Little help needed.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v8vito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Little help needed. Reply with quote

Hi, how are you?
im trying to install gentoo on my new pc. and im having problems that i see are "very" common. Problems with the S-ATA disk configured as raid0.
I booted knoppix successfuly, and i did an lsmod.
I wanted to know how can i tell the kernel to load and unload the modules i need/dont need.
PS: my system: ASUS p4p800-E deluxe / P4 3.2 HT / Hitachi HDS722516VLSA80 as raid0
i can boot the gentoo 2004.1 with : smp-nofb acpi=off pnpbios=off nohotplug

OH!, it also gives me an error with HT! it says "No processors registered. Disabling SMP support" :/
Thanks for your time!.
donjuan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to load and unload modules using modprobe <module> and rmmod <module>, respectively. In both of these cases omit the '.o' or '.ko' at the end of the module filename.

I haven't used SATA, but I did look into it when I was buying a new board, and determined that RAID on the new boards wasn't a good route to go since there didn't seem to be any support for the manufacturers' new on-board RAID yet. Since companies tend to not write their own Linux drivers support for this stuff tends to lag in Linux. So I've found that it's generally a good idea to check to see if a piece of hardware is supported in Linux before you buy it.

If you still want to try it, to see if there is support for your RAID (I'm assuming you're using the on-board RAID) you can boot off the Gentoo LiveCD using: gentoo doataraid. In this case you will address a partition on the array as /dev/ataraid/discX/partX and the entire disc as /dev/ataraid/discX/disc for stuff like fdisk. Note that if you use on-board RAID you cannot use a 2.6 kernel, which is probably part of why you're having trouble with smp. For further information about RAID in Gentoo check out this post:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=145245&highlight=promise+raid.

However, if you decide to ditch the RAID there are plenty of posts on the forums about SATA.

As for the HT problem I don't have a P4 so I can't really help you. There might be some other post that you can find in the forums.

If you do use the 2004.1 LiveCD, watch out for this:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=166814&highlight=
I've been using the 2004.0 LiveCD because of that, but its drivers probably aren't as up-to-date.

Edited so the module loading and unloading commands are in a more understandable order.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: