Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can the X serverlayout be changed on-the-fly?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevquinn
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Can the X serverlayout be changed on-the-fly? Reply with quote

I have a laptop with an ati radeon graphics chip, which supports dual-head with the first screen being the LCD panel and the second the external monitor. Dualhead works fine. Currently I have a Xinerama configuration with 1024x768 on the LCD and 1280x1024 on the external monitor (something the Windows drivers can't do :twisted: - the resolutions have to be identical on both heads).

However as part of the configuration, I have to write (from xorg.conf):
Code:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Screen 0 "Screen-LCD" 0 0
    Screen 1 "Screen-CRT" RightOf "Screen-LCD"
EndSection

This is fine at one location, but at another location I have the external monitor to the left of the laptop docking station. OK, I could move the monitor but that's not the point (and it would also mean relocating a shelf).

Currently, I've hacked a dirty script that lifts an option I've invented from /proc/cmdline, coded the option into grub to provide two different boots that end up setting the "-layout" option on the invocation of X.

Incidentally, I've done this by replacing the /etc/X11/X softlink with a script that invokes /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg, because I couldn't find any way to select the server layout apart from the '-layout' option - a shell environment variable would have been nice (could have set that in /etc/init.d/xdm for example). Am I missing something here?

Anyway, the main point is, can the layout be changed once the X server is up and running, without restarting X (and thus killing all the clients)? Something the Windows drivers can do :?
Angrybob
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadly I think the answer is no... the only runtime changeable thing seems to be the resolution.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: