Remaving Accident
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
posthuman_5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Remaving Accident Reply with quote

Hi LOL this fill sound very stupid but i accidently when trying to remove a file i typed the asterisk (*) symbolwhen trying to press the "-" symbol, i pressed enter but i DID NOT checked if i typed everything correctly..LOL so i lost ALL MY IMPORTANT FILES.Like Music,family pictures,job documents and THOSE FILES A EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, especially the job ones! :'(
The command i typed accidetanly waS

rm -fr *

SO is there any way i can recover those files??
tapted
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unlikely... unless you have a backup.

ext2/3/reiser is not like FAT, so there's a chance that the physical space on the drive has already been reclaimed.

There are tools that attempt to recover data directly from physical patterns on the drive ... but all the free/trialware ones I've seen only support FAT and NTFS.

Otherwise, there exist security companies that can attempt to recover the data for you, but at great cost.

There is a gentoo package called 'testdisk' that undeletes partition tables, but it does not look like it recovers things deleted from the allocation table. Their homepage is http://www.cgsecurity.org/ -- you might find a link from there to something you want.. but I don't rate your chances.

Moo.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. Doesn't help you now, but you might consider an alias to use the -i option (prompt for confirmation). 'man rm' for more details.

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
jtaylor72
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accidentally ran mke2fs on a reisefs partition the other night, hda1 when I meant to do sda1. Anyway, after many hours of searching the net, I found this page...

http://forums.infoprosjoint.net/showthread.php?p=75262#post75262

It shows how to recover data from a reiserfs partition. I used the second approach he describes, and I got all of my files back. Definitely back up your data that is still there is your going to do this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: