Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
cdrecord-ProDVD vs. growisofs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which, in your experience, burns more compatible DVD-Rs?
cdrecord-ProDVD
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
growisofs from DVD+RW-tools
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
haven't used cdrecord-ProDVD enough to compare
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
haven't used growisofs enough to compare
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
other or don't burn DVD-Rs
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 17

Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: cdrecord-ProDVD vs. growisofs Reply with quote

I have a NEC ND-1300A and burn mostly DVD-Rs. I've been using cdrecord-ProDVD, but after using growisofs in OpenBSD, I'm considering switching. I saw a post (last one) claiming that cdrecord-ProDVD burns more compatible DVDs, but I couldn't find more info, so I figured I'd poll the Gentoo community before switching.

I have two reasons not to use cdrecord-ProDVD. The main reason is that it's not free and open-source. The other reason is the lack of OpenBSD support due to Jörg Schilling's binary distribution method. The only OpenBSD binary is a dynamic a.out, so it won't work with 3.2 (released Nov. 1 2002) or later. I e-mailed Schilling, but he said just use an ELF binary. I tried replying saying there isn't one and got no response.
abracadaver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experiences growisofs is the best way to go for +R, but I have not had a single -R dvd work with it. So I use growisofs for +R and cdrecord for -R. If I had my choice I'd use growisofs for everything though but I just bought a 100 pack of -R so I'm stuck with cdrecord.
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abracadaver wrote:
In my experiences growisofs is the best way to go for +R, but I have not had a single -R dvd work with it. So I use growisofs for +R and cdrecord for -R. If I had my choice I'd use growisofs for everything though but I just bought a 100 pack of -R so I'm stuck with cdrecord.

Interesting. I've had Ritek G04s (-R) work in a dual-layer NEC burner, but I haven't tested my 1300A with growisofs. I also haven't tested growisofs for the most difficult format, DVD video.
shadowman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried cdrecord-ProDVD, but I gave up on it pretty quickly as I don't have the patience to jump through all the licensing hoops. So I use growisofs exclusively, and it works like a charm with both +R and -R media.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use cdrecord-ProDVD via X-CD-Roast and only have burned DVD-Rs which have all turned out fine. I can't tell you which is better since I haven't used the other, but cdrecord-ProDVD works great for me.
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly new to this DVD writing business, having just got a Sony DRU 700A writer. Dual-layer writing capable (but no blanks to try it yet).

So far I've only used growisofs to burn (dvdbackup'd) DVD videos onto DVD-R and DVD-RWs and that's worked every time.

I only ever use cdrecord-prodvd if I need to use the -atip option to find out the Media Code for blanks, since that doesn't work with plain cdrecord and growisofs has no such option.
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gkmac wrote:
I'm fairly new to this DVD writing business, having just got a Sony DRU 700A writer. Dual-layer writing capable (but no blanks to try it yet).

So far I've only used growisofs to burn (dvdbackup'd) DVD videos onto DVD-R and DVD-RWs and that's worked every time.

I only ever use cdrecord-prodvd if I need to use the -atip option to find out the Media Code for blanks, since that doesn't work with plain cdrecord and growisofs has no such option.

Does dvd+rw-mediainfo (same package as growisofs) tell you as much as cdrecord-ProDVD -atip?
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
gkmac wrote:

Does dvd+rw-mediainfo (same package as growisofs) tell you as much as cdrecord-ProDVD -atip?

Yes it does. Thanks for that, didn't know that dvd+rw-mediainfo existed.
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

growisofs seems to work well, even with video DVDs. I unmerged cdrecord-ProDVD.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: