complete newbie question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brennos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: complete newbie question Reply with quote

I read the whole manual, but I couldn't quite figure out where to begin to install a stage 3. I've downloaded the stage 3 of 2004.1 untarred it, and got stuck. Luckly I found a old CD with Gentoo 1.4 (downloaded it previous year in a very enthousiastic mood), but unfortunately after reading the manual very carefully, executing every command that was needed and I got a error. An error concurring quiesce. I found some stuff about that on the forum, I'm still trying to get that working.
Please help me ... I've already succesfully installed Mandrake once, but Gentoo seemed cooler to me.
I'm using a G4 with both Mac OS X.3.4. My bootstrap is hda9, Mac OS X is on hda10, i tried to make an exchange partition (to exchange files between OS X and Gentoo) on hda11, swap is on hda12 and the root on hda13
_savage
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you be a little more specific about the actual error, when it happend, what it said etc... the Gentoo Install How-To works great, for me, and seemingly heaps of other people too ;-)

jens
Brennos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry.
I've just downloaded the new 2004.1 LiveCD, works perfect untill I want to reboot after the installation. Unmounting the filesystems fails ... I have no idea what to do.
Brennos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to unmount al the mounted device, untill only the LiveCD (2004.0 although I did download 2004.1) and the live-env were still mounted. I tried to reboot and again the unmounting failed. Did anybody else had the same problem?
A second question, when I print the partition table, I see a lot of very small partitions (I guess Mac OS X made those). Is it necessary to place the bootstrap in front of those partition, and can that be done bay just reordering the partitions?
fsdnw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brennos wrote:
I tried to unmount al the mounted device, untill only the LiveCD (2004.0 although I did download 2004.1) and the live-env were still mounted. I tried to reboot and again the unmounting failed. Did anybody else had the same problem?

I had the same problem-couldn't unmount either. So when I was done installing, I just turned the power off, then on again.

Brennos wrote:
A second question, when I print the partition table, I see a lot of very small partitions (I guess Mac OS X made those). Is it necessary to place the bootstrap in front of those partition, and can that be done bay just reordering the partitions?

I've had several Linux distros on PPC, and I've always put the bootstrap partition after these odd small partitions. Never had a problem doing this.
_savage
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too had the problems that i could not unmount the partitions. reset, boot and everything was most peachy :-) as for the little partitions: yes, it's all os-x allocated, on my TiBook up to hda9. so my bootstrap is hda10, then swap 1gig, then gentoo 10gig, and the rest is a data partition shared between os-x and linux.

jens
Brennos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did that to, but I guess that ain't the way it should be :D
Luckly I did succeed in booting the right kernel, BUT I get this real annoying error, which I already found on the forum, but can't figure out how to solve it.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=96786 I've a G4, compiled the kernel with 6xx/7xx/74xx/8260, POWER3 and POWER4 nothing worked. There are still others, but I thought it could save me some time by asking it here and not trying every processor type since compiling the kernel consumes quite some time.
Brennos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: quiesce and bootproblems Reply with quote

Forgot something, I have a PowerMac3,4.1.1 motherboard.
And another question: in the manual I read there are 5 different kernels? ppc-sources, ppc-sources-benh, ... I've tried to emerge them all, only ppc-sources worked. I looked in the portage and found ppc-development and ppc-dev-sources, but they both gave an error (no ebuild found and wrong name). I thought it wouldn't make such a big difference, but now I see I've got kernel 2.4.26-ppc-r2, while the LiveCD is running 2.6.5.
What am I doing wrong?
Brennos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replying again on my own thread. :)
I figured out how to workaround the quiesce error. I emerged the gentoo-sources (kernel 2.6.7), compiled the kernel again. The filesystems still fail to unmount, but I manually configured the boot-device by:

setenv boot-device hd:9,\\yaboot
boot

Unfortunatly I encountered a new problem. The system automatically restarts after my standard Apple keyboard and mouse are loaded. Something intial failed. So I reconfigured my kernel and compiled it again. Same error. Does anybody have an idea?
pindar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a couple people here, I had the same problems with unmounting filesystems - I could never cleanly unmount them all, but a reboot -f worked, and I had no problems after rebooting. I also had errors similar to the ones you describe (at some point in boot process, I would hear the startup chime again and be back at the OF prompt). There is something missing in your kernel, or two options clash, or... I guess a good way would be to start from the config on the LiveCD, see the hint in this thread. Once you have a kernel that boots your computer, you can go ahead and try to find another config that will work.
Brennos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I compiled the kernel this time with the config for G4 in genkernel. Everything works fine now. Except my airport, but I thought I saw a thread about that somewhere.
_savage
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brennos wrote:
I've a G4, compiled the kernel with 6xx/7xx/74xx/8260, POWER3 and POWER4 nothing worked.

AFAIK G4 is not a Power4, but i can be mistaken. what are your CC fags?
jens
Brennos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea, I skipped that section of the manual, but everything is working well now ... althought pretty well, still some problems with the kernel.
I'm looking for the configfile of the kernel on LiveCD 2004.1, because Airport works with that one and not with mine, but I'm missing some features. If I would have that config file I could compare and compile a good kernel for my system.
protosub
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The config file for the installation cd can be found here:

/proc/config.gz

I am pretty new to all this and I have never accessed a kernel config this way, I guess you just got to decompress it?
gfs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just decompress it,heres the steps i took:
(This is assuming youve mounted /proc,/dev and chrooted into /mnt/gentoo)
Code:

# cp /proc/config.gz /tmp
# gunzip /tmp/config.gz
# cd /usr/src/linux
# cp ./.config config.bak1
# cp /tmp/config ./.config
# make all && make modules_install
chcl3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about your unmounting problem, don't forget to unmount /mnt/gentoo/proc et /mnt/gentoo/dev (and /mnt/gentoo/home, ...) before trying to unmount /mnt/gentoo then exit and reboot, it should work properly.[/code]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: