Copying installation to another box
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_male
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Copying installation to another box Reply with quote

Hi All,
I have an stage1 installation on my P4 box and want to make a copy of it (Installed packages I mean) on my laptop wich is not P4. My own installation is compiled for P4 cpu, so, simpe cloning hdd won't work I guess. That's the question: What is the easiest (and maybe automated) way to copy my box onto another one.

Thanks for your attention.
donjuan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably used CHOST=i686-pc-linux-gnu, so assuming that your laptop is newer than a Pentium (Pentium Pro was the first i686) and you haven't used the P4 march setting, I think you should be fine copying/cloning everything. The P4 march setting will probably break compatibility with your laptop, so if you have used it just skip to my last paragraph. If you used mcpu in your CFLAGS, from what I've read, that is compatible with i386 (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this).

As far as copying everything is concerned, you might be able to just tar your whole system and transfer it. You would probably want to use a LiveCD for this so you don't end up trying to copy a bunch of files that are only available while the system's running (like what's in /proc). I've never tried this before so I'm not guaranteeing anything. If you happen to have a cloning program then you should be set. I'm not aware of any available for Linux, but my dad had a copy of Norton Ghost and I still had Windoze running when I tried a clone, so I just used that and it went without a hitch. It ended up cloning my Linux ext3 better than my Windoze oddly enough.

Of course after all this is done you'll have to recompile the kernel and reconfigure everything that's specific to the box.

If, on the other hand, you have used the P4 march setting in your CFLAGS, then you are probably out of luck. In that case you may want to look into distcc, which is really pretty easy to setup, so you can get your P4 in on compiling stuff for your laptop. You can find the guide at:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=3
_male
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donjuan wrote:

If, on the other hand, you have used the P4 march setting in your CFLAGS, then you are probably out of luck.

yep. That is the case. Installed Gentoo for the first time, never managed to think ahead :)
Ok, the question is how do I recompile everything (with distcc or without it) for another box with another settings in make.conf (I won't use march anymore! honestly! :)

So as I think I should go like this:
- bootstap
- copy portage and distfiles
- emerge system
- copy my world file
- reemerge everything.

right? But how do I "reemerge everything"? And will this scenatrio work for me?
Hauser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="_male"]
donjuan wrote:

But how do I "reemerge everything"? And will this scenatrio work for me?

I think it is "emerge -e world".
Try
$ emerge -pe world
first to see the list. :)

Do I like to compile everything?
Positive definite!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: