Upgrading to GCC 3.2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Upgrading to GCC 3.2 Reply with quote

Ok, so I got bored last night and decided to update my system to a GCC 3.2-based system (aka 1.4) using the scripts from the guide. Things were going swimmingly. I had an issue with g++ not being there but a quick forum search gave me the answer and I was back on my merry way.

While all this updating was going on I was trying to do my normal computing routine and I noticed that SSH wouldn't start. It was complaining about not being able to find libz.so.1. I looked around and found libz.a but nothing else. I attributed this to being in the middle of the update process. Perhaps bootstrapping got rid of this library which is no longer needed but SSH wasn't updated yet so it still needed it.

This morning when I woke up I started the emerge -e world part to get everything up to speed with my new GCC. I'm not really sure where I am in the emerge but it's been running for 5 hours. I had been sshing into my box from work but then it stopped accepting my password. Maybe it's a config problem.

I also found that fetchmail no longer wants to fetch my mail. It gives me protocol problems. I'm not really sure why this stuff isn't working. Perhaps it has to do with me setting my system to unstable back before I decided to go GCC3.2. It was probably stupid on my part not to bring it back to a stable state before upgrading. I remember that when I changed to unstable SSH got updated to 3.5p1 or something.

Has anyone else had any issues like this. Does anyone have any thoughts. I'm just curious as to why this is going on. I'm waiting for the world rebuild to finish. I figure it will probably be done by tonight or in the morning at the latest (the biggest thing is X...I have no gnome or kde). Luckily I made the appropriate backups of /home, /etc, and my kernel config in case I need to hose the drive.

Live and learn.
HogRider
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two thoughts...

First, you did note that login's will fail until you complete stage 3? (looks like you've made it past this section)

Second, did you install the gcc-compat? Else, you lib's are gone, got some clean up to do, but I believe the scripts will take care of it for you.

"Computers are like air conditioners, they stop working properly if you open Windows"
perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: