Mozilla & Firefox crash randomly
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Mozilla & Firefox crash randomly Reply with quote

I have tried for months (off and on) to solve this, or at least search out an answer but it doesn't seem like others are having the same difficulty as me. Both my favorite browsers (the ONLY browsers for me) crash randomly. Sometimes they crash almost constantly, sometimes they run quite well. It (the crash) always occurs when clicking a link. It They started on my an hour ago and I was running it from a terminal (as usual) and the only message I ever get is:
Code:

ioctl SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT: Invalid argument
/dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

but it doesn't necessarily crash at that specific moment. I can usually reproduce it by visiting extremetech.com as that site crashes it a lot. I don't believe it is totally based on code though, as I have had it crash when visiting gnu.org as well. However, this only happens on my iBook. I have never had 'zilla troubles on my Athlon desktop. This is my 2nd stage1 install on this iBook. The 1st was compiled with quite a few gcc optimizations and everything ran great other than 'zilla. This one, a little more conservative, is as follows:
Code:

Portage 2.0.50-r8 (default-ppc-2004.1, gcc-3.3.3, glibc-2.3.3.20040420-r0, 2.6.4)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.4 ppc 0
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Autoconf: sys-devel/autoconf-2.58-r1
Automake: sys-devel/automake-1.8.3
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="ppc"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=750 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe"
CHOST="powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu"
COMPILER="gcc3"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=750 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="ccache"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X arts berkdb cdr crypt cups debug divx4linux dvd encode esd fbcon foomaticdb gdbm gif gnome-libs gpm gtk2 imlib ipv6 jpeg kde libwww mitshm motif mozilla mpeg msn ncurses nls oggvorbis opengl oss pam perl png ppc python qt readline sdl slang ssl tcpd truetype xmms xv xvid"

I am running fluxbox-0.9.9 with a minimal amount of software in my world file. The odd thing, is Konqueror doesn't seem to have this problem (though I really dislike K as a browser). I emerged kdebase so I could have Kontact & k3b :)

So, if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate hearing them.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ @ oc'd to 2.3ghz
DFI Lanparty UltraD nForce4 SLI
2x1gb Geil PC4000
GeForce 7800GT
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
200gb Maxtor DiamondMax 10
74gb WD Raptor 10k RPM
senor_fjord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: same problem Reply with quote

I have the exact same problem on my pbook. It only seemed to begin when I migrated to firefox 0.9 afaict.
scruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real pisser ain't it? Turns out I have to send my iBook in AGAIN for a new logic cable (just got it back 3 weeks ago), so I am going to reinstall Gentoo when I get it back with really conservative cflags, and also use a version lower GCC than is default for 2004.1. I like to wipe out Gentoo when I send off the iBook for repairs in case they feel like telling me it's my fault for running Linux on it :)

If any of this makes a difference I'll let you know.

2x1gb Geil PC4000
GeForce 7800GT
74gb WD Raptor 10k RPM
stimuli
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were your compiler flags or GCC version, a LOT of other people would be having the same problem. They aren't. My guess is that it is one of mozilla's dependencies (ie: libpng) that is causing the instability. By reinstalling linux, you will likely solve your problem, but it will not be because of GCC/CFLAGS

edit: LOL, having said that, firefox is now crashing randomly on me! Should have knocked on wood...
boojummy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This also happens to me, and I don't think my compiler opts are all that extreme:

Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -mcpu=7400 -maltivec -mabi=altivec"

I am also running fluxbox (0.9.9, although this same thing happened in 0.9.8) and I also noticed that it started happening with Firefox 0.9 series.

I haven't reproduced this bug, but then again I haven't tried. I also updated my libpng yesterday (PNGs weren't showing up since 0.9), and I haven't seen the crash happen since then. HTH.
porodzila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe there is a reason why firefox .8 is still the latest unmasked version for ppc, submit your bugs I bet it will be fixed quite soon.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved my Firefox and Thunderbird crashing problems by recompiling with gcc-3.3.3_pre20040426. I had previously been using gcc-3.3.3_pre20040408-r1. If you'd like to try this, make sure that you also add -fno-strict-aliasing to your CFLAGS.

Good luck!
scruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I had a feeling it was compiler related. I have had several other issues with this release such as not being able to compile qt. I tried that for weeks using every tip I could search out and wound up using the packaged qt from the cd. A friend solved the qt problem by actually downgrading gcc, but that seemed to cause him more trouble than it was worth.

My iBook is getting a new logic board atm, but I'll try it out when I get it back and post the results.

2x1gb Geil PC4000
GeForce 7800GT
74gb WD Raptor 10k RPM
scruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks to JoseJX for not only providing the solution, but also providing me with the .bz2 needed to emerge gcc-3.3.3-20040426 as it appears no longer available from Gentoo's mirrors. It not only appears to have solved my Firefox problem, but I was finally able to compile QT and a working version of Abiword which previously on gcc-3.3.3-20040406 would segfault everytime I tried loading it up. Aterm was also unusable after compiling with 20040406 but runs fine on 20040426.

FYI: I used the same CFLAGS as my old install so they appear unrelated. Updating gcc should be the definite fix. If anyone wants/needs the version I am now using let me know and I'll upload it to my site.

<edit> Get the .bz2 here: http://www.xptweaks.org/gcc-20040426.tar.bz2 and put it in your /usr/portage/distfiles directory.

You will need to create the directory /etc/portage if it doesn't already exisit. In it, you should create 3 files: package.keywords package.mask package.unmask

Edit package.keywords and add this line:
~sys-devel/gcc-3.3.3_pre20040426 -*

Edit package.unmask and add this line:
=sys-devel/gcc-3.3.3_pre20040426

Then you can just do 'emerge -u gcc' to update to this version.
</edit>

2x1gb Geil PC4000
GeForce 7800GT
74gb WD Raptor 10k RPM
soujirou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote