this can be caused by kernel version (i had it when i tried using the latest kernel (2.4.19r10); caused by a kernelraidmodule which couldn't detect my harddrives -> solution: i used the 2.4.19r7 which did detect my drives)

it can also be caused by an incorrect path given to the kernel (remember the root=... parameter ?) -> solution: use the /dev/ataraid/dXpY notation instead of the /dev/ataraid/discX/partY notation (described in the guide: you will have to make a symlink to trick lilo...)

so conclusion: the two main reasons for getting this fault are:
  1. the harddrives (partitions) are not found at the correct time during booting
  2. you've used an incorrect path to identify the root-partition (which can be caused by the paths being different during booting and after booting)

Last edited by BernieKe on Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Caviel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I've tried both root kernel options and both come up with the same results. I've tried Gentoo 2.4.19r9, and vanilla 2.4.20, but they all come up with the same error.

Quote:
so conclusion: the two main reasons for getting this fault are:

1. the harddrives (partitions) are not found at the correct time during booting

This is what I think is going on with my system. It looks like it's not loading the Promise interface at all, but it picks up the primary and secondary IDEs on the motherboard along with the floppy controller. Any suggestions on how to shift up priority on the Promise card before it attempts to boot, or what the 'standard' output is so I know I'm looking for the right thing?
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same problem - tried 3 different kernels, but to no avail. I found a post in which someone had listed some identifiers for each hard drive (hex codes) that could be passed to the kernel at boot to try and recognize your HD's by the Promise controller, but when I tried it the kernel kept loading the md module instead of pdcxxxx module. I recompiled with just the pdcxxxx module (compiled into the kernel) and still didn't have any luck.

There is a possiblity I was doing something wrong with my kernel compile, but I have done many successful ones in the past and also spent literally hours going over it to see if there was something I missed, so I don't think that was it.

In my search of the boards, I started to read about LSR (Linux Software Raid) and EVMS (Enterprise Volume Management System), and decided to stop banging my head against that wall and give it a go. I disabled the raid function of my promise chip (onboard - just wish I could work out how to do it with my PCI TX2000 controller cuz its ATA/133 - onboard one is only ATA/100), and successfully got up and running using EVMS to make my lsr partitions. The only hitch I had was me making the /boot partition an EVMS partition as well - had to reconfigure after I got up and running and make it a normal partition as grub doesn't see EVMS patitions (yet?).

Unless your heart is set on using your promise controller in a RAID config, I would highly recommend having a go at EVMS with LSR. I have not really had a chance to compare it's peformance as yet, but there are many threads in the forums that claim it is as good if not better than a Promise RAID setup. EVMS was fun to play with too - a little tricky getting your head around at first, but once you get the hang of it, it is quite intuative. Just read the documentation on their hompage and check out drobbins' articles on the IBM site.
BernieKe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm also giving up on my hptraid module, since lsr (md) evms seams to be easier and faster (yet have to try it myself but that's the general opinion on the forums apparantly)

but if you already have raidpartitions set up, containing a shitload of data, the step is somewhat bigger

what i did to get everything running:
using iso 1.2,
using ataraid and (in my case) hptraid,
fdisking my raidpartitions,
untarring the stage 1 tarbal 1.4,
emerging gentoo-sources 2.4.19r7,
reading this on how to correctly build a kernel from new sources,
build the r7 kernel,
emerge lilo,
setup lilo according what i wrote here (what it doesn't mention is that in fstab i used /dev/ataraid/discX/partY notation),
and...
reboot

everytime i got your error; it was because i either didn't follow what i just wrote myself or because i tried using grub

[EDIT]
Caviel wrote:

Any suggestions on how to shift up priority on the Promise card before it attempts to boot

if you want to boot of a raidcard, you should set your bios boot-sequence to make it boot from SCSI, but that's probably not what you mean;

i've come across a post which explained how to make the raidcard ide's the first to be loaded, before the onboard ide's (you will have to pass kerneloption
Code:
ide=reverse
and you'll have to enable
Code:
Boot off-board chipsets first support
in the kernel);
but then you'll have to make sure that you also reverse fe. hde to hda and hda to hde anywhere you use them, because hda will then be the first drive on the raidcard, and hde the first on your onboard ide's (assuming your raidcard only has two ports on it)

but, personally, i don't think this will make any difference to your problem
Caviel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unless your heart is set on using your promise controller in a RAID config, I would highly recommend having a go at EVMS with LSR. I have not really had a chance to compare it's peformance as yet, but there are many threads in the forums that claim it is as good if not better than a Promise RAID setup. EVMS was fun to play with too - a little tricky getting your head around at first, but once you get the hang of it, it is quite intuative. Just read the documentation on their hompage and check out drobbins' articles on the IBM site

It's an old 233 Pentium with a TX2000 so I can't turn off RAID support, and the onboard will be very slow compared to the speed I could get from the Promise card. Plus it's for work, so wasting the card purchase really isn't an option either...This has taken so long, I may have to switch to RedHat just to get the project finished. I'm lothe to do it though since the only thing I need for Gentoo is the stupid kernel to boot and I have a functional file server...

Quote:
if you want to boot of a raidcard, you should set your bios boot-sequence to make it boot from SCSI, but that's probably not what you mean;

It is set to boot off of the SCSI card, but you're right. This isn't the problem I'm having. GRUB works just fine, so that tells me it's talking to the RAID arrary since my setup is:

/disc0/part1 = /boot (ext3)
/disc0/part2 = swap space
/disc0/part3 = / (ext3)

Quote:
i've come across a post which explained how to make the raidcard ide's the first to be loaded, before the onboard ide's (you will have to pass kerneloption Code:
ide=reverse
and you'll have to enable Code:
Boot off-board chipsets first support
in the kernel);
but then you'll have to make sure that you also reverse fe. hde to hda and hda to hde anywhere you use them, because hda will then be the first drive on the raidcard, and hde the first on your onboard ide's (assuming your raidcard only has two ports on it)

but, personally, i don't think this will make any difference to your problem

Yea, I think you're right. My thought was the kernel can't find the boot partition. I make absolutely sure I have ext3 support hard compiled in so I know that isn't the problem, and I've tried every root= option mentioned on the forums. My only thought is I'm compiling the kernel wrong, but I've included the Promise cards and FasTrack support, so I'm not sure how else I could be messing it up.
BernieKe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you ever tried lilo instead of grub?

i never succeeded in getting grub to cooperate with the raidpartitions (even when installing - like in the new documentation - on a diskette and from there on hd)

other than that, i'm fresh out of ideas
nomoore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a promise raid card (mine's built on to the mobo) try using root=7203 with grub (72 is the major device number in hex, 03 is the minor number or partition number). Make a grub boot disk, boot from it and install grub from the grub boot prompt. That root statement is a kernel option and goes at the end of the kernel statement BTW.
Caviel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried both LILO and GRUB, both come up with the same error for me. I've tried:

kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/ataraid/disc0/part1
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/ataraid/d0p1
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/ataraid/d0p1 as a sym link to /ataraid/disc0/part1
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/ataraid/disc0/part3
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/ataraid/d0p3
kernel /boot/bzImage root=7201
kernel /boot/bzImage root=7203

for the kernel parameters, all make similar incorrect root parameter errors...The only thing left is an incorrectly compiled kernel, but like I said I added Promise card with FasTrack support into the kernel. I would think that would be enough to get the kernel not to panic, but it someone knows of something that I missed, I would be most appreciative.
BernieKe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only thing i can come up with is like you said the kernel

i've never used the r9 before, but i do now that the r10 and the kernel supplied with livecd 1.4rc1 (dunno which one that is), don't work for me when i use raid

i also know that the r7 works fine, you might want to try the r7 ? (in combination with lilo and d0p3)
GurliGebis
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a grub bootdisk, and do the:

root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

from it, and then remove the root= part of the kernel line in grub.conf, it should still work.

So, your grub.conf should look like this:

Code:

default 0
timeout 0

title=gentoo linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage

Caviel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the kernel option from GRUB (I use GRUB so I can edit the boot params in the menu), then I get:

Code:
VFS: Cannot open boot device "" or 72:03
Please append a correct "root=" option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 72:03

Since no kernel options, and root=7203 both come up with the same basic error, it's looking more and more like the kernel is the problem, not GRUB...

I'll try the gentoo r7 kernel, I've only tried Gentoo r9, and vanilla 2.4.20.
GurliGebis
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you enabled the promise (I guess you are using that one) controller in the kernel, and the support for ATA-RAID, all static?
If you are using the Gentoo-sources r10, there is a bug that prevents the kernel from detecting the controller.

I would recommend you to try the newest vanilla-sources, although it doesn't contain all the gentoo-patches, you can easily live without them.

Report back when you have tried the vanilla sources, don't go for r7 of gentoo-sources, since it is only 2.4.19, and vanilla is 2.4.20.
Caviel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't make a modular kernel with this system since the hardware won't be changing and it's only going to be running Samba...

I don't remember seeing an ATA-RAID support option in the menuconfig...Where is it at?
GurliGebis
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down in the buttom of IDE-ATA-Something.
Also remember to enable support for your Promise chipset (In the middle) too.
nomoore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the gentoo 2.4.19(r10?) sources are broken and don't detect the promise raid device correctly. Try the vanilla 2.4.20 sources. This is why the 1.4 boot cd won't work correctly I assume.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you compile support for your ide controller, and raid controller, and raid support itself all into your kernel ?
Caviel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know the gentoo 2.4.19(r10?) sources are broken and don't detect the promise raid device correctly. Try the vanilla 2.4.20 sources. This is why the 1.4 boot cd won't work correctly I assume.

I've re-installed Gentoo using ext2 instead now, and I only emerged the vanilla 4.2.20 kernel with GRUB. I did not install modular support, so everything I've done is installed into the kernel.

Quote:
did you compile support for your ide controller, and raid controller, and raid support itself all into your kernel ?

I did include the IDE controller since it picks up the IDE CD-ROM, and any mention of Promise cards, FasTrack, or ATA-RAID I could find experimental or otherwise. The only thing I didn't install was the RAID support, since that is software RAID and this is hardware RAID 0.

Interestlingly enough, when I compiled in additional Highpoint drivers by accident, the kernel displayed a message about the Highpoint drivers and that it could not find an array before proceding to kernel panic like it's been doing. I have yet to see any messages regarding Promise drivers during boot time.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that it is something in (or not in) the kernel, but I'm at a complete loss as to what it could be...The chip is the PDC20271 if that helps...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: