Oops, lost password prompt
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonasx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Oops, lost password prompt Reply with quote

I'd been working on a samba based file server for work and everything seemed to be going great. I had the machine up and logged on as root for 3 or 4 days. After making a few kernel config tweaks, I rebooted the machine and now I can't login. I get a prompt for the user name, enter root, then I get no password prompt. It just goes immediately back to a login.

I'm not sure at what point I goofed, but I had been playing with the pam config files to try to get an auto created home directory structure for users when they first log in. I assumed that I messed up the config file.

Unfortunately I hadn't added ssh to the default run level, but I did have webmin. I was able to log in through webmin and edit the pam config files to the original (i think) copy. I'm still having the same problem.

Any ideas how to start diagnosing this problem?

Thanks!

edit:

Think I answered my own question: In the system messages log I found entries

Code:

Jul  1 15:23:04 Samba login[5505]: PAM (login) illegal module type: umask=0077

seems that when I removed one of mkhomedir.so module using the webmin interface, it didnt remove this part of the line. Maybe I messed up the syntax when I initially put it in...oops. I cant test it as I am not at the consile, but I'll bet that te problem.

edit 2: yep that was it..:)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: