Getting /etc/group permissions to work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prince Caspian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Getting /etc/group permissions to work Reply with quote

I am having a very basic problem: Even when I add users to /etc/group, it doesn't seem to give them access to files that have group permissions for that group. For example, my /etc/group has the following line:
Code:
video:x:27:root,kris,martha

and my permissions on a device are as follows:
Code:
crw-rw----  1 root video 195, 255 May 23 17:22 /dev/nvidiactl

Despite this, running glxgears gives this error:
Code:
Error: Could not open /dev/nvidiactl because the permissions
are too resticitive.  Please see the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
section of /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for steps
to correct.

I've had similar problems with other devices, such as audio ones.

A final question: Once I get this working, can I put groups at the end of a group permissions line in /etc/group? For example, what I'd really like to have above is this:
Code:
video:x:27:root,users
brancaleone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Getting /etc/group permissions to work Reply with quote

I suppose you have been messing with the permissions of /dev/nvidiactl, etc, setting them manually.

The normal owner and group of that file should be:

Code:
crw-------    1 oscar    root     195, 255 Jan  1  1970 /dev/nvidiactl

Where oscar is the current Xwindows user.
If you login as george (both users are in the video group) the file properties should change automatically to

Code:
]crw-------    1 george    root     195, 255 Jan  1  1970 /dev/nvidiactl

I have tried it. I created a new user (george) and assigned him to the following groups:
audio, console, dialout, floppy, games, lp, video
Then I logged as george (with kdm), the file properties changed "by themselves" and I could run glxgears normally, with the nvidia hardware acceleration.

Regarding your final question, in my opinion the answer is a big, big NO!!
The names (root, etc) at the end of each group line are the users assigned to that group. I think you can't add groups to groups.

I hope this wil help you. Login as root, create a new user (I do it in KDE with kuser) add him to a few groups like the ones I mentioned and see if it works.
sapphirecat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting /etc/group permissions to work Reply with quote

brancaleone wrote:
The normal owner and group of that file should be:

Code:
crw-------    1 oscar    root     195, 255 Jan  1  1970 /dev/nvidiactl

Where oscar is the current Xwindows user.
If you login as george (both users are in the video group) the file properties should change automatically to

Code:
crw-------    1 george    root     195, 255 Jan  1  1970 /dev/nvidiactl

FWIW, that sounds like PAM doing its work, as defined in the /etc/security/console.perms file.

Prince Caspian, everyone who has logged in before /etc/group was changed needs to log out and back in for the new setting to take effect. You can verify whether the groups have changed by running the groups command.
Prince Caspian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Getting /etc/group permissions to work Reply with quote

Quote:
Prince Caspian, everyone who has logged in before /etc/group was changed needs to log out and back in for the new setting to take effect. You can verify whether the groups have changed by running the groups command.

Ah, that was what I was missing. Heck, I'm usually logged in for weeks or months at a time. Thanks for the help!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: