View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spockstar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: enlightenment installed ,help with the eye candy Reply with quote

i have completed a stage 1 install on my laptop ,i have enlightenment installed and running ,configured usb mouse and sound etc so now its time to spice up enlightenment with some eye candy.i iread about gdesklets and i like the look of them i tried to emerge gdesklets but with no luck , if i install a different theme for enlightenment what will this change from the base theme after install ? thanks for any help
apeitheo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: enlightenment installed ,help with the eye candy Reply with quote

spockstar wrote:
i have completed a stage 1 install on my laptop ,i have enlightenment installed and running ,configured usb mouse and sound etc so now its time to spice up enlightenment with some eye candy.i iread about gdesklets and i like the look of them i tried to emerge gdesklets but with no luck , if i install a different theme for enlightenment what will this change from the base theme after install ? thanks for any help

Installing a new theme will change the borders around all the Windows, and perhaps give you more options to choose from in the 'Desktop Background Settings" dialog. If you want theme transparency, as shown here, http://nightgrave.computed.net/view.php?screen=desk2.jpg You need the latest masked verion of Enlightenment:
(First make sure you have the latest version of portage) then add
Code:
x11-wm/enlightenment ~x86

(change ~x86 to your arch, if it's different)
and then do:
Code:
# emerge enlightenment

The latest version is current Enlightenment-0.16.7-PRE4 which is what I'm running in that screenshot. That'll give you transparency, which you can turn on/off in the "Desktop Background Settings" dialog at the bottom.

Currently I am running FVWM (Which is another WM, Enlightenment was based on this) here is a screenshot of that, http://nightgrave.computed.net/view.php?screen=fvwm02.png it gets me about 30 more fps in glxgears when I'm in it, haha, not that big of a deal. Although for a laptop it might be better. It's quite hard to set up though, the config file I have right now for it, is over 850 lines.

Good luck with configuring Enlightenment :wink:
spockstar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help.so where would i add this(x11-wm/enlightenment ~x86) to my make.conf file.does the ~86 allow me to install masked ebuilds or just the latest version of the software.i ask as i cannot install gdesklets to get my desktop looking respectable.
apeitheo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spockstar wrote:
thanks for your help.so where would i add this(x11-wm/enlightenment ~x86) to my make.conf file.does the ~86 allow me to install masked ebuilds or just the latest version of the software.i ask as i cannot install gdesklets to get my desktop looking respectable.

You add
Code:
x11-wm/enlightenment ~x86

to the /etc/portage/package.keywords file (Something to do with portage, they no longer want people to use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" when emerging something, what this will do, is enable you to type:
Code:
# emerge enlightenment

and have it emerge the masked version.

As for your gdesklets question, I do not know since I have not used it. Good luck :wink: [/code]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: