Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Graphical mailer *W/O* separate compose window?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laurence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Graphical mailer *W/O* separate compose window? Reply with quote

I was playing around with graphical mail clients, looking for one my wife would like. The
difficulty is that she can configure Lotus Notes to not pop up a separate compose window,
but rather edit in the preview window. I tried most everything in portage:

sylpheed(-claws)
evolution
kmail
thunderbird

And briefly glanced at:

spruce (er...)
exmh (yikes!!!)

(sorry, all you mutt fanatics, but it's not on the list for her--she wouldn't use a character-
based mailer if Donald Knuth, Leonardo DaVinci, and Jesus Christ collaborated on it).

Anyway, if any of these can be configured to edit in the preview window, I didn't find
out how. I considered just downloading some tarballs for clients not in portage, but
frankly I just got tired. If anyone could point me to a good, preferably slick-looking
(on the order of evolution or thunderbird, and definitely not exmh!) mailer I'd appreciate
it.

Dustin Laurence
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just thought that at least someone could drop a note to your thread. i'm sorry but i've almost tried as many mail-clients as you did - and i don't remember one having that feature. i've used evolution for a long time but i can't stand the new version (2.X) - i don't want some stupid toolbar covering my 12" tft (laptop). - so i'm just about to configure mutt the way i want it.
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used Linux since 1999, I'd have to say that you're out of luck. I've never seen a graphical mailer that didn't spawn a separate compose window, and not a single one that allowed the option of opening a compose pane in the main window. Sorry.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: