View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birju
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: X not starting - radeon 8500 Reply with quote

I'm having trouble getting X to work. I've emerged Xfree86, and the ati-drivers, and followed the directions in the gentoo handbook concerning the desktop environments. I used fglrxconfig to configure my XF86config script (I also used xf86config in earlier attempts, they failed).

Here is the problem; when I type startx, the screen goes black. That's it. I can't even stop X by using ctrl-alt-backspace. I can get back to a VC by using ctrl-alt-FNx.

I even tried loading the basic vga drivers at low resolution and I get the same black screen.

I am using a radeon 8500 LE w/ 128 MB of RAM
I've used the kernel settings listed and instructions listed here:
http://odin.prohosting.com/wedge01/gentoo-radeon-faq.html

I've posted my XF86config-4 file, dmesg, and XFree86.log at:
http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~patelb/

I've run other linux distros on the same machine with no problems with the flgrx drivers. I don't know what could be wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, I think your problem may be down to the security options you appear to have enabled in the kernel, judging by your dmesg output:
Quote:
PAX: execution attempt in: <anonymous mapping>, 081fd000-08278000 00000000
PAX: terminating task: /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86(X):5016, uid/euid: 0/0, PC: 082629c8, SP: 5bf972bc

From that and the extremely short logfile you have, it looks like X is being killed before it gets a chance to do anything much at all. I've never used grsecurity and the other related settings, so I can't say what might be misconfigured (I'm guessing it shouldn't be doing that :)). If you didn't enable them yourself, I guess the easiest thing to do is just turn them off in the kernel, recompile, reboot, remerge the drivers and try X again.
Birju
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll look into setting up grsecurity properly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: