View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metalshark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

Nippy as in proftpd, ssh, sftp, samba, tomcat, openswan and distccd are instantaneous for clients connecting whilst I get on with Gimpshop, Kate and running Amarok.

For instance hosting a LAN party using a NETGEAR router set on RADIUS linking back to my crappy BIOSTAR 200N machine which was running two games servers and a mass file share for people to dump and retrieve, running a single distcc compile and playing a game. Admitedly I do put more RAM in when required (2GB in that case) but normally run it on 512MB.

It's not the volume of stuff it can do at once that I take as the main point - its the quality of service - low latency connections for clients - and sustained multi-users.

I've just stuck the gubbins into /etc/init.d/local.start but wanted to know if there was a correct place for it. Just realised this is a Vivid-Sources thread (should read titles) and can repost + remove from here if anyone knows where I can get an answer.

PS:

Nippy
adj
Definition: agilely

A better word would have been:

Agile
adj
Definition: Moving or performing quickly, lightly, and easily: brisk, facile, nimble, quick, spry. See ability/inability.

Last edited by metalshark on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get nibby now. What about gubbins!? Sounds like tribe of small creatures that may take over my computer case.
metalshark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Gubbins Reply with quote

You're right to be confused it's not in the dictionary and a classic example of appauling English (my bad :oops:). Prefer your answer of the small tribe - Gubbins means the "Required insides" - so for humans thats a heart/paceMaker, lungs, etc. Or for a script its more like a comment saying "# Please don't crash".

Have been retesting different IO Schedulars this weekend on some seriously old equipment.

CFQ: Seems to perform horribly on any machine and scenario I can put together (this doesn't mean it's bad it's just I can't find a use for it).

Anticipatory: Still don't like this - anything that has a nice of 1+ seems to perform ssslllooowwwlllyyy even if top reports a 0%,0%,0% usage... Framebuffered text seems to move like honey down the screen (slow).

Deadline: My favourite although it has one bug. If you are running more than one copy of a program (like emerge - which I know your not mean't to...) then whichever window has focus - or whichever ALT+Fx you are on - if it is showing the first instance of the program you launched it will make Jack skip (yet not report XRUNS !?!).
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gubbins Reply with quote

metalshark wrote:
You're right to be confused it's not in the dictionary and a classic example of appauling English (my bad :oops:). Prefer your answer of the small tribe - Gubbins means the "Required insides" - so for humans thats a heart/paceMaker, lungs, etc. Or for a script its more like a comment saying "# Please don't crash".

Have been retesting different IO Schedulars this weekend on some seriously old equipment.

CFQ: Seems to perform horribly on any machine and scenario I can put together (this doesn't mean it's bad it's just I can't find a use for it).

Anticipatory: Still don't like this - anything that has a nice of 1+ seems to perform ssslllooowwwlllyyy even if top reports a 0%,0%,0% usage... Framebuffered text seems to move like honey down the screen (slow).

Deadline: My favourite although it has one bug. If you are running more than one copy of a program (like emerge - which I know your not mean't to...) then whichever window has focus - or whichever ALT+Fx you are on - if it is showing the first instance of the program you launched it will make Jack skip (yet not report XRUNS !?!).

CFQ is best for desktop usage, but not for fast file transfers.
metalshark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Play things Reply with quote

Anyone interested in still tweaking, etc especially in schedulars should have a look at the 2.6.16-nitro1 build https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3122934.html#3122934. Works like a charm for messing with schedulars. However be warned - Reiser 4 partitions will move to 1.0.5 and are difficult to move back (not really an issue as RIP 14.9, a quick 31MB download works with them).

You have to use the in kernel ieee80211 not the package, and there are custom required ebuilds for madwifi support.

Do an ebuild /path/ebuild unpack for both the tools and the drivers (take a copy of the folders if your portage tmp is in RAM) if you require madwifi for the net else you'll not have support when it reboots.

Submount and fuse ebuilds refuse to compile - fuse support is in the kernel and I am still at a loss to what submount does (except presumably make ivman work properly with KDE in regards to CD/DVD icons on your desktop when you pop one in your drives(s)). Any guru style advice on getting my KDE icons back (yes I have checked the behaviour settings and searched Google) would be much appreciated.

BTW a setting of 2:16 for Stair Case seems to do wonders for dropping that Frames/Period setting in JACK on budget sound cards (onboard NForce2 now takes a 32 setting, a PCI Envy24 works dropped to 16 and an EGOSYS WaveTerminal 24/96 can do a 50 meter word clock cable on 16).

Very, very happy - Linux seems to have gone low latency in such a short time maybe it's pressure from Motorola after their new single chip mobile phone low latency kernel (drools for day we see these kind of things in PC DSPs... and no Creative's Audigy 5's don't cut it).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: