I want to use the bash colors that r used at initial console
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelbehr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: I want to use the bash colors that r used at initial console Reply with quote

Hi!

This is very simple: how do I change the table colors of, for example, my aterm?? I want to use the same colors that r used when I log in Gentoo, you know?? The default colors have to much contrast...

Thanx in advance!!
kiezpro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
aterm -bg black -fg grey
should do what you want. If you want to change this permanently, you could either edit the properties of the icon you click on to get aterm and add the command line parameters, or you could edit the .Xdefaults in your home directory and add these lines:
Code:
aterm*background:Black
aterm*foreground:White

See http://reviewed.homelinux.org/software/x11-terms/aterm/index.html.en for more details.
michelbehr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Oh boy, I knew it would be hard to explain... :-) Reply with quote

Ok, my fault, let me try again...

I know how to change background or foreground color, in aterm make tint transparency, change the font, etc... And I can gather this kind of information on the web as well, so its not a big deal... what I want to change is the colors displayed for each extendion of the files, when you run ls... For examples: compressed files are red, binaries green, directories blue... But this colors are too bright for me, blue letters on a black background are terrible for me... I want to change .dir_colors so ls can display smoother colors... For example:

Code:
.tar 01;31 # archives or compressed (bright red)
.tgz 01;31
.arj 01;31
.taz 01;31
.lzh 01;31
.zip 01;31
.z   01;31
.Z   01;31
.gz  01;31
.bz2 01;31
.deb 01;31
.rpm 01;31

# image formats
.jpg 01;35
.gif 01;35
.bmp 01;35
.ppm 01;35
.tga 01;35
.xbm 01;35
.xpm 01;35
.tif 01;35
.png 01;35
.mpg 01;35
.avi 01;35
.fli 01;35
.gl 01;35
.dl 01;35

This is my DIR_COLORS config file at /etc, and as far as i know this 01,35 or 01,32 define the color to be displayes on xterm, right?? Well, THAT'S what I want to change! Some would say "then chage it"!! :-) But the thing is I dont know what numbers to put so the colors look good on most backgrounds and second i KNOW somewhere on my sweet gentoo system theres a very nice table of this kind for me to copy/paste on my home directory as .dir_colors... The set of colors I want is the one that is used by Gentoo BEFORE you enter the X (startx), you know?? You see, im brazilian, so my english is terrible, so let me try to explain WHAT colors I want in very distinct ways:

- You know when you install Gentoo? And at boot time, what happens?? He asks: login and passwd... well, when u login, the bash prompt displays a sweet sweet set of colors. THATS WHAT I WANT!!! Am I being clear? Just when you turn-on your computer, the system shows what its doing on a verbose mode using colored text, thats the colors I want to use on my terminals when Im using the X...

I guess this is it... I know there r names for this things I said, but my vocabulary is too infantile to make myself clear in less than 50 lines... sorry for that! :)

Thanx in advance!!
kiezpro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's easy, too - there's a man page for dir_colors.
michelbehr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Again... Reply with quote

One more try...

I know dir_colors, i know how to edit it... i want to know WHAT colors gentoo uses at startup... u know those [OK] at the left side?? The nice red that is not too bright like in xterm?? WHAT ARE THE NUMBERS THAT REPRESENT THOSE COLORS, SO I CAN PUT THOSE NUMBERS ON MY .dir_colors CONF FILE??? WHAT NUMBERS REPRESENT THE COLORS THAT ARE DISPLAYED AT GENTOO STARTUP??? IF THERE WAS A DIR_COLORS FILE FOR THE COLORS THAT ARE SHOWN AT THE GENTOO STARTUP, WHAT WOULD THAT BE?? MAN... I dont how to put this...
michelbehr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: The set of colors I want is the one that is used by Gentoo B Reply with quote

The set of colors I want is the one that is used by Gentoo BEFORE you enter the X (startx), you know??

The set of colors I want is the one that is used by Gentoo BEFORE you enter the X (startx), you know??

Please read before answering... i KNOW how to change the colors, what i want to know is WHAT ARE THE COLORS USED BY GENTOO AT STARTUP!!! THE NUMBERS THAT REPRESENT THOSE COLORS!!!....
kiezpro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you didn't break your keyboard typing that reply. How about looking in the environment variables:
Code:
export | grep LS_COLORS

They're the same for X and the console. I.e. the same colour codes look different on the console or on X, because of different Gamma settings, different resolutions and a different font (the one on the console is much bolder). So I'm afraid you'll have to stick with the regular colours described in the dir_colors table because they're all there are.
kingsly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lines like this in your .Xdefaults will do what you are looking for...

Code:

!black
XTerm*color0:   black
XTerm*color8:   black

!red
XTerm*color1:   OrangeRed
!XTerm*color9:   OrangeRed

!green
XTerm*color2:   lawngreen
!XTerm*color10:  lawngreen

!yellow
XTerm*color3:   gold
!XTerm*color11:  gold

!blue
XTerm*color4:   steelblue
XTerm*color12:  cornflowerblue

!magenta
XTerm*color5:   mediumpurple
!XTerm*color13:  mediumpurple

!cyan
XTerm*color6:   cadetblue
!XTerm*color14:  cadetblue

!white
XTerm*color7:   grey81
!XTerm*color15:  grey81

Kingsly
michelbehr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Thanx!! Reply with quote

I think this is pretty close!! (For now im using this set u gave me, looks good!) But I think the colors used at console are a little bit different... How did u get those colors? Like i said, im using those, but now that people proved me that what i am looking for is real hard to find, im kinda a curious!... :-)

Thanx anyway!!

BTW, im having a little problem with aterm, dont know if u can help me out... the transparency only works full transperency, if I set shading (-sh 50 for example) the transparency doesnt work... well, in fact it works, but the image that is rendered at aterm background is the original image of the theme i use on fluxbox, and not the background that i set with fbsetbg... can u gimme some light about this one?! Thanx in advance!!
kingsly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got those by trial and error... basically I hated the "dirty blue" that was the default on X... once i had that fixed decided to play around a bit with other colors too.

You can find a list of named color options for X in your

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt

There are two properties that can be used when choosing the background by "transparent' apps... unfortunately most apps that set the background seem to turning only one of the properties on by default ... try using the same options for fbsetbg as used by fluxbox to set the background..
michelbehr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Solved! Reply with quote

Well, i found the colors a wanted (some guy made it by tried and error)... its pretty close to gentoo console colors:

XTerm*color0: #000000
XTerm*color1: #b21818
XTerm*color2: #18b218
XTerm*color3: #b26818
XTerm*color4: #1818b2
XTerm*color5: #b218b2
XTerm*color6: #18b2b2
XTerm*color7: #b2b2b2
XTerm*color8: #686868
XTerm*color9: #FF5454
XTerm*color10: #54FF54
XTerm*color11: #FFFF54
XTerm*color12: #5454FF
XTerm*color13: #FF54FF
XTerm*color14: #54FFFF
XTerm*color15: #FFFFFF

As for the transperency, I didnt get what u said, sorry!... :-( Im really a beginner, so... what properties??? I really dont get it... my aterm cant get transparent, i do "aterm -tr" and it givees me a black background... i tried setting a Xdefaults for aterm, but it doesnt work for transperency... Well, hope u can help me out... What are the config files aterm looks for when it opens?? Take it easy, im a rookie, ok?? :-) THX!!!
kingsly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The properties I was talking about are at the program level... I have never used fluxbox so I don't know how it sets the background.

Try checking out various the options for fbsetbg .. one of them might set the background property that aterm looks for.

I use fvwm-root/xv for setting the background.. and it works with aterm.

Code:

fvwm-root -r file.png
xv -root -maxpect -rmode 5 -quit file.jpg

fvwm-root is part of fvwm .. xv is a seperate package that is available in portage.
michelbehr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Thanx again! Reply with quote

You were right... fbsetbg was using a wallpaersetter that wanst working for aterm... I discovered that looking at the man page for fbsetbg: one oh the options was "-i Information about selected wallpaper comman" and when I did "fbsetbg -i" the message was that aterm transp wouldnt work, etc etc etc... It recommended other wallpapersetter, and one of them was from windowmaker.,.. so I emerged windowmaker, and not its working good... although when i use fbsetbg to set the wallpaper it gives me a error message:

wmsetbg warning: could not open domain file /home/michel/GNUstep/Defaults/WindowMaker

But at least its working... the shading is working to... thx!!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: