help with hdparm
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s003apr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: help with hdparm Reply with quote

I am having trouble using hdparm.

When I had previously started the installation,
Code:
hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda

had worked perfectly
After restarting my installation for a different reason, DMA setup no longer works.
I now get the classic
"HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted"

Several other posts have eluded to the fact that this could be a chipset problem, however they were intel chipsets and I am using a MSI KT3 Ultra2. Not to mention the fact that hdparm had worked successfully 60 minutes earlier when I had tried a different installation on this very same computer.

The steps I am going through (that I did previously) are:
login
Code:
passwd
pci-setup
hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda

I then figured out how to setup my network with some work and then decided to start again with a clean slate. i never even proceeded to partitioning.

does anybody have a clue as to what could possibly make hdparm just stop working from one install to the next?
I don't know if any of this will help but
Code:
hdparm -v /dev/hda

reveals multicount =0, IO-support = 1, unmaskirq =1, using_dma =0, keepsettings =0, readonly = 0, readahead=8 (on), geometry = 9729/255/63, sectores = 156301488, start =0

hdparm -t /dev/hda
reveals that the disk is reading at 5.77MB/sec
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend had the _exact_ same problem. Turns out it was a bug in a certain bios/chipset combination that was in conflict with kernel 2.4.19. You do have a different chipset, but I would try a different kernel. Try an older gentoo kernel (such as 2.4.19-gentoo-r7) or the vanilla-sources, or the ac-sources. In the case of the firend who was having the problem, using the newest ac-sources was the fix. Also, if you happen to have your kernel .config from the previous install, see if there's anything different in that from the current one.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: