View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Xfree86 mouse troubles - [SOLVED] Reply with quote

After using X for a while (anywhere from 2 minutes to 30 minutes) all of a sudden X stops recognizing my mouse. The cursor gets locked on the screen and I can no longer use the mouse. I've tried different window managers (fvwm, fluxbox and kde) and it does the same in all of them, so I assume it is a Xfree86 problem. After this happens I normally hit <CTRL>+<ALT>+<Backspace> to stop X and then run startx to get it going again. Also, when this happens if I am working on PHP files they start giving me errors such as PARSE ERROR line 151: unexpected $. The problem is, the file stops at line 150 and I can't see the $ that is appended. First off, how can I fix the mouse stoppage issues. Secondly, can anyone tell me how I can recover my PHP files or fix them so that they don't have a mysterious $ on the end that I can't see when I edit them.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Unum

Solved - Faulty cord into mouse, was shorting. I didn't even suspect this at first as the mouse is less than 6 months old. I also solved the PHP problem, that one was due to a missing paren. Shame on me.

Last edited by Unum on Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
veezi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ..

Not that I know how to solve your problem, but it might help to post more details:
1. What type of mouse you have (USB, PS/2, WHEEL, etc.)
2. Post your XF86Config file.
2. Post few lines of X log file around the time the mouse stops working. File usually at /var/log/XFree86.0.log (if you started your session with a display manager) and in your home directory (if you started X by startx command).

Cheers,
Unum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vzeidat wrote:
Hi ..

Not that I know how to solve your problem, but it might help to post more details:
1. What type of mouse you have (USB, PS/2, WHEEL, etc.)

I have a Microsoft Optical Wheel mouse, that supports both USB and PS/2 through an adapter. Currently, I have it plugged into the PS/2 mouse port, as I can't seem to get my USB ports recognized.

Quote:

2. Post your XF86Config file.

I don't think this has anything to do with this. The mouse works fine when I start up X. It normally takes a few minutes for it to stop working. I can post this, if people really think it would help.

Quote:

2. Post few lines of X log file around the time the mouse stops working. File usually at /var/log/XFree86.0.log (if you started your session with a display manager) and in your home directory (if you started X by startx command).

I normally use the startx command, yet I don't have a log in my home directory. I do have /var/log/XFree86.0.log and the only thing this shows is what happens when I start X up. It shows nothing about the mouse going down.

My biggest concern right now, is what this is doing to my PHP scripts. I'm supposed to be working on a project that needs to be done ASAP, yet when this happens and I restart X a $ character gets appended to the end of all my scripts that I'm working on in terminal windows. When I'm working on these scripts that work fine, after restarting X they give me a PARSE ERROR on a line that doesn't exist. If file that I am working on is 120 lines, it will say PARSE ERROR: Unexpected $ at line 121. When I type :set number in vim to get the line numbers displayed, no line 121 shows up. Does anyone know how I can fix this now and I'll work on the mouse issues later.

Thanks,

Unum
drutten
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the end of the phpfiles look?
You haven't forgotten to end with " ?> " ?
Does this happen with all phpfiles or just some?
I't might help if you post a php-file.
Unum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drutten wrote:
How does the end of the phpfiles look?
You haven't forgotten to end with " ?> " ?
Does this happen with all phpfiles or just some?
I't might help if you post a php-file.

The end of the PHP files don't look any different. The error always references a line that is exactly one line past the number of lines in the file. So, if the file is 20 lines, it will say error on line 21, if 50, error line 51, etc. It seems as though it's screwing up the EOF, but I have no way of knowing as I can't access the line where it says the error is, because it acts as if the line doesn't exist. The only PHP files this seems to affect are the ones that I've been currently working on when my mouse dies and then have to <CTRL>+<ALT>+<Backspace> to exit out of X. It appears that exiting out of X is making this error (PHP issues) pop up.

Thanks,

Unum
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: