Using Mozilla Thunderbird with Opera
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nephren-Ka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Using Mozilla Thunderbird with Opera Reply with quote

Hey all, I am an Opera user, and I prefer to use Thunderbird for my email client....however it has always annoyed me, having to copy and paste email addresses instead of just clicking on the "mailto:" link and having Thunderbird handle it...so, I made a script that some of you may be interested in :)

Code:

#!/bin/bash

url=$1

if [ $(pidof thunderbird-bin | wc -w) -gt 0 ]; then
# thunderbird is running
url=`echo "$url" | sed -e's/^mailto://'`
thunderbird -remote "mailto($url)"

else
# thunderbird is not running
thunderbird -P default $url
fi

Simply put this script wherever you will, then in Opera go to Tools/Preferences/Email, click on the "Use Specific Email Client" radio button, and put this in as the command:

Code:

/path/to/script/scriptname.sh %w

That's all there is to it, Thunderbird will now pop up a compose window when a mailto link is clicked on...whether you have Thunderbird open or not ;)
Shan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could probably be modified to allow firefox to acces http:// urls when your not using a full DE that allows you to automagically change program assignments ne? *bookmark*
Nephren-Ka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure could, fairly easily...I dont use firefox though ;) However I believe that some programs check an environmental variable to see what browser you want to use, such as $BROWSER, etc...you might want to look into that.

Shan wrote:
This could probably be modified to allow firefox to acces http:// urls when your not using a full DE that allows you to automagically change program assignments ne? *bookmark*
Shan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolies.

Now stupid BASH scripting question, how do you pass a variable (or switch such as "--pretend") from the command line and read it in the script self. This nugget of info has been holding back my scripting potential for a while and for some reason I've never been able to find a guide that could explain it to me.
Shan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, I got bored so I picked up a copy of Linux & Unix shell programming from the company library, I'm sure it'll explain things for me. *bury's nose in book*
Nephren-Ka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as you can see in my script...I do just that, use parameters passed to the script.
It's quite simple really:
$0 is the filename itself
$1, $2, $3, etc are the first, second, third, etc parameters that are passed to the program. Simple :)

Shan wrote:
Coolies.

Now stupid BASH scripting question, how do you pass a variable (or switch such as "--pretend") from the command line and read it in the script self. This nugget of info has been holding back my scripting potential for a while and for some reason I've never been able to find a guide that could explain it to me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: