Home-made Portage snapshot?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Home-made Portage snapshot? Reply with quote

Hello, world! :-)
I've just finished setting up Gentoo on my firewall and now I'm going to install it on my laptop. I still use a 56K dial-up connection and it does cost a lot, so I'd rather prefer not to repeat the entire installation process again. So I thought: instead of doing emerge sync I could just scp the whole /usr/portage/ directory stored on the firewall. Since I installed the base system, iptables and ppp on it, this procedure should give me the the entire Portage tree plus the ebuilds of the base system plus iptables and ppp, right?
spudicus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Home-made Portage snapshot? Reply with quote

sbx wrote:
I've just finished setting up Gentoo on my firewall and now I'm going to install it on my laptop. I still use a 56K dial-up connection and it does cost a lot, so I'd rather prefer not to repeat the entire installation process again. So I thought: instead of doing emerge sync I could just scp the whole /usr/portage/ directory stored on the firewall. Since I installed the base system, iptables and ppp on it, this procedure should give me the the entire Portage tree plus the ebuilds of the base system plus iptables and ppp, right?

Right. You'll still need to do the entire installation but you won't need to sync or download any files (unless you install something different. However the portage tree will only be as up to date as what your copying over.

Also, for future reference, search the forums for setting up an rsync server. That way each time you sync one computer, you can then sync the other computer straight from that (you can also get your packages this way as well). You could take this approach now, or once you've completed your initial setup.

Edit: Here are the links to the rsync mirror howtos:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=180336
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=173226

Last edited by spudicus on Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Shan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Home-made Portage snapshot? Reply with quote

sbx wrote:

Depends. The /usr/portage tree stores two sets of files. First is the ebuilds themselves, which are required for you to install a program via portage. The second are your distfiles, contained within /usr/portage/distfiles. These are the 'distribution files' (hence the name), which are generally source packages (though in some cases they can be binary packages as well). If your just going to 'clone' your system onto your laptop, then I forsee no reason why copying over /usr/portage would be a problem, so long as you retain file permissions and such. If you don't mind doing 'emerge sync' but don't want to download 100+ Megs in source files, you can just copy the contents of /usr/portage/distfiles

You might also want to think about setting up a local rsync server as its 'impolite' to sync more than once a day from the same location. See this for more on that.
sbx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Home-made Portage snapshot? Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
If you don't mind doing 'emerge sync' but don't want to download 100+ Megs in source files, you can just copy the contents of /usr/portage/distfiles.

Thank you both, guys! It's amazing what you can do with Linux. I won't be satisfied until I'll see it running on my PS2. :-)
Anyway, I think I'll scp the whole directory (emerge sync data is still 40+ Megs!). Again, thank you.
Shan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Home-made Portage snapshot? Reply with quote

sbx wrote:
Shan wrote:
If you don't mind doing 'emerge sync' but don't want to download 100+ Megs in source files, you can just copy the contents of /usr/portage/distfiles.

Thank you both, guys! It's amazing what you can do with Linux. I won't be satisfied until I'll see it running on my PS2. :-)
Anyway, I think I'll scp the whole directory (emerge sync data is still 40+ Megs!). Again, thank you.

Yeah, linux is grand isnt it? But it wouldn't be possible if it weren't for thousands of people like us at the forum, helping eachother, and helping the community.

As for linux on PS2? its already been done. In fact, I think you can BUY them that way from certain companies.
sbx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made Portage snapshot? Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
Yeah, linux is grand isnt it? But it wouldn't be possible if it weren't for thousands of people like us at the forum, helping eachother, and helping the community.

This makes it even greater! :-)

Shan wrote:
As for linux on PS2? its already been done. In fact, I think you can BUY them that way from certain companies.

Yeah, I already knew. But the idea still amaze me! :-)

Very well: I'm now typing from my brand new Gentoo laptop...thanks to you all! :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: