Fully working stage 1 install with KDE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maeglamor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Fully working stage 1 install with KDE Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'd just like to thank everyone who's contributed to this forum, all those little bits and pieces of information have helped me to get a stage 1 install fully up and running on my thinkpad. :)

I've had a few goes at installing on my main PC and it's given me enough experience to get the lappy fully working. I have a few things to sort out like USB storage (which I've already seen a guide for here ;) ) and just generally getting to know linux but I have to admit that other than a little confusion at the file system layout I think that this isn't going to be half as difficult as I envisioned.

Anyhow, I thought I'd share so that anyone else who's put off by the thought of a stage 1 install because it looks/sounds too complicated should have a go.

BTW the install guide wasn't half kidding when they said that the KDE compile is a lengthy affair. ;)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations.

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
HydroSan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see that Linux is working for you. You should get more aquainted with it, and then proceed to customize it to your exact needs or wants. (E.g: Bootsplash, IVMAN, custom kernel patchsets, etc.)

Server status: Currently down, being replaced with fresh install - 20% completed.
Maeglamor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys (and apologies for posting in the wrong forum 8O ).

I'm beginning to move away from windows, like many other users I'm still encumbered by my want to do things the windows way but I'm learning slowly but surely and as I've said, linux and gentoo in particular are impressing me very much; options, options, options. :)

The sheer amount of info to take in is a bit crazy though, all those man pages. :?
I've just been trying to identify the more important subjects and read up on them and I seem to be doing quite well thus far, all the information is there for the taking if you have the persistance to learn a little.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB storage is actually fairly simple so I think you'll be able to get that going with no problem. If you ever need any pointers on software and such don't be afraid to PM me. Glad to hear it's all up and going. :)
Maeglamor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got USB storage up and running without a problem, both my keydrive and external HDD work flawlessley now. :)

Still playing with emerge and portage to get an idea of how everything works, I'm wondering if there's a way to import/export all of my desktop/taskbar etc. settings between users, it seems likea bit of a pain to have to manually copy each config. I guess I'll go ask in the desktop forum. ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: