[Fixed] error with module nvidia.ko
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
odegard
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: [Fixed] error with module nvidia.ko Reply with quote

I just reinstalled my system from scratch. After emerging xfree, nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx i get a module named nvidia.ko (notice the extra 'k') and I can't load it. I've searched the forums but found only posts listing nvidia.ko, not discussing it. Why is it now .ko and not .o? Did I do something wrong? I'm using 6016 and xfree 4.3.0-r6.
Any help appreciated.

Odegard

EDIT: The errormsg I get is:
Code:
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.7-gentoo-r8/video/nvidia.ko): Invalid module format

EDIT: Well this is embarrassing. I reemerged nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx, rebooted and now it works. Almost like windows :-D
wolfger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: [Fixed] error with module nvidia.ko Reply with quote

odegard wrote:
EDIT: The errormsg I get is:
Code:
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.7-gentoo-r8/video/nvidia.ko): Invalid module format

EDIT: Well this is embarrassing. I reemerged nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx, rebooted and now it works. Almost like windows :-D

I am getting the same error message, and re-emerging the nvidia stuff and rebooting is not fixing it for me. :(

(side note: I am attempting to use my 32-bit t-bird system on my new AMD64, if that makes any difference)
odegard
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kernel version are you using? What nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx versions?
wolfger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kernel is 2.6.7-gentoo-r8 exactly as in the original post.

nvidia-kernel and -glx are x86 stable emerged this morning... I will look up the version numbers when I get home.
odegard
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then perhaps it's a problem with 4k stacks. Don't ask me for details but only the newest nvidia drivers which are masked support 4k stacks and the kernel you're using enables 4k stacks by default.
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this error the other night when I tried to downgrade my nvidia drivers. I was using the latest with 4k stacks in my kernel so I unemerged them, rebooted into an 8k stack kernel, emerged the older drivers, got that error when I modprobe nvidia. I even tried to relink /usr/src/linux to a different source without 4k stacks but it didn't seem to help. I ended up just using the nvidia-installer and going back with the latest drivers and my problems went away for now. My guess is that the error is 4k stack related though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: