yaboot passing wrong root partition [resolved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flickerfly
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: yaboot passing wrong root partition [resolved] Reply with quote

I've had this working before, but then I am starting fresh (cause I accidentally wiped out my partitions). *whoops*

It is a G3 Lombard PowerBook.

I've managed to get everything installed, I think, and compiled a kernel. Then I setup yaboot.conf and ran ybin. That seems to be working great. The kernel boots up and I see it mount /proc, then it tries to mount /sys and shoots out the error:
Code:
can't create lock file /etc/mtab~67: Read-only file system (use -n flag to override)

This doesn't seem to faze Linux until a touch later in the boot sequence. At "Checking root filesystem" it reports that /dev/hda5 has errors and all sorts of major problems that can't be fixed. Well, that's pretty obvious. /dev/hda5 is my NewWorld boot partition, not the root. Root partition is /dev/hda7 (swap is hda6)

I thought it might be the kernel's problem after digging around the yaboot.conf and seeing it set right so I moved the kernel from the LiveCD into /boot and setup yaboot.conf to boot from it as another option. When it boots, I receive the same errors.

So I've ruled out the kernel and it seems yaboot is installed correctly. I am sure that /dev/hda7 is valid and working because I can chroot in from the LiveCD. I'm left thinking it must be my yaboot.conf

I've run
Code:
yabootconfig -t /mnt/gentoo
from the LiveCD and the only question it asked was "Install yaboot bootstrap on /dev/hda5 to boot Linux from /dev/hda5?" and I took the default yes.

It built this yaboot.conf:
boot=/dev/hda5
device=hd:
partition=7
root=/dev/hda5
timeout=30
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lig/yaboot/ofboot

image=/vmliux
label=Linux
read-only

This yaboot.conf results in a kernel panic.

If at the yaboot prompt I type 'hd:7,/boot/vmlinux' I get the same errors about /dev/hda5.

Any recommendations? Anyone have some 'mac-fdisk -l' and 'cat /etc/yaboot.conf' they'd be willing to share from a similar PowerBook, the Pismo should be the same I think.

EDIT: Update --
I ran 'touch /etc/mtab' and that resolved the odd error about mtab at boot, but I still get the /dev/hda5 issue.

Last edited by flickerfly on Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
stimuli
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh...

root=/dev/hda5

is probably your problem ;)
flickerfly
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The autoconfig does that. If I change it to 7 it doesn't make a difference. It is set to 7 now. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

I also tried the command "hd:7,/boot/vmlinux root=/dev/hda7" but I guess you can't specify that on the command line or it's ignoring it.
flickerfly
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used mac-fdisk to move /dev/hda5 to /dev/hda2 wiped the partition out, wrote that table, recreated the partition using the instructions here:
http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/yaboot-howto.shtml/ch4.en.shtml

Then I ran mkofboot and ybin.

Code:
* Checking root filesystem... [ ok ]
fsck.ext3: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hda5
/dev/hda5:
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is invalid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem  (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
     e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

*  Filesystem couldn't be fixed  :(    [ !! ]

Give root password for maintenance
9or type Control-D for normal startup):

:-) Then I realized that my /etc/fstab was wrong and I've been looking the wrong way the whole time. It's working!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: