Configuring install for my hardware
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexss3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Configuring install for my hardware Reply with quote

Yes, I'm new ok. I didn't get much help on my last post, so here goes another shot. Perhaps someone could help me write my make.conf file according to my hardware. I am running an AMD K6-2 400 MHz proc, 96 mb ram, 3 gb master, 1 gb slave, cd-rom drive. You decide what's best for me, pipe, fomit, etc. I would like to have kde and gnome I guess, I don't know much about them. Just get me to a good gui desktop. I was trying to do a netless install, but I have a nic card now, but my router broke so I can only have one comp plugged up at a time on the net. I have a universal LiveCD. I really don't want to compile kde and all that. Just help me do the simplist install possible.
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho you would be better off with something a bit lighter than kde or gnome, maybe xfce4 or something like that. Ultimately you'll have to be the judge to that. I'm not going to say anything about your use statement because I don't know that much about what you might have to do. Usually the default values are pretty good and I suggest you leave it for the time being and always use emerge -pv something to see what flags will be used. You can then change them to your preference. The rest I would put something like that:

CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=k6-2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"

You can then go for more radical flags later if you feel the need.
alexss3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm...for the USE flags, I am just wanting to get a running gentoo install. I want to listen to music and watch videos, that's about it. Don't have dvd or cd-rw capability. I'll start from the beginning and use your advice. Thanks. I'll be back as soon as I run into a problem.
alexss3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I'm emerging the gentoo-sources, I get a lot of
warning: built-in function 'log' declared as non-function

is this bad?

Also it terminated and I got this:
insmod.c: In Function 'nvc_strcmp':
insmod.c:228: internal compiler error: segmentation fault
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The warnings are generally nothing to be worried about as long as it compiles. Since the code is compiled on so many different machine some of them are bound to get warnings. The segmentation fault however is something a bit more worrying. Have you tried compiling it again? They can be caused by many things but most of them are hardware malfunctioning. If you get the same error again in the same place it's more likely to be something else.
alexss3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would No Network device detected during the hardware detection have anything to do with it?
alexss3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I think it is my cd, because I have now tried the same cd on two computers. I tried the same hard drive in my athlon xp computer (so I woulnd't lose winxp) and I got the same error when trying to emerge gentoo-sources that I got on the other comp (doing a stage3 install).

!!! File is corrupt of incomplete. (Digests do not match)
>>> our recorded digest: 5fc8e9f43fa44ac29ddf9a9980af57d8
>>> you file's digest: a9b0a2e206614c4a81412a95a9a7f769
!!! File does not exist: /usr/portage/distfiles//linux-2.4.25.tar.bz2

the digest number isn't that important because it changes everytime. Could this be a result of not md5summing?? Should I burn a new cd and try it again. Also I put a NIC in my other comp (k6-2) and I got it working, so I tried a stage 1 install. Well, it worked up until emerge sync, and bootstrap didn't work either. I pinged yahoo and used links to browse the web so I know I had connection.

Anyways, what should I do now?
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use the sources from the cd? If yes I would download a new iso and check the md5sum before burning. If no I would keep downloading the sources from different locations until I get a working copy. If your having other problems with the cd as well I would get a new copy anyway.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: