a few installation questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JesterMania
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: a few installation questions Reply with quote

Hello.

I've used Windows all my life and I'm thinking to switching to Linux (maybe...if everything works out). I've decided to pick Gentoo and I've done some reading/searching but I still have a few questions about what to do during installation:

1. After installing from Stage 3, I'll have a barebones Linux system up and running. I want to install X11 and KDE from the packagecd containing the precompiled binaries. Do the installation instructions from the "Desktop Configuration Guide" cover that? Because it seems to me more like it's installing X11/KDE from source...(I want just to use the precompiled version found on my packagecd).

2. How to install support for viewing filenames encoded with Japanese in an NTFS partition. I have a backup partition currently in NTFS and many files are named in Japanese, but I remember booting with a live-cd like SLAX and it totally misses these Japanese files.

3. This is a funny one. How do I use the exact same "Larry the Cow" bootsplash and the purple color-scheme for the shell that is used in the 2004.1 LiveCD installation? They look wonderful and I want the exact same things on my final system. :lol:

Sorry if this is too long or I'm asking questions already answered (in which case kindly link me to the right place). Your help is appreciated.
t3rm1nal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JesterMania,

1.Something I suggest to everyone doing a fresh gentoo install. :) Follow the gentoo handbook line by line especially if its your first time through - trudge through a stage 1 and manual kernel configuration - requires more time - especially all the reading - but is much more worth your while. The whole philosophy of gentoo becomes void if doing anything but a stage 1 install.

2. Not sure exactly about the japanese type files - but probably a samba share of some sorts.

3. Sure, grab the image off the cd if you can find it - or DL it and if you want to use it as a desktop or something - im sure you can add it in the KDE config files - I've never used KDE all that much except for on a red-hat box. I recommend fluxbox for windows management.

Adopt an unanswered post.
CompNerd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a guide for internationalization of your install.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml

As for the bootsplash, that bootsplash is installed when you emerge bootsplash. Search on the forums for the guide to install bootsplash.

As for the installing a X Server and KDE from source, I dont know for sure. I believe that you can use the --use-pkg to do that. I would check on that with someone else.

Hope that helps.

CompNerd
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Most gentoo things assume installing from source. Try emerge -K for prebuilt packages

2. :D Haven't got a clue

3. There's a howto on this somewhere on the forums. Possible in the Bootsplash howto:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=49036&highlight=bootsplash+howto

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
JesterMania
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks for all those replies so fast. I'll be installing Gentoo soon on VMWare and hopefully get a fully-running/customized installation. Then I'll move onto installing it for real once all issues are resolved. :) I'll messsage back if I run into any problems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: