Reiser4 fstab parameters?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luqas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reiser4 fstab parameters? Reply with quote

Are there any special parameters to set in the fstab for reiser4? The only option I have is noatime based off of the old reiserfs setup. Do you need notail (or should I only on the boot partition)? I only have / on reiser4 and /boot is still on ext2.

The reason I ask is it seems that reiser4 seems to corrupt more easily than reiserfs. I know it is experimental still so it might be the nature of the beast. I didn't know if something was just not set correctly.

Thanks.
Marctraider
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just do this in your fstab file:

Code:
/dev/hdax       /        reiser4       noatime         0 0

That should do the job, however i de-recommend reiser4.
There are a lots of people having lockups and crashes etc, i tried reiser4 tweice, first time i had no problem, next attempt gave me kernel oops error.
GPU: HD2600XT
SATA: 3x 250GB.
luqas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here.... I seem to be having sporadic lockups and oopses. I am going to let it go for another week or so and see what happens. I just installed the love8's so we will see what happens.

Thanks marctraider
stahlsau
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i´ve used reiser4 for everything except /boot a while ago, it was rockstable. Sadly enough, after some benchmarks i did, it proved also rock-slow.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8)

Last edited by Gentree on Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were your bench marks?

I saw a similar post of yours in a different thread and it prompted me to do a couple of tests. There seems to be so much conficting advice on r4.

As a quick test I formatted a bit of free space under various formats (jfs xfs r3 and r4) and set it a as PORTAGE_TMPDIR.

First test was emerge gftp to see if there was a significant effect on compiling.

In short all came out around 48s with r3/r4 being a second or so ahead - not worth counting for non-competition useage.

Conclusion : the file activity is not a significant part of this task.

Secondly I tried cp -a /usr/src/linux /tmpdir and then rm -fr /tmpdir

Code:

fs      cp -a      rm -fr

ext2   2m15     7.54s
jfs    2m55     20.6s
r3     2m31     1.62s (sic)
xfs    2m04     12.2s
r4     1m46     15.8s

Conclusion 2 : on these tasks jfs looks positivly sluggish. And r4 is a good length ahead of the field on the copy.

Reiser4 is reckoned to be good for lots of small file operations so it is presumably less good for other things.

Like yourself, I have used it for a good time: about 4 months with 2.6.6-love4 kernel , including massive rebuilds after moving the system over to gcc 3.4 . No issues for me 'under heavy load'.

I think certain people have been using unstalbe r4 on unstable or dev-edge kernels then start screaming when things go wrong.

In what tests did you find it slow?

I think it is a case of horses for courses so it's good to know the strengths of each fs and use it where it performs best.

The great thing about Linux is I can plug different file systems into my tree however I like. Currently I have /boot as ext2 ; root as reiserfs and the whole of portage on r4.

Once I have a fuller picture this will probably change.

Got any figures?

8)
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dryre wrote:
Same here.... I seem to be having sporadic lockups and oopses. I am going to let it go for another week or so and see what happens. I just installed the love8's so we will see what happens.

Thanks marctraider

I decided to stick with 2.6.6-love4 , for just this reason, it seems to have no issues with r4. (I think this was the last love kernel where steel300 was involved) . I keep an eye on the love threads but it seems that R4 is not a priority for OnebyOne who appears to be the new love-man.

I live in hope , otherwise I've been eyeing up Reedeman's offering that is heavily into r4.

8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: