Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Things to know when going Opteron?(SCSI/Rackmount Questions)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhujhiti
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Things to know when going Opteron?(SCSI/Rackmount Questions) Reply with quote

I'm going to be purchasing a dual Opteron 244 server soon, but there are some things I want to be sure of before spending all this cash:

- Rackmounts: The current plan is to get a RM1010, which says it will take dual Opterons. My concern is with the height of the heatsinks. I've seen very few 1U Opteron chassis, and I wonder if this is because the retail heatsinks don't fit the chassis. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

- Hotswap SCSI: I think I'm aware of everything I need for hotswapping SCSI disks: SCA drives, an SCA backplane, and a controller that won't puke when I pull the disk out. Is there anything else? The motherboard (a Tyan Thunder K8S Pro) has a hotswap-compatible controller (per the datasheet on the SCSI controller, rather than on the motherboard). It looks like there are 68 pin connectors onboard. Will I need a 68 pin -> SCA adapter, or should the backplane have a 68 pin connection on the back of it?

Other comments (known problems with Linux on any chips I may have?) are welcome, as well :D
jthompson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try these folks.

They build it for you for $65. They offer Chenbro cases (I think that is what you are using). They do offer 1U opteron's I think.

www.monarchcomputer.com
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: