Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to migrate mozilla mail from xp to gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revoohc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: How to migrate mozilla mail from xp to gentoo? Reply with quote

Subject says it all, I'm looking for help to migrate my mozilla mail and settings from xp over to gentoo. I am going to reconvert my laptop to gentoo since I have been given a new laptop by my work. All of my personal mail is on the laptop in Mozilla mail.

Thanks for any help on how to do this.

revoohc
matroskin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have imap/ms_exchange server, copy all your mail to it, and get it from gentoo.
or ask at mozilla/thunderbird forums
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can setup your email account on Gentoo and then just copy over the old email data, here's the locations (think I have them right). This will also work if you want to move to Thunderbird, except it will be in the thunderbird directory instead of mozilla obviously :)

c:\documents and settings\<user login>\application data\mozilla\profiles\default\<random string>\Mail

~/.mozilla/profiles/default/<random string>/Mail

Or you can copy over everything starting from the Profiles directory, then edit the prefs.js file and fix the several lines that point to where your email is stored, I think this will make it work, might also just fire up Mozilla and fix where it thinks your email is stored from there. I wouldn't try this method if you want to move to thunderbird since you'll probably get a lot of crap in your prefs.js that you don't need, might not even work.
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe both mozilla mail and thunderbird both use the mbox format for messages. thus, you should be able to just crawl the xp directory (as noted below) grab the files and drop them over.

it's really easy if it's a dual boot that you can read, but either way it should be pretty straightforward. and if you want to move to evolution on gentoo, it'll read the mbox files as well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: